1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Online Tires/Wheels - TPMS?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by BGrutter, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Jul 2, 2011 at 9:47 PM
    BGrutter

BGrutter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Baron
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DCSB TRD OR
    Rear-View Camera Mod, Anti-theft Tailgate, No Mud-Flaps, Diff Breather Mod, Color-matched Mirror/Handle covers, Front Valance mod, Phone/GPS/Camera mount, and Illuminated 4x4 Switch ToyTec Ultimate Lift Light Racing UCAs
    In advance, I tried searching to find a good answer, but was unable to.

I've just ordered my new Lift&UCAs. I was about to pull the trigger on a new set of tires and wheels (DuraTracs and ProComp 8089s) from 4wheelparts.com. Then it occurred to me that they will be mounted/balanced and shipped ready to go, but with no TPMS (I have to assume).

So, I'm wondering what others have done when ordering online. I know I can just ignore the TPMS light, but I'd really rather just convert it over so that it's functional. However, if 4WP is going to doing all of the work, is it going to be all for not if I have to bring it to a local shop to install the sensors? Basically, will they have to take off the tire and redo the balancing that I'm already paying 4WP for?

I have considered just buying the tires from a local shop (they've said they'll match online prices with shipping included), but after looking at wheel options, I'm a bit hesitant. At this point, I'm tempted to order the wheels I want and have them shipped to the shop for mounting/balancing. I plan to go there anyway for my alignment. It just seems pretty complicated and I was liking the idea of Installing the Lift and wheels/tires all at once and then driving down to have the alignment done.

Any suggestions or facts that I've simply overlooked?

Thanks in advance.

2. Jul 3, 2011 at 6:52 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yeah the shop will have to take the tires off the rims and rebalance in order to get the sensors in. I think you are best off just ordering the wheels and having them shipped to the tire shop, as you noted.

3. Jul 3, 2011 at 8:11 AM
    BGrutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Baron
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DCSB TRD OR
    Rear-View Camera Mod, Anti-theft Tailgate, No Mud-Flaps, Diff Breather Mod, Color-matched Mirror/Handle covers, Front Valance mod, Phone/GPS/Camera mount, and Illuminated 4x4 Switch ToyTec Ultimate Lift Light Racing UCAs
    Figured. I guess that at least this way, I might be able to get hazard coverage for my tires that I always but never end up using...

4. Jul 4, 2011 at 4:42 PM
    sdtag

sdtag Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DC LB
    lifted 2", snug top, tube steps
    I ordered mine from Discount tire online. I thought they were going to come assembled and balanced and they didn't. I called and the guy on the phone explained that because of the TPMS it is better to ship dis assembled. I ordered the TPMS rebuild kits, 3.00 each, as opposed to new TPMS sensors, at 70.00 each. I took my rims and tired to America's Tire Store and they rebuilt my TPMS's, mounted, balanced , and installed the rims and tires onto my truck for 19.95 per wheel.
    not too painful overall. I'd do it this way again.

5. Jul 4, 2011 at 9:23 PM
    BGrutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Baron
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DCSB TRD OR
    So, is a rebuild kit necessary? Can't they just remove the assembly and transfer them to the new wheels?

6. Jul 8, 2011 at 6:09 AM
    sdtag

sdtag Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DC LB
    lifted 2", snug top, tube steps
    I don't even know what's in a rebuild kit, I never looked. It's probably 1 or 2 gaskets or o rings. But for 3.00 a tire what the heck.

7. Jul 8, 2011 at 6:10 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    That's exactly what is it :D

Products Discussed in

To Top