Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

First post is a beat to death tire question.

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
jburetz is on a distinguished road
jburetz's Tacoma Gallery
First post is a beat to death tire question.

Hello from a first time poster. I just got my first taco last week. Its a 2009 4 Door 4X4 TRD Sport. Currently it has 265/65/17 Dunlop Grandtrek tires(bald) on it and im going be getting some new tires in the next few weeks. Ive read all the post talking about the biggest tire, the best tire, etc. Now that im ready to start shopping i want to make sure of a few things. Sticking with everything i have now(Stock 2009 TRD Sport) the largest tires i could run without rub or having to do any major mod is a 265/70/17? Another question would i be better to stick with a 17" rim or drop down to a 16", ive read alot of post about more rubber than rim being better, why is this? Also being a sport model, will i have any problems running an offroad/all terrain tire? Thanks for any information you can provide.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburetz View Post
Hello from a first time poster. I just got my first taco last week. Its a 2009 4 Door 4X4 TRD Sport. Currently it has 265/65/17 Dunlop Grandtrek tires(bald) on it and im going be getting some new tires in the next few weeks. Ive read all the post talking about the biggest tire, the best tire, etc. Now that im ready to start shopping i want to make sure of a few things. Sticking with everything i have now(Stock 2009 TRD Sport) the largest tires i could run without rub or having to do any major mod is a 265/70/17? Another question would i be better to stick with a 17" rim or drop down to a 16", ive read alot of post about more rubber than rim being better, why is this? Also being a sport model, will i have any problems running an offroad/all terrain tire? Thanks for any information you can provide.
Yes you can fit the 265/70/17 no problem, or 265/75/16 if you downsize to a 16" rim.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "will I have any problems running an AT tire on a sport"?
Old 07-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
jburetz's Tacoma Gallery
tires

Well i was looking at getting some more aggressive tires(looking at duratracs, kelly safari tsrs, or a kumho road venture m/t) as opposed to the milder all season dunlops im running now. While i expect to loose the smooth ride and develop some road noise are there any other issues i may encounter with a mud/off road tire.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
You can run an AT tire, It will potentially ride a little rougher is all, depending on the tire you pick.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
jburetz's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the quick replies.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
More sidewall typically provides a cushier ride. Then again on road it won't corner quite as well but in a truck it shouldn't really matter. It will also air down better off road.

Tires for a 16 are typically cheaper as well. I'd just stay with stock wheels unless you want something else though.

No issues with whatever tire you want to run. 265s should be perfect
Old 07-05-2011, 06:20 AM   #7
TacoMan709 will become famous soon enough

TacoMan709's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburetz View Post
You are right about the maximum tire size for your setup. Go with the 16" rim if you can, just because more sidewall is not only better for a "cushier" ride, but it adds an extra inch between the side of your rim and the rocks when you're off road. Think about it: if you're spinning in a rut with rocks on each side, which wheel setup is gonna catch the rocks first?

My buddy just upsized from 16" to 17" rims (we drive 1st gens) and after one wheel his pretty little streetlocks have definitely gained some "character." We did air down, though.

But hey - in the end, who gives a friggin frig?
Old 07-05-2011, 06:28 AM   #8
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
If you switch to 16s just be aware that some brands and models of 16s do not clear the Tacoma brake calipers.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:05 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMan709 View Post
You are right about the maximum tire size for your setup. Go with the 16" rim if you can, just because more sidewall is not only better for a "cushier" ride, but it adds an extra inch between the side of your rim and the rocks when you're off road. Think about it: if you're spinning in a rut with rocks on each side, which wheel setup is gonna catch the rocks first?

My buddy just upsized from 16" to 17" rims (we drive 1st gens) and after one wheel his pretty little streetlocks have definitely gained some "character." We did air down, though.

But hey - in the end, who gives a friggin frig?
You only gain 1/2" of clearance between the ground and the bottom of the rim going from 17" to 16" rims (assuming overall diameter stays the same). You are correct though, 17's will hit the rocks before 16's.