Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Do i need to swap my tpms sensors?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-07-2011, 11:58 PM   #1
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Do i need to swap my tpms sensors?

So im getting some new tires tomorrow, i have the stock trd off road rims and tires now. I have a set of 17 inch sport rims in the garage, these are the rims im going to mount my new tires on.

My question is, is it worth it to swap the tpms sensors from my old tires to my new ones? Or just leave them out of my new wheels and tires and dont worry about it?

Personal experiences, comments, ideas all welcome...

thanks brett
Old 07-08-2011, 12:05 AM   #2
Eldowr will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Desk Sgt
Name: Donavon
Eldowr's Tacoma Gallery
I'd do some research but I believe that some states require you to have them for safety inspections.

I search the forums awhile back about TPMS and switching from steelies to alloys and found several threads about different TPMS solutions. If you just don't want them in the wheels there are a few mod ideas such as sealing them in a pressurized container that you keep in the truck or throwing them all in the spare.

Is there a good reason not to leave them in the tires? If you're switching from alloy to alloy you shouldn't have any issues with fit.

-Donavon
Old 07-08-2011, 12:47 AM   #3
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
There really isnt a particular reason, just didnt know if what really needed or not...
Old 07-08-2011, 12:54 AM   #4

Eldowr's Tacoma Gallery
Then it's all up to you really..

Personally I'd rather just have them in since they don't hurt anything and they might save you a lot of headache with underinflated tires down the road..
Old 07-08-2011, 05:16 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldowr View Post
I'd do some research but I believe that some states require you to have them for safety inspections.

I search the forums awhile back about TPMS and switching from steelies to alloys and found several threads about different TPMS solutions. If you just don't want them in the wheels there are a few mod ideas such as sealing them in a pressurized container that you keep in the truck or throwing them all in the spare.

Is there a good reason not to leave them in the tires? If you're switching from alloy to alloy you shouldn't have any issues with fit.

-Donavon
Some states actually require the TPMS systems for safety?? Sounds like a load of BS to me...

OP, if it were me, I'd swap them over just so you don't have to deal with the idiot light on the dash. If you have them, you might as well keep the functional but it's your call. It's not going to hurt anything either way.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:49 AM   #6
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
OP, if it were me, I'd swap them over just so you don't have to deal with the idiot light on the dash. If you have them, you might as well keep the functional but it's your call. It's not going to hurt anything either way.
I agree.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:54 AM   #7

Eldowr's Tacoma Gallery
Pugga,

That's why I prefaced that line with "I'd do some research".. lol I feel like I've read that some states require the sensors if they were original equipment, but I could very easily be wrong on that.

I'm with you on the dash lights though.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:35 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldowr View Post
Pugga,

That's why I prefaced that line with "I'd do some research".. lol I feel like I've read that some states require the sensors if they were original equipment, but I could very easily be wrong on that.

I'm with you on the dash lights though.
I wasn't disagreeing with you and it wouldn't surprise me if some states actually have laws like that... Just stating my opinion that if such laws exist, they are a big load of BS since the TPMS light, in my opinion, is the true definition of an idiot light (especially since they stopped putting them in the spare where it's actually helpful).