1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Studs or not?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Simon's Mom, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Oct 15, 2008 at 6:50 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom [OP] Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Looking for some input before I pull the trigger:

There is a set of studded Cooper Discover M+S Snow Groove 265 70 R16 in claiming great condition (1 season) for sale in my area for $250 obo. I've been pondering running dedicated snows this winter for I use to do a rim/tire swap on all my old Toyota trucks before tire monitors systems.

What is on my truck now is a winter-rated A/T but that did me little good when I hit black ice & had a little fender bender :rolleyes:

Has anybody used these specific tires? Vermont laws let you run studs so thats not a problem and I do run studs on my car (nokian) just never on my truck. In the past, its been Blizzaks. Because of the accident, I think I need something with a little more bite. FWIW, I do a lot of inclement driving because I snowmobile and ski, plus many backroads which are not paved.

2. Oct 15, 2008 at 9:00 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    Sounds like a good deal, but check the Cooper site on what the depth tread is new, and a gauge to measure what these used ones are.

Father in law is on his second set (unstudded), he got over 30K out of them running year round. Good tire, probably not as good on hardpack/ice as my softer compound Blizzaks, but the Cooper M+S lasts longer and better off-road tread.

Your call on studs, depends on your typical winter road condition. How often is road glare ice... I used to run them, great when every side/back road was packed snow/ice for whole winter some 10-20 years ago, but now they salt the hell out of every road. Studs dont do much in the snow/slush, mainly for ice, and studless technology has come a long way.

No more pitted driveways and buzzing on dry roads for me, but if you want ultimate winter traction over the drawbacks, The extra $100 may be worth it.

3. Oct 15, 2008 at 9:42 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    Pretty much the same story here on studded tires. I used to run them in the winter back in the 80's and 90's.They were fantastic when I lived in the sticks. But now on maintained roads they reduce handling a lot more often than they help so I havn't bothered getting any for this truck.

4. Oct 19, 2008 at 2:43 AM
    AK Backcountry

AK Backcountry Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eagle River AK
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road
    Snugtop, Scangauge II, iPod Adaptor, Redline Hood Struts, Removed Secondary Air Filter, De-badged, AFE Drop In, Westin Oval Steps Future: Locker Anytime
    I have a set of studded Cooper M+S on an F-150 and they are a good tire. A few years ago we moved out a less maintained road and I had to put studded tires on my wife's car. I got Hankooks and I'm very happy with them. So when I got my Tacoma I got Hankooks. Not sure if they are any better, I think both are good tires.

I got the truck too late last winter to put them on and the snow is just starting to fly, so not sure how they will do. As a matter of fact I just put them on today.

Products Discussed in

To Top