Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

TPMS sensors don't fit Konigs, are there aftermarket sensors?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-14-2011, 08:38 AM   #1
rodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rodney's Tacoma Gallery
TPMS sensors from steel wheels do not fit aluminum rims

on my 11' AC 4x4, i mounted up duratracs on a set of 16x8 konig countersteers.

the tpms sensors do not fit the wheels, the stem is at an angle coming through the wheel. the sensor head is flush against the wheel, and it was still enough of an angle that the grommets would not seat. i am fairly sure that if i cranked down on the sensor trying to seat the grommet, i would break it.

is there an aftermarket tpms sensor that has a smaller sensor head that will fit the countersteers?

i said f'it, and threw normal rubber valvestems in for the time being so i can get them on the truck. i am religious with tire pressure, so i am sure i wont have a problem, but i would like to ditch the light. anyone got any info?
Old 07-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
Expedition Style
sierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
sierrahsky's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sierrahsky
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodney View Post
on my 11' AC 4x4, i mounted up duratracs on a set of 16x8 konig countersteers.

the tpms sensors do not fit the wheels, the stem is at an angle coming through the wheel. the sensor head is flush against the wheel, and it was still enough of an angle that the grommets would not seat. i am fairly sure that if i cranked down on the sensor trying to seat the grommet, i would break it.

is there an aftermarket tpms sensor that has a smaller sensor head that will fit the countersteers?

i said f'it, and threw normal rubber valvestems in for the time being so i can get them on the truck. i am religious with tire pressure, so i am sure i wont have a problem, but i would like to ditch the light. anyone got any info?
4 Options.

A. Go to tirerack and buy the orange brand tpms. Has tons of cool features and you can choose the angle of the stem

B. Pull your entire dash apart, find the TPMS light and either pull it or put black tape over it.

C. Do the TPMS wire mod (PITA).

D. Ignore the Light or put a business card over it or something.

E. (My favorite ) Pull your dash out, send it to prs FJ and have him mod it.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrahsky View Post
4 Options.

A. Go to tirerack and buy the orange brand tpms. Has tons of cool features and you can choose the angle of the stem

B. Pull your entire dash apart, find the TPMS light and either pull it or put black tape over it.

C. Do the TPMS wire mod (PITA).

D. Ignore the Light or put a business card over it or something.

E. (My favorite ) Pull your dash out, send it to prs FJ and have him mod it.
That was 5 options... but you still forgot one

You can buy steel straps that strap the tpms sensor to the rim itself and then you can use a standard valve stem. Here's an example:
http://www.revolutionsupply.com/strapkit.aspx
Old 07-14-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
HeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant future

Name: Jacob
HeadlampRevamp's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 1st gen, but remember reading where someone attached them the spare tire somehow. Might want to look into that.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlampRevamp View Post
I have a 1st gen, but remember reading where someone attached them the spare tire somehow. Might want to look into that.
You can use those straps to put them all in the spare or use something like a wheel barrel wheel or PVC pressure vessel to keep in your truck just to keep the dummy light off in the dash. They're obviously not functional like that but it will keep the dash light off.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
rodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shedrodney is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rodney's Tacoma Gallery
i think i my have figured it out... quoted from tire rack:

Important Notes:
Only OE TPMS sensors from OE alloy wheels will fit in the alloy wheels we sell. Sensors from OE steel wheels will not work in alloy wheels. The OE alloy wheel TPMS sensors are available for purchase from us. New TPMS sensors must be initialized at the dealer. This charge is not included in the cost of the sensors. If TPMS sensors are not installed in the wheels, the TPMS light will flash for 1 to 2 minutes and then stay permanently illuminated. An audible chime may also be heard at start-up.

so, i used my tpms from the steelies. wtf, why not put the alloy style in all wheels?

i may have found an aftermarket usb dock with sensors i can program. i will update when i get it.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The sensors from the TRD wheels work on the countersteers. This is not something new.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
rodney's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The sensors from the TRD wheels work on the countersteers. This is not something new.

sorreee i didn't know everything about tacoma tpms. i work in a tire shop and have swapped many tpms over from oem wheels to aftermarket with no issues.

