1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel Options 2000 Taco 4wd Ext Cab

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by n_j_williams, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Jun 4, 2007 at 3:08 PM
    n_j_williams

n_j_williams [OP] 1996 Tacoma 4WD

Member:
    Levelland, Texas
    Vehicle:
    1996 4WD Tacoma Ext. Cab.
    I have some 11" X 15" American Racing Wheels that came off of a 1999 Tacoma Ext Cab 4wd truck I have loaned to my son. I put new wheels and tires on it and due to the theft of my son's car, he is driving it in southern California as I write.

To deal with my Taco addiction, I have recently purchased a stock 2000 Ext Cab 4wd Tacoma and I would like to mount some new tires on these wheels. I tried using these wheels earlier on the aforementioned truck and they rubbed the front fender wells when turning.

I have been told I might need to put a lift kit on this truck to keep the tires from rubbing. I'm not objectionable to that, but I don't want to compromise the truck..I'm interested in keeping the truck suitable for mostly highway use.

Is there anyone on here who could advise me on the best course of action for dealing with this situation. I presentley have stock wheels and a set of Dayton 31 X 10.5 R15LT 109R tires that do not rub. They are have about 50% or the original tread but they have a slight vibration. I tried balancing with some improvement of ride, but they still have a vibration. I explored truing the tires, but truing would basically ruin one of the four tires. I'd rather use the AMR wheels and some new tires if I can avoid the rubbing problem. They will look good on the truck...I particularly like the wider stance to the truck with these wheels. I have heard that wider wheels are harder on the front end components...

I enjoy reading this forum....some savy folks about my favorite truck, the Toyota Tacoma....I hope you'll favor me with some good counsel on how to make my truck better...

Thanks in advance for the responses!!!

NJ:)

2. Jun 5, 2007 at 6:56 AM
    amocaT

amocaT Member

Member:
    I'm in the process of installing my new suspension upgrade:
    Donahoe Extended Coilovers
    Camburg UCA's
    Deaver 8 leaf pack
    Bilstein 5125 shocks (rear)

This setup will allow me to run 32 x 11.50's with little to no rubbing. I may have to do some minor trimming to the plastic fender liner and maybe the pinch weld mod but I should be okay without trimming.

I searched for over three weeks trying to determine the best lift and largest tire I could fit without rubbing. My setup is not the least expensive ($1,600 w/o tires /rims) but to me the best ride / performance / value. And, my truck's a daily driver for the most part but I want to have the capability to off-road once I get a new daily driver. This setup seems to fit the bill.

If you're on a tight budget then the lift seems to be a very good lift option that provides good lift / ride characteristics while saving you some $$$. Of course, it will help clear a larger tire too. Not sure how much bigger? Maybe someone with a Toytec can chime in.

I'm not sure 15 x 11's will work without rubbing no matter what size lift (within reason), etc. I will be running AR 15 x 8's which seems pretty common.

I would also do some searches here and on customtacos and TTORA. Beware... I strongly suggest only posting your question(s) in the "newbie tech" section on TTORA unless you're a veteran over there. If not, be prepared to get bashed for asking a simple question. Basically, I recommend search, search, search.

Seems like it's a little more laid-back here so feel free to ask.

Hope this helps.

3. Jun 5, 2007 at 7:18 AM
    n_j_williams

n_j_williams [OP] 1996 Tacoma 4WD

Member:
    Levelland, Texas
    Vehicle:
    1996 4WD Tacoma Ext. Cab.
    Thanks for that reply.... I called an accessory shop and they tell me basically the same thing. At this point, I'm not sure what I'll do. It looks like the 11 inch rims are going to be a problem as you said no matter how much lift I put on.

I'll do some more research... It seems like there are lots Taco owners who lift their trucks, but the cost is substantial...I didn't realize all these high rise trucks represent such a significant investment... I know wheels and tires are pretty expensive and that is why I was trying to use the AMR wheels....

When I bought my earlier truck I has some extensive wear on the front end and had to have some expensive work done. The technician attributed the wear and problems to the wider tires and a previous owner who was not attentitive to the vibration and the problems it was causing.

Thanks again for the reply!!!

NJ

4. Jun 5, 2007 at 8:06 AM
    amocaT

amocaT Member

Member:
    The Toytec lift is very inexpensive. I would definitely check out their website. Then start checking the For Sale sections on the various Tacoma forums for tires / rims.

Products Discussed in

To Top