1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Nitto Terra Grappler vs. BFG A/T KO

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by vprgts, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Jul 14, 2011 at 11:12 AM
    vprgts

vprgts [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Walter
    Centreville, VA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Sport TRD 4x4 DC LB
    265/70/17 BF Goodrich K02, OEM 17" 4Runner Trail Wheels, Bilstein 5100's, OME 887 coils, single Deaver rear AAL, Plasti dipped black front bumper cover and badges. TRD pro grill, trd auto shift knob, truxport roll up bed cover, painted red front calipers, tinted front windows, vital 2-way auto remote start. Hood scoop LED light bar. Bumper Auxbeem 32” LED light bar with Caliraised brackets. Infinity reference speaker upgrade with dynomat. 1.25 spidertrax wheel spacers. Supernova V.4 LED low beam H11 bulbs.
    I need help deciding on which tires to go with?? I'm about to put a 6 inch fabtech (stage 1 with performance shocks) on my black 2011 tacoma trd sport long bed and slap XD 796 matte black 18x9.

85% of my driving is going to mostly be to and from work with the rest to play off road, snow, etc.

I really don't want to shell out the extra cash for the BFE but I will if it makes sense.

What do you all think? Appreciate the feedback.

2. Jul 15, 2011 at 4:57 PM
    2girlsdad

2girlsdad Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Garner, NC
    Vehicle:
    V6 4x4 TRD Off Road Sport
    I've had 3 sets of BFG A/T's. A 1992 Toyota pickup, a 2001 Tacoma, and a 2004 2500HD. On the toyota's I couldn't wear them out. On the 3/4 ton, I got over 40K and got rid of the truck with at least 10K miles left on them. Only tires I have that stays in balance better are the Michelin's on my wife's 4-runner.
    BUT....I've bought tires from the same guy since 1994. One of those guys that has a hell of a reputation and it's hard to get in his place without .calling first, so you better believe I trust everything he says. I just went by his shop this Wednesday to price wheels and tires for my truck. I asked about BFG's and Nitto's. He said BFG has changed their compounds and have gotten a lot softer. He said they won't wear nearly as long as they used to, and they've gotten so expensive, he recommended the Nitto's. For reference, on of my best friends is on his second set of Terra Grapplers on his Duramax. 48K on the first set, and going strong on this set. And that's pulling an enclosed trailer up and down I-40 through the mountains from NC to Sevierville, TN.

I do like the tread much better on the BFG's. But they do suck in mud, which the Nitto's do too. In snow, they both rock. In loose sand and soil, they both are great. On highway, they both ride about the same. It's just the wear factor for me. I do trust my guy. So I'm going Nitto or Duratrac this time. Hope this helps.

3. Jul 15, 2011 at 5:10 PM
    hard2kill

hard2kill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    nitto ive run both on several different trucks and nittos always outperform in everyway.........bfg are a good tire but nitto edges them out in everyway and there cheaper

4. Jul 19, 2011 at 5:16 PM
    vprgts

vprgts [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Walter
    Centreville, VA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Sport TRD 4x4 DC LB
    265/70/17 BF Goodrich K02, OEM 17" 4Runner Trail Wheels, Bilstein 5100's, OME 887 coils, single Deaver rear AAL, Plasti dipped black front bumper cover and badges. TRD pro grill, trd auto shift knob, truxport roll up bed cover, painted red front calipers, tinted front windows, vital 2-way auto remote start. Hood scoop LED light bar. Bumper Auxbeem 32” LED light bar with Caliraised brackets. Infinity reference speaker upgrade with dynomat. 1.25 spidertrax wheel spacers. Supernova V.4 LED low beam H11 bulbs.
    Thanks for the heads up! Nittos are the way to go plus it saves me cash =)

5. Jul 19, 2011 at 5:18 PM
    Mescalero

Mescalero Beretta Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD PRO Mag Gray
    hey man, we just had a fabtech group buy...let me know if you havent already bought the kit. should save atleast $100 or so. also could look if any discounts still apply from a previous nitto group buy.

6. Jul 19, 2011 at 8:55 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    I would go with the Nitto's over the BFG's, just bc I know for a fact that the BFG's throw Rocks like crazy! And dont clean out very well

7. Jul 19, 2011 at 9:31 PM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    The BFG's aren't bad but I like the Nitto's better. I had a set on my dodge and they did great in everything. I just ordered a set for my 4runner

8. Jul 19, 2011 at 9:47 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    Both good tires, but if I had to pick Nittos would be my choice.

9. Jul 19, 2011 at 9:57 PM
    toytaco2331

toytaco2331 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Spartanburg, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2007 Prerunner SR5 Sport
    BFG Rugged Terrains, UWS Black Series Toolbox, Smoked Headlamps, Alpine stereo and door speakers.
    I had the nittos on my Cummins i used to own before my taco and the wore out too fast, then bought BFG All terrains and they lasted with 50k miles still with tread when i sold the truck. Now on my taco i have BFG Rugged Terrains* (not rugged trails) and i love them. A very smooth tire with great ratings and reviews and they look pretty aggressive. I strongly recommend you taking a look at them before purchasing.

Products Discussed in

To Top