1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TPMS sensors don't fit Konigs, are there aftermarket sensors?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by rodney, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Jul 14, 2011 at 8:38 AM
    rodney

rodney [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Sienna Mommyvan & Ford 2fitty
    on my 11' AC 4x4, i mounted up duratracs on a set of 16x8 konig countersteers.

the tpms sensors do not fit the wheels, the stem is at an angle coming through the wheel. the sensor head is flush against the wheel, and it was still enough of an angle that the grommets would not seat. i am fairly sure that if i cranked down on the sensor trying to seat the grommet, i would break it.

is there an aftermarket tpms sensor that has a smaller sensor head that will fit the countersteers?

i said f'it, and threw normal rubber valvestems in for the time being so i can get them on the truck. i am religious with tire pressure, so i am sure i wont have a problem, but i would like to ditch the light. anyone got any info?

2. Jul 14, 2011 at 8:52 AM
    sierrahsky

sierrahsky Expedition Style

Member:
    4 Options.

A. Go to tirerack and buy the orange brand tpms. Has tons of cool features and you can choose the angle of the stem

B. Pull your entire dash apart, find the TPMS light and either pull it or put black tape over it.

C. Do the TPMS wire mod (PITA).

D. Ignore the Light or put a business card over it or something.

E. (My favorite ) Pull your dash out, send it to prs FJ and have him mod it.

3. Jul 14, 2011 at 8:54 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    That was 5 options...;) but you still forgot one

You can buy steel straps that strap the tpms sensor to the rim itself and then you can use a standard valve stem. Here's an example:
    http://www.revolutionsupply.com/strapkit.aspx

4. Jul 14, 2011 at 8:55 AM
    HeadlampRevamp

HeadlampRevamp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Buckner, ky
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    I have a 1st gen, but remember reading where someone attached them the spare tire somehow. Might want to look into that.

5. Jul 14, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    You can use those straps to put them all in the spare or use something like a wheel barrel wheel or PVC pressure vessel to keep in your truck just to keep the dummy light off in the dash. They're obviously not functional like that but it will keep the dash light off.

6. Jul 14, 2011 at 9:38 AM
    rodney

Member:
    Vehicle:
    i think i my have figured it out... quoted from tire rack:

Important Notes:
    Only OE TPMS sensors from OE alloy wheels will fit in the alloy wheels we sell. Sensors from OE steel wheels will not work in alloy wheels. The OE alloy wheel TPMS sensors are available for purchase from us. New TPMS sensors must be initialized at the dealer. This charge is not included in the cost of the sensors. If TPMS sensors are not installed in the wheels, the TPMS light will flash for 1 to 2 minutes and then stay permanently illuminated. An audible chime may also be heard at start-up.

so, i used my tpms from the steelies. wtf, why not put the alloy style in all wheels?

i may have found an aftermarket usb dock with sensors i can program. i will update when i get it. :)

7. Jul 14, 2011 at 10:26 AM
    rodney

Member:
    Vehicle:

sorreee i didn't know everything about tacoma tpms. i work in a tire shop and have swapped many tpms over from oem wheels to aftermarket with no issues.

apparently, after further searching (again, i don't know everything unlike some people on this board... :rolleyes: ) it seems that the alloy wheels have a 20 degree sensor which will work on aftermarket wheels. the oem steel wheel, which i had on my truck, are 40 degree, which will not work on the allow wheels. well, they will work, if you turn them 180 degrees, but that is a pain to do/undo and if i don't do the dismounting, the tire monkey will snap the head off the sensor.

i may just do the pipe bomb trick, or bolt all 4 of them to the inside of the spare tire. lemme see what this aftermarket company wants for the sensors, and i will go from there.

8. Jul 14, 2011 at 10:38 AM
    rodney

Member:
    Vehicle:
    funny, i read numerous threads on the countersteers, and nobody said anything about the tpms not working. in fact, there are a bunch of pics with the tpms clearly in the wheels. as on most boards, you find replies stating everything is hunky dory, when clearly that person does not have a clue, or was misinformed by another incorrect post.

i did not know toyota made sensors with 2 different angles on the sensor heads, clearly something that is not common knowledge. well, not common unless you have 15k posts... :D

9. Jul 14, 2011 at 10:38 AM
    ser240z

ser240z Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Monterey Park, CA
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Pro 6spd
    I haven't heard otherwise, but can't you put the sensors in your glove box or something and just re-calibrate them for zero pressure? Or is there a minimum pressure needed to calibrate?

10. Jul 14, 2011 at 10:56 AM
    friction

friction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    Mine are attached to the spare with gorilla tape.

11. Jul 14, 2011 at 11:07 AM
    rodney

Member:
    Vehicle:
    sweet! that answers my question if you can cover them or not. i think i will go that route vs the pipe bomb.

12. Jul 14, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    friction

friction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    A Toyota tech who happened to sell me my rims did this, so not sure if just the stems or sensors are covered.

13. Jan 15, 2013 at 9:14 AM
    JdMeF9SiR2

JdMeF9SiR2 FN Wheels

Member:
    Corona, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra 06 Tacoma 14 FJ Cruiser 19 Tundra
    Hi Tacomaworld,

I know this thread is a year and a half old as of the time that I am making this post, but I still get quite a few questions about this issue, and some people are also under the impression that TPMS sensors don't work at all with the Konig wheels, so I'd like to clarify. :)

This issue is not specific to the Konig Countersteer Offroad wheels. It's also not specific to just Toyota Tacomas or even Toyota Trucks. This applies to all TPMS equipped Toyotas and every wheel that can possibly be installed on a Toyota.

Due to different angles of the valve stems between steel Toyota factory wheels and alloy Toyota factory wheels, anyone who has a Toyota that was factory equipped with steel wheels and is now changing to alloy wheels (or vice versa) will need to do one of the following:

1) Change to a different type of TPMS sensor (one from alloy Toyota wheels or an aftermarket sensor),

2) Use an adapter with their original wheels' TPMS sensors.

3) Leave their sensors out, install standard valve stems, and check tire pressure frequently (tire pressure should actually be checked frequently regardless if sensors are installed or not).

If you leave the sensors out you will have a light illuminated on your dash, unless you perform one of the various "disable" methods (most popular and most easily reversible is the pipe trick).

Please remember that if your truck came with aluminum alloy wheels from Toyota, your sensors will mount right into the Konig wheels and you won't have to make any modifications whatsoever.

As always anyone who has any concerns about TPMS with the Konig wheels - please feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to help you out. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top