Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Duratracs rub cab mount like a mofo......

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Duratracs rub cab mount like a mofo......

I just got my tires on, and I have my Icons set to about 3" lift, it might be alittle higher.
They're 285's and I rub my cab mounts pretty bad at full turn.

I was wondering if my Caster is too low? Its 2.5 and 2.7
Would a little more caster help much?

Or should I just leave it were it is and chop the cab mounts?

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETaco23 View Post
I just got my tires on, and I have my Icons set to about 3" lift, it might be alittle higher.
They're 285's and I rub my cab mounts pretty bad at full turn.

I was wondering if my Caster is too low? Its 2.5 and 2.7
Would a little more caster help much?

Or should I just leave it were it is and chop the cab mounts?

Thanks!
What's the backspacing of your wheels, and do you have aftermarket ucas?
Old 07-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
I got TC UCA's and 4.5" BS wheels.....
Old 07-10-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I got TC UCA's and 4.5" BS wheels.....
Excellent. Chop the cab mounts.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:58 PM   #6

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
will do!

Next weekend..
can I go a little while without plating it? or should I get it done asap?
Old 07-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
will do!

Next weekend..
can I go a little while without plating it? or should I get it done asap?
If you are going to wait to plate it, because sure to paint the spots you cut so they won't rust.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #8

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
k...

but I want to know how some people are getting away without chopping them, and have the same set-up as me....
Old 07-10-2011, 08:41 PM   #10

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
I know some guys running 3" lift and no chop, with TC UCA's...

Oh well... I cant wait to chop them and stop the rubbing!
Old 07-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #11
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
i have a 3 inch with stock uca's and no chop, ujelly?
Old 07-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #12

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, I know if I had stock UCA's it would be fine. But I got a mid travel set-up and the TC UCA's bring the tire closer to the body mounts...

It sucks but atleast my allignment is dead on and it rides great. I geuss I just need to chop it.
But Im wondering if I do get more caster would it bring my tire foward enough to not rub the body mount?
Old 07-10-2011, 09:06 PM   #13
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yeah, I know if I had stock UCA's it would be fine. But I got a mid travel set-up and the TC UCA's bring the tire closer to the body mounts...

It sucks but atleast my allignment is dead on and it rides great. I geuss I just need to chop it.
But Im wondering if I do get more caster would it bring my tire foward enough to not rub the body mount?
I definitely noticed that my tires were moved forward in the wheel well when I upped my caster from 2.4 to 2.9*... but not much.

I have Camburg UCAs, they moved my wheels back in the well a bit by design. I have no idea how others are getting away without doing the cab mount chop... unless they never go over an uneven surface. but then again, my wheels are 4" BS so they naturally hit the mount harder (no experience with 4.5 BS).

I have mine currently chopped but not boxed. Like mentioned above, I just chopped mine when I had the time and painted the cuts for now until I have a Saturday to box them back in. After looking the cabmount over, and reading other's posts on TW, I'm not worried about leaving it un-boxed for a while, just wont go mashing on it too hard until I do.

Edit: Also, a while back, I saw a member on here, Maxamillion (sp?), was experimenting with upping his caster to 3.5* to help fit his 35s, maybe try asking him.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #14

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
huh... thanks for the Info!

Maybe I should try having my Caster set closer to 3*.... But Im still ganna need to do the chop..
Old 07-11-2011, 02:20 AM   #15
Master Jedi Member I am...
chad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to beholdchad68 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chad
chad68's Tacoma Gallery
Were you thinking of adjusting your castor as a temp thing? Because it doesn't make any sense to run aftermarket UCA's if your going to set your castor all out of whack like mine is with the stock UCA's

By the way I have 305/70/16's 16x8 and 4" BS'ing and with the stock UCA's I have never hit the cab mount. That's one nice thing about the stock UCA's, they were free and no cab mount chop required. At full lock on flat ground, with no flex, I miss the cab mount by about 1". I have a pic of it someplace.
Attached Thumbnails
Duratracs rub cab mount like a mofo......-sdfgbvsdfvsdfg.jpg  
Old 07-17-2011, 09:10 PM   #16

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
I did the cab mount chop yesterday and it went smoothly... Now I just need to get me a welder so I can box it back in.

I love not rubbing. But I really dont like the wheel being so far back. It just looks kinda odd not having the wheel/tire center with the wheel well....
Old 07-17-2011, 09:47 PM   #17
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe you need another alignment?
Old 07-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #18
Tacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacoma831's Tacoma Gallery
I have 3" OME with LR UCA's and I do not rub the cab mount.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #19

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
do you know what your caster is?

I kinda want to be closer to 2.8* - 3*
Old 07-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #20
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I kinda want to be closer to 2.8* - 3*
yeah that's ideal. If it's too far back, your caster might be in the 5*+ range. When you get your truck aligned, the TC UCAs will make it possible for them to hit the 2.8*-3* range. Just tell them beforehand.