Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Yet another nail in the tire!....

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-15-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
slimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant future

slimcubby's Tacoma Gallery
Yet another nail in the tire!....

I got my second nail in my terra grapplers today... this time the f-er was just a dull round flank of metal (like a broken screwdriver but thinner and flat ended). So I am beginning to think that the TG's are very soft.

Since I had to get my tire plugged when they removed it how long do those plugs last for? Is it ok to offroad with a plugged tire? I am quite depressed about it... the first screw was so small that it didn't puncture the tire so they just pulled it out.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Quit driving through the hardware store!........j/k......I've had plugs I put in myself that lasted the life of the tire, not even a slow leak. That included offroading.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I think the nails are the problem, not the tire being "soft". You could always run the "Tweel":
Old 10-15-2008, 08:51 PM   #4
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
In my old Civic, I got three nails in one month. Two were in the same tire.

My mom had three flat tires in 19 years. I think I shattered her record.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
slimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant future

Haha I remember seeing this picture posted when I used to belong to an Audi forum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I think the nails are the problem, not the tire being "soft". You could always run the "Tweel":
Old 10-15-2008, 09:09 PM   #6

Ok thanks for the replies I feel a bit more safe now... Anybody know what the torque specs are for our lugs? I feel that the guy didn't do a good job torquing when I heard him yelling at the wrench when it kept slipping and hitting his knuckles...
Old 10-15-2008, 09:09 PM   #7
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
My ex wife called me once and told me she had two flat tires. I went to get her and the kids, her car was sitting in a gas station with the two passenger side tires not just flat but actually split open.

Asked her what happened. She said "I hit the curb right over there". Asked her how she managed that, did someone run her off the road?

She says "No I had to sneeze". Being of unsound mind and a glutton for future no sex nights, I asked her how sneezing ran her into a curb.

She says "Well I had to cover my mouth!"

So in order to save about 1 friggin hundredth of a cent worth of Windex, she took her hands off the wheel and took out two 85 dollar tires going off the road.

Back on topic: I used a tire plug kit on one of the rear tires of my 68 Charger. It held through many a smoke show. Wouldn't hesitate to use and trust them.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:09 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimcubby View Post
Ok thanks for the replies I feel a bit more safe now... Anybody know what the torque specs are for our lugs? I feel that the guy didn't do a good job torquing when I heard him yelling at the wrench when it kept slipping and hitting his knuckles...
I think the factory wheels are 85#
Old 10-15-2008, 09:17 PM   #9
tacomud987 is an unknown quantity at this point
tacomud987's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacomud987 Send a message via MSN to tacomud987
patching is the best and safest tire fix because when you plug a tire, you are technically making the whole bigger. ASE certified technicians say that patching is by far the best way to repair a tire and it only costs about 25 bucks.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomud987 View Post
patching is the best and safest tire fix because when you plug a tire, you are technically making the whole bigger. ASE certified technicians say that patching is by far the best way to repair a tire and it only costs about 25 bucks.
Hmm now I need to call tomorrow because I am not sure if it was a patch or a plug?!
Old 10-15-2008, 09:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I think the factory wheels are 85#
Do you know if it would be diff with my aftermarket wheels? I am running 16's with 265/75's.

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2008, 09:42 PM   #12
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
hey meee too. while taking my tires off to install my lift last weekend, i noticed that 2 of my tires had nails in them
Old 10-15-2008, 10:09 PM   #13
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I had a blot through one of my nitto grapplers...oh man i was pissed, that sucker was huge! But....easy fix at the tire shop on base. I think it cost me like 7 bucks to have it patched.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:10 PM   #14
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
im gonna agree that patching is a bit better than plugging the tire....but a tip for if you plug a tire: after its plugged, catch the end of the plugs on fire with a cigarette lighter and make them melt a bit. dont ask me why...but i have always done this and never have had any problems with it this way.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:03 PM   #15
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Costco knows me by name

I have had so many nails in my BFG's.
When the Costco tire guys see me coming in the door. "They say White Tacoma" .

I am doing my part recycling metal, so you don't have too!
Unfortunately my tires can only be fixed twice (high performance tires). Luckily I saved a good tire when I had a blowout on the interstate. I recently had to add that tire to the rotation. My last nail/screw/piece of freakin metal, etc. Was the third for that tire. Well that saved me from a $300 dent in my pocket for a new tire. Don't get me wrong the BFG G-Force tires are awesome tires. But at $300 a piece, I won't be buying them again. I'm looking at some Nitto high performance street tires for half as much.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:25 PM   #16
Runs with Scissors
Radelix has a spectacular aura aboutRadelix has a spectacular aura about

Radelix's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Radelix
Wow, out here I dont see too much metal in the road but I did hit a mattress and entertainment center in my VW, I learned a lesson that day
Old 10-15-2008, 11:28 PM   #17
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radelix View Post
Wow, out here I dont see too much metal in the road but I did hit a mattress and entertainment center in my VW, I learned a lesson that day
What was that? VW and entertainment center don't mix.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:45 PM   #18
Lean Mean MPG Machine (best = 27)
pidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud of

Name: Stefan
pidro_el_pirata's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radelix View Post
^ +1 how did that happen?? lol
Old 10-15-2008, 11:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
im gonna agree that patching is a bit better than plugging the tire....but a tip for if you plug a tire: after its plugged, catch the end of the plugs on fire with a cigarette lighter and make them melt a bit. dont ask me why...but i have always done this and never have had any problems with it this way.
Do you want to melt it on the inside of the tire before mounting? Or on the outer part of the tire?

I will do it tomorrow when it is light out and can see where its at.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:20 AM   #20
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimcubby View Post
Do you want to melt it on the inside of the tire before mounting? Or on the outer part of the tire?

I will do it tomorrow when it is light out and can see where its at.
just on the outer part of the tire...........just get it to where its good and sticky.....and this should do the trick.