1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yet another "which tire should I get" thread

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by SilverTRD, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Jul 16, 2011 at 11:09 PM
    SilverTRD

SilverTRD [OP] Major League Infidel

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD Sport
    Sorry to do it, guys and gals, but I am out there flappin' on this dilema.

I have a 2005 Tacoma Sport 4x4 with a Leer topper. I am at stock height (no lift) and will be maintaining the stock 17 inch rims. Thus, I am going to go with a 265/70/17 tire, as I understand that this is the largest size I can go in my truck's configuration without cutting. I am not getting a lift anytime soon :(

I am looking for a good tire, wherein I will do 95% highway/street driving. I just dont get the opportunity to play off road as much as Id like.

I live in TN, and as such, I have to contend with rain and the last couple years snow and ice.

I am looking for a good wearing A/T tire that handles well on dry and wet roads, and doesnt choke in snow and ice.

I have read many conflicting opinions on the BFG AT KO, particularly in their performance in the rain...that and they arent cheap.

The General AT2 seems to be a decent tire and comparable to the BFG, however there has been some issues raised with regards to them being "loose" on the road with regards to over/under steer. They seem an economical choice, however.

I like the looks of the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac...but there seems to be issues raised with having to have them rebalanced regularly. I get the oil changed every 3-5K, but it seems a PITA to have to get your tires rebalanced that often--maybe I am wrong.

I am currently on what appear to be stock shoes- and I dont know that the previous owner ever changed them--and the truck is now at 93K.

What about the Goodyear side armor tires? Or others I should be looking at?

Does my truck, which never tows anything really need the E rated tires?

Id prefer not to kill my gas mileage if possible.

Another caveat, my wife drives the truck most often, so I want it to be "easy" for her to transition. (I have an issued crown vic for work)

I also dont want to have to buy new tires in a year (we are averaging about 18K miles/year on the rig.)

Any advice/input would be great. I intend to buy within the next week or so, and will be going on a 1200 mile road trip in the first week of august, so they will get a good workout pretty quickly.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!! I know these threads are PITAs, and I want a great tire that lasts for ever, rides great, never gets stuck, and doesnt mess with my mileage all for cheap!! LOL. I do appreciate it.

2. Jul 16, 2011 at 11:13 PM
    Superdavert

Superdavert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Athens, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport DC SB
    MB Legacy wheels 285/70 17 BFG KO2s ProComp 2" leveling kit, Foglight anytime mod, Sockmonkey TRD Sport bedside decals, Extang Trifecta tonneau cover, Toyota bed extender, Aries black nerf bars, Pop & Lock
    Looking for tires too. I'm leaning toward the Hankook Dynapro ATm. They seen to be a all around good A/T tire.

3. Jul 16, 2011 at 11:13 PM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD Senior Member

Member:
    A lot of info to cover... I will touch on a couple things... If your tires have 93k, they are not stock.

I didn't have any complaints with the BFG's in the rain. My last set went 80k.

I may get duratracs for my next set only for their ability to handle the snow better than BFG's. Even though my BFG's handled great in the snow.

Good luck with your choice.

Products Discussed in

To Top