Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

New tire advice

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2011, 07:31 AM   #1
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
New tire advice

I am searching for replacement tires for my '08 Tacoma. The oem BFG Rugged Trails (265x70r16) have 38,500 on them and have developed severe dry rotting w/ cracks that run around the entire tire between the treads. A dealer said that the tread life may be around 3000 - 5000 more before replacing, although the cracking could cause failure (it was garage kept for 3 years). I am looking for a replacement that has better treadlife and at least similar - preferably better - performance than the BFGs. Most of my driving is road/highway, but I occasionally spend time on dirt roads, fields, etc. - not serious off roading, but can get muddy at times. I am looking at Firestone Destination ATs - how do these stack up to the BFGs - is mpg worse? Or, is there a better tire that will suit my needs? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-29-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought the Destination A/T's and like em'. I've had them for maybe a month. The tread is enough that they look like they will be good in the snow, yet i haven't noticed a difference in mileage. I upsized slightly from the OE.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
Bean&Cheese Taco
tiresmokintacoma is a name known to alltiresmokintacoma is a name known to alltiresmokintacoma is a name known to alltiresmokintacoma is a name known to alltiresmokintacoma is a name known to alltiresmokintacoma is a name known to all
Army: E-2   13Fox
Name: VIC
tiresmokintacoma's Tacoma Gallery
get some bfg all terrains. Mine have 40,000 miles on them and they still have good tread left. Plus i wheel the shit out of my truck and those tire have gone through some crazy stuff. They have chunks missing and cuts all over the place. Still ride like new
Old 06-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #5
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbishopp View Post
WNYTACOMA... what did you have before. The show room tires? I need to replace these POS Dunlops and the dealer suggested the Destination LE's. Look good but like you need the snow capability too.
Yeah, i had the OE, but mine were the BFG 'Rugged Trails'. They blew, and even more so in the snow. On top of the lousy snow performance, i lost the first one while driving in rain to Grand Island when a sharp piece of plastic stuck in the sidewall and emptied it within minutes.

The 2nd, i took a nail towards the sidewall in 'no repair' range. That was enough of that, and i went in and after a good amount of research, i got the Destination AT's.

I like them as i said, and really haven't noticed any change in mileage, despite the more aggressive thread and slightly larger tire. (Went to the 75's)
Old 06-29-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
These... perhaps the best tire

I have put on any of my Tacomas...

Hankook Dynapro ATM 265/75-16
Old 06-29-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
If it's road driving, nothing out there touches the Michelin LTX MS/2 IMO. I've seen absurd mileage on sets of those things.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #9
YellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YellowDog01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
If it's road driving, nothing out there touches the Michelin LTX MS/2 IMO. I've seen absurd mileage on sets of those things.
X2, I know some people that have 80k on them
Old 06-29-2011, 07:43 PM   #10
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDog01 View Post
I know a guy with some on his Dodge 2500 dually that are a shade over 100k and look like they could go another 10k. Ridiculous.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #11
YellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YellowDog01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
I know a guy with some on his Dodge 2500 dually that are a shade over 100k and look like they could go another 10k. Ridiculous.
Wow. That's impressive. They are great tires. Almost everyone that has had them swears by them.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:45 PM   #12
Eurosport has a spectacular aura aboutEurosport has a spectacular aura about
Eurosport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDog01 View Post
i don't think i'd want a tire with 80k on my car, that many heat cycles....

MS2 are overrated for how good they are, yes their tread does last longer than other tires but they lose in the grip and performance areas.
they are a hwy tire all depends on one's needs i guess, just saying that there's a lot more to take into consideration when buying tires, conditions, climate, road surfaces, driving habits, all play a role in finding the right tire...
Old 06-30-2011, 04:22 AM   #13
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the advice...

It's very difficult to make a decision on these tires because I don't have a lot of experience buying tires... As I said, 90% of my driving is road/highway (to work, etc) and also dirt roads, fields - but no "real" offroading, I guess - I am just looking for a quality replacement tire that will meet all my needs and yet have better tread life and at least the same mpg...
Old 07-01-2011, 09:12 AM   #14
Beretta Taco
Mescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant future

Firefighter: Come from a family of Army and Air Force
Name: Matt
Mescalero's Tacoma Gallery
would be happy to help you get these near cost, just let me know what you end up wanting!
Old 07-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #15
kws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kws129's Tacoma Gallery
I have a set of Toyo open country A/T's they were reasonably priced and I feel the quality is very good.

I've put hundreds of tires on (used to work in a garage) and am very fussy with balancing etc and these tires balanced up with no trouble and have been good since I have about 10k on them with no trouble.

There are lots of good tires out there but I think the Toyo's are a very good value.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #16
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, I have run the Toyo Open Country AT and Cooper Discoverer ATRs on my '05 Taco... and they were very good, I would buy them again if I didn't find a better tire! I like my Hankook ATm's even better, so far!