Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Tire Dry Rot?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Tire Dry Rot?

I rotated my tires yesterday and noticed what looked to be dry rot cracks in the sidewalls. The crack is about 1/2" outside of the rim, the entire circumference of the tire and on all 4 tires . They're not overly deep but the location has me concerned. The tires aren't quite a year old and have about 10,000 miles on them. The tires are Cooper Discoverer ATRs. Is this something I should be concerned about and bring them back to the tire shop or just drive and forget about it?

Before anyone asks, I don't have picks, it looks like a normal dryrot crack, not too deep but you could get your fingernail into it.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:46 AM   #2
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Bueller...
Old 07-12-2011, 04:54 AM   #4

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayer75 View Post
Do you use tire shine at all? In my experience I've always thought the more I shine my tires the faster they dry rot.
Absolutely not just for that reason. I use a tire brush and the same soap I use to wash my truck and that's it.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:59 AM   #5
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Can you take them back to where they were purchased and have them inspected? You shouldn't have any cracks with only 10k miles on them. Almost sounds like a manufacturer defect considering all four tires have the indentical crack. Maybe covered under warranty?

Oh yeah and ................

Old 07-12-2011, 05:03 AM   #6

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Can you take them back to where they were purchased and have them inspected? You shouldn't have any cracks with only 10k miles on them. Almost sounds like a manufacturer defect considering all four tires have the indentical crack. Maybe covered under warranty?

Oh yeah and ................

I think that's what I'm going to have to do, take them back. Unfortunately, I haven't done it yet because I recently moved and the tire shop is an hour away now. I've never had a problem with Cooper's in the past and I've run them on almost every truck I've owned. I'll get some pictures up tonight hopefully.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 07-12-2011, 05:30 AM   #7
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same tires. Maybe I should take a closer look at them! But then again I bought mine of CL so I dont have any warranty
Old 07-12-2011, 05:33 AM   #8

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXTacoma View Post
I have the same tires. Maybe I should take a closer look at them! But then again I bought mine of CL so I dont have any warranty
I have to dig out the paperwork to see what I've got for warranty, if any. I've had these same tires on an old Ranger as well as Cooper M+S's and my dad had the ATR's on his Chevy diesel, none have had this issue. I'll update this when I can get the truck to the tire shop.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:45 AM   #9
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
Take em back to the tire shop. A lot of tire manufacturers buy back the tires when they fail early like this to find out what went wrong. It could also be considered a manufacturing defect.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:06 AM   #10
Danosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Danosabre's Tacoma Gallery
I now you bought them a year ago, but what is the date on the tires? Should be four digits, first two are the week they were made last two are the year.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:14 AM   #11

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danosabre View Post
I now you bought them a year ago, but what is the date on the tires? Should be four digits, first two are the week they were made last two are the year.
Good tip! I'll run out to my truck at lunch and check.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:53 AM   #12
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danosabre View Post
Good idea. I saw some recalls on that model tire but the latest one was for 3206 and 3306 IIRC.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #14

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I found the 4 digit number - 0810 so it looks like they were made late February/early March of 2010 and put on my truck early June (I found the receipt of when I purchased them so they're 1 year and 1 month old). The last recall I could find online was from 2006 but I did put a call in the shop that installed them to set up an appointment to have the tires checked out. Stand by for the outcome...
Old 07-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #15
P-Hill Tacoma is on a distinguished road

P-Hill Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Probably made in China. A lot of tires with USA names we assume are made in the USA are actually made in china. I have never seen a chinese made tire not dry rot.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:00 AM   #16

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Hill Tacoma View Post
Probably made in China. A lot of tires with USA names we assume are made in the USA are actually made in china. I have never seen a chinese made tire not dry rot.
Sadly it wouldn't surprise me... I'm not sure if it's true or not but I thought I read that Cooper makes Pro Comp tires also

Slight dry rot doesn't bother me, it happens. What bothers me is it's the same exact cracking pattern on all 4 tires.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #17

Marines:
Interesting article (note the source is a law firm)
http://www.tiredefects.com/defective...production.cfm
Old 07-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #18

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
could the tire only be a year old on your truck but may have been sitting on a shelf for 5 years before you bought them?
Not with a date stamp of 0810
Old 07-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #19
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
I had a set of Coopers on my old truck and they were dry rotted... Another reason why I'll never go with Coopers ever again.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #20
daggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nice
daggertats's Tacoma Gallery
subbed so i cansee the outcome of this