Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

8 Ply or P rated tires?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
8 Ply or P rated tires?

I am looking to pick up some new tires for my truck in the near future and I have been taking a hard look at the Nitto Trail Grapplers. The problem is that they only come in a Passenger rated tire and the next lowest is D Rated tire (or 8 ply). I'm thinking that 8 ply would be super stiff and that P rated would be too gentle of a tire... Thoughts? Or do I just ditch that type of tire and go for something like the Duratracs where I can get something like a 6 ply?
Old 07-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
T-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T-rev's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
I am looking to pick up some new tires for my truck in the near future and I have been taking a hard look at the Nitto Trail Grapplers. The problem is that they only come in a Passenger rated tire and the next lowest is D Rated tire (or 8 ply). I'm thinking that 8 ply would be super stiff and that P rated would be too gentle of a tire... Thoughts? Or do I just ditch that type of tire and go for something like the Duratracs where I can get something like a 6 ply?
I have a set of 285/65/18 Nitto Terra Grappler's in 8 ply and they ride pretty firm. I am kind of in the same boat here, I will be needing a new set of tires shortly and don't know if I should get these again or go with something that's a lighter load capacity.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
P rated Firestone ATs FTMFW
Puncture resistance? That is my main concern
Old 07-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
The tires that Toyota puts on our trucks (Off Road TRD 4WD) are P Rated. Unless you are constantly hauling a heavy cargo, no need to change to a heavier tire, right?

I have P rated Hankook's, they are doing fine...
Old 07-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #6
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
The thicker sidewalk of the non-p tires offer better sidewalk stregnth for offroading as well as hauling/towing. Trade that for a stiffer ride while unloaded.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #7
Vivid Illumination

I need all of the sidewalk strength I can get...

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming!
Old 07-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
beerking is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeerking is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeerking is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeerking is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeerking is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeerking is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeerking is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeerking is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeerking is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeerking is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeerking is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Flightline Avionics Technician
Name: Trey
beerking's Tacoma Gallery
I have P rated Hankooks, as well. I've aired them down for some pretty intense beach off-roading, done some normal off-roading and they've performed very well. I got the P rated tires to save some weight and to have a better ride, as I don't do a lot of towing.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #9
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 10 ply E rated Hankook Dynapro MT's

Nothing is gonna damage the sidewall on these , but it's a stiffer ride especially with the box empty
Old 07-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #10
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
The thicker sidewalk of the non-p tires offer better sidewalk stregnth for offroading as well as hauling/towing. Trade that for a stiffer ride while unloaded.
^^^ This
Old 07-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #11
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
I need all of the sidewalk strength I can get...

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming!
If I were offroading (or even gravel roading) a lot I would have gone something in D at least. I'm 95% highway so I bought my Hankooks in P. Lost less than one MPG going from 245/75 to 265/75. I made the right choice for me, but it sounds like you need an offroad tire.