1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

31"s on Stock Wheels

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by BioMed80, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Oct 18, 2008 at 5:27 PM
    BioMed80

BioMed80 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular Cab
    3" ReadyLift Kit, 31x10.5x15 General Grabber AT2s, AFE Drop-In, Bull Bar, Hella 500FF, Secondary Filter Removed
    Okay, I have an 09 Reg Cab 5-Lugger (15" wheels). Just ordered my 3" lift and am trying to figure out wheels and tires. I was going to go with new rims, but I'd like to save some money and maybe get them at a later point. So, what issues (if any) will I have putting 31x10.5x15 General Grabber AT2s on the stock rims? I've been looking for the width of the stock wheel, but havent' found much. Tirerack says you can use between a 7" to a 9" rim, and measured with an 8.5". I have a feeling the stock rim is closer to 6", but I'm not sure. If I can't fit this tire, what would be a close size that would work? Thanks.

PS Here's a pic of someone who's got stock rims with what looks like 31's (BFGs). I don't think it looks too bad.

[​IMG]

2. Oct 19, 2008 at 8:06 PM
    jeepinoutwest

jeepinoutwest Well-Known Member

Member:
    I ordered a set of 31s and 30s and will be trying them tomorrow to see which ones fit. I'll let you know.

3. Oct 19, 2008 at 8:18 PM
    BioMed80

Member:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular Cab
    3" ReadyLift Kit, 31x10.5x15 General Grabber AT2s, AFE Drop-In, Bull Bar, Hella 500FF, Secondary Filter Removed
    Thanks for the reply, I was just about to bump this thread. I know people know the stock wheel width, I just couldn't get any answers. Let me know what you find out. If nothing else, maybe you could tell me know wide the rims are. Thanks again.

Edit: What size tires are you trying (31x10.5x15, ect.)?

4. Oct 20, 2008 at 11:04 AM
    jeepinoutwest

jeepinoutwest Well-Known Member

Member:
    OK first off keep in mind my 08 reg cab is 2WD (without any lift), but i think only the 2WDs come with 15s, and all prerunners and 4x4s come with 16s. So the rim is 15"x6" for sure. That stinks because 31x10.5s recommend a 7" minimum width. However, 31s would have been so tight in the front that under turning AND any front end suspension compression while driving they would have rubbed the fender well some of the time. Also the 31s (with stock rims) will rub the front end sway bar on full turn (really not that big a deal to me). Soooo. 30x9.5s have a recommended rim with of 6.5"-8.5", but i bought them anyway. I purchased a set of 30x9.5 Cooper STTs at a cost of $643. More than I expected (even with the friend discount) but they look so much better and do not rub anywhere at all. I have no plans for a lift and probably wont do aftermarket wheels because its hard to find black steelies with a +25 to +35 offset. Do you know of any? I guess i could have the rims powdercoated. If you are going to do a lift that will change things of course and will require new wheels for 31s. Good day.

5. Oct 20, 2008 at 5:16 PM
    BioMed80

Member:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular Cab
    Thanks for the information. Yeah, I'm putting on a lift, and it sounds like I'm getting wheels too.

Not sure about which ones have +25-35 offset. I'll probably be going through Discount Tire. You might want to see what their offset is (is doesn't say on their website). Good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top