apparently, after further searching (again, i don't know everything unlike some people on this board... ) it seems that the alloy wheels have a 20 degree sensor which will work on aftermarket wheels. the oem steel wheel, which i had on my truck, are 40 degree, which will not work on the allow wheels. well, they will work, if you turn them 180 degrees, but that is a pain to do/undo and if i don't do the dismounting, the tire monkey will snap the head off the sensor.

i may just do the pipe bomb trick, or bolt all 4 of them to the inside of the spare tire. lemme see what this aftermarket company wants for the sensors, and i will go from there.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodney View Post
sorreee i didn't know everything about tacoma tpms. i work in a tire shop and have swapped many tpms over from oem wheels to aftermarket with no issues.

apparently, after further searching (again, i don't know everything unlike some people on this board... ) it seems that the alloy wheels have a 20 degree sensor which will work on aftermarket wheels. the oem steel wheel, which i had on my truck, are 40 degree, which will not work on the allow wheels. well, they will work, if you turn them 180 degrees, but that is a pain to do/undo and if i don't do the dismounting, the tire monkey will snap the head off the sensor.

i may just do the pipe bomb trick, or bolt all 4 of them to the inside of the spare tire. lemme see what this aftermarket company wants for the sensors, and i will go from there.
Just saying that maybe you should have done your research before buying the rims is all.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #10
rodney's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Just saying that maybe you should have done your research before buying the rims is all.
funny, i read numerous threads on the countersteers, and nobody said anything about the tpms not working. in fact, there are a bunch of pics with the tpms clearly in the wheels. as on most boards, you find replies stating everything is hunky dory, when clearly that person does not have a clue, or was misinformed by another incorrect post.

i did not know toyota made sensors with 2 different angles on the sensor heads, clearly something that is not common knowledge. well, not common unless you have 15k posts...
Old 07-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #11
ser240z is on a distinguished road

Name: Scott
ser240z's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't heard otherwise, but can't you put the sensors in your glove box or something and just re-calibrate them for zero pressure? Or is there a minimum pressure needed to calibrate?
Old 07-14-2011, 10:56 AM   #13
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
Mine are attached to the spare with gorilla tape.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:07 AM   #14
rodney's Tacoma Gallery
sweet! that answers my question if you can cover them or not. i think i will go that route vs the pipe bomb.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:09 AM   #15
friction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shedfriction is one of the sharper tools in the shed

friction's Tacoma Gallery
A Toyota tech who happened to sell me my rims did this, so not sure if just the stems or sensors are covered.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #16
PARTS HOARDER
JdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JdMeF9SiR2's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to JdMeF9SiR2
Hi Tacomaworld,

I know this thread is a year and a half old as of the time that I am making this post, but I still get quite a few questions about this issue, and some people are also under the impression that TPMS sensors don't work at all with the Konig wheels, so I'd like to clarify.

This issue is not specific to the Konig Countersteer Offroad wheels. It's also not specific to just Toyota Tacomas or even Toyota Trucks. This applies to all TPMS equipped Toyotas and every wheel that can possibly be installed on a Toyota.

Due to different angles of the valve stems between steel Toyota factory wheels and alloy Toyota factory wheels, anyone who has a Toyota that was factory equipped with steel wheels and is now changing to alloy wheels (or vice versa) will need to do one of the following:

1) Change to a different type of TPMS sensor (one from alloy Toyota wheels or an aftermarket sensor),

2) Use an adapter with their original wheels' TPMS sensors.

3) Leave their sensors out, install standard valve stems, and check tire pressure frequently (tire pressure should actually be checked frequently regardless if sensors are installed or not).

If you leave the sensors out you will have a light illuminated on your dash, unless you perform one of the various "disable" methods (most popular and most easily reversible is the pipe trick).

Please remember that if your truck came with aluminum alloy wheels from Toyota, your sensors will mount right into the Konig wheels and you won't have to make any modifications whatsoever.

As always anyone who has any concerns about TPMS with the Konig wheels - please feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to help you out.