LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

PSI question

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacosupreme54's Tacoma Gallery
PSI question

I have a couple of quick questions. I just got a set of 295/75/16 hankook mt's. Their max psi is 65. Discount tire installed all four of them at about 35 psi, but they look a little low to me. I know keeping them too low will also wear them out quicker. Higher psi will give slightly better gas mileage. But inflating them too high will make them ride pretty rough and make them easier to puncture. So what in your opinion and from experience is the best psi to run for these with a 65 psi max? maybe 50 psi? or around 40 psi?

Also another quick question: what effect will cutting my exhaust behind the axle have? I have a 14" magnaflow muffler, but my tip is just getting rusty and I'd like the cleaner look without it. Will it make the sound any/much different? Also, will it hurt anything like the spare tire or need another hanger to support it?

Thanks in advance guys
Old 06-30-2011, 11:04 PM   #2
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
id fill it to 40-45, remember air heats up as a tire rolls and increases psi, my taco is filled to 35. plus it depends on your avg load range, ex my doally has load range fs filled to 95
Old 06-30-2011, 11:05 PM   #3
Ez2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud of

Navy: Aviation Structural Mechanic (Structures and Hydraulics) VFA-25
Ez2typethis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme54 View Post
I have a couple of quick questions. I just got a set of 295/75/16 hankook mt's. Their max psi is 65. Discount tire installed all four of them at about 35 psi, but they look a little low to me. I know too keeping them that low will also wear them out quicker. Higher psi will give slightly better gas mileage. But inflating them too high will make them ride pretty rough and make them easier to puncture. So what in your opinion and from experience is the best psi to run for these? maybe 50 psi? or around 40 psi?

Also another quick question: what effect will cutting my exhaust behind the axle have? I have a 14" magnaflow muffler, but my tip is just getting rusty and I'd like to look cleaner without it. Will it make the sound any/much different? Also, will it hurt anything like the spare tire or need another hanger to support it?

Thanks in advance guys

You could probably run those tires around 35-40 psi and be good. 65 psi is too high IMO tho.

Cutting the tail pipe will make it louder slightly and would probably not have any other adverse effects.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Chalk line test
Old 06-30-2011, 11:18 PM   #5
tacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosupreme54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacosupreme54's Tacoma Gallery
alright, i rarely haul anything. every so often i will load up the fourwheeler in the bed or a couple on a trailer, but that's not often. so 40, maybe 45 psi for daily driving with no load? and do you guys think i will need to re-support my exhaust after cutting it? and is a sawzall with a metal blade gonna do alright on cutting that?
Old 06-30-2011, 11:45 PM   #6
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
x2 chalk line test, as for the exhaust dump, i had no noise difference when chopping my stock one, can't imagine it being much different with yours.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:50 PM   #7
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Hankook Dynapro MT's have a max inflation of 80 lbs
Old 06-30-2011, 11:52 PM   #9
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
these 295s have a max of 65
Odd
Old 06-30-2011, 11:56 PM   #11

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yeah, most of the typical sizes for that tire have 80 psi max, but idk. what psi do you suggest oz-t?
Not that I was doubting you , but the Max PSI does drop to 65 at the 295's per Hankook's website

I did the chalk test on my 265/70/17 MT's and have them at 34
Old 06-30-2011, 11:59 PM   #13

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
do you run that same pressure on all four? why do some people run a lower pressure on the rear? because there is less weight in an empty truck bed?
I have a commercial cap on my truck and I carry tools a lot .

If the bed was empty all the time I would probably run the rear a couple pounds lower
Old 07-01-2011, 02:45 AM   #15
Rellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant futureRellik01 has a brilliant future
Law Enforcement: Police Officer (retired NYPD)
Name: Craig
Rellik01's Tacoma Gallery
The MFG suggested inflation on my 2011 TRD Sport is 29 lbs. front and rear for stock size tires. That seems awfully low. What would you all suggest for stock size tires?
Old 07-01-2011, 08:24 AM   #16
Pakow is one of the sharper tools in the shedPakow is one of the sharper tools in the shedPakow is one of the sharper tools in the shedPakow is one of the sharper tools in the shedPakow is one of the sharper tools in the shedPakow is one of the sharper tools in the shedPakow is one of the sharper tools in the shedPakow is one of the sharper tools in the shedPakow is one of the sharper tools in the shedPakow is one of the sharper tools in the shedPakow is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ryan
Pakow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
do you guys think i will need to re-support my exhaust after cutting it? and is a sawzall with a metal blade gonna do alright on cutting that?
I cut mine with a hacksaw in about two minutes, a sawzall should do the trick in a matter of seconds.

No additional support added for the exhaust and it does just fine.

Oh, and chalk test for the tires.