Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

tire width in Minnesota

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-19-2008, 12:06 AM   #2
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like I may have saved myself $1600. Apparently, in this backward-ass state of Minnesota, you can't have tires that stick out past the fenders. Also, your bumper can't be more than 25" off the ground (I'll just cross my fingers on this one). And there are crazy ass laws about lights on the front, how many can be on at once, when they have to be covered, etc...

I think I need to move back to Texas - we don't mind big trucks down there...
Old 10-19-2008, 02:21 AM   #3
Taco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud of

Law Enforcement:
Taco's for All's Tacoma Gallery
Most states have similar bumper height or headlight height laws. Vermont law states that you cannot make any aftermarket changes, the bumper cannot change from stock, and the tires cannot stick out past the wheel well. Believe it or not, an aftermarket exhaust is considered defective equipment. Does anyone actually make traffic stops and write for this crap.......NO!

This is no way intended to be legal advice, however, the simple way around the tires sticking out past the fender is a fender flare. In most states, that is all you need to be covered under the letter of the law. As for the bumper height, I don't know how strict other states are about that. I can tell you that I have never, and will never stop a car/truck that has a bumper height above 25 inches.

I know a lot of states also require that "off-road" lighting equipment be covered when not in use. Tell me, what's considered "off road lighting?" Everything can be implied differently. If your friends with a police officer, just ask them their take on everything you mentioned, they can probably give you better insight as I'm not sure their take on enforcement up there.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:22 AM   #4
Taco969 will become famous soon enoughTaco969 will become famous soon enough

Air Force: AFE
Taco969's Tacoma Gallery
Thats how Wisconsin was too when I lived there. They enforce it too,BIG time, I was always getting stopped. Now I have a stock truck(for now). I am going to be lifting it though, no lift laws here in Florida!
Old 10-19-2008, 06:20 AM   #5
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
New York is the same way, headlight laws and tires extending beyond wheel wells, yet the prick cop in my town has a truck that breaks all codes, including noise and he galavants about the town, untouched. I can only hope kharma camps in his back pocket.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:44 AM   #6
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco's for All View Post
Most states have similar bumper height or headlight height laws. Vermont law states that you cannot make any aftermarket changes, the bumper cannot change from stock, and the tires cannot stick out past the wheel well. Believe it or not, an aftermarket exhaust is considered defective equipment. Does anyone actually make traffic stops and write for this crap.......NO!

This is no way intended to be legal advice, however, the simple way around the tires sticking out past the fender is a fender flare. In most states, that is all you need to be covered under the letter of the law. As for the bumper height, I don't know how strict other states are about that. I can tell you that I have never, and will never stop a car/truck that has a bumper height above 25 inches.

I know a lot of states also require that "off-road" lighting equipment be covered when not in use. Tell me, what's considered "off road lighting?" Everything can be implied differently. If your friends with a police officer, just ask them their take on everything you mentioned, they can probably give you better insight as I'm not sure their take on enforcement up there.
I thought about fender flares, but painted fender flares ain't cheap. I know the stock ones are $125 each.

My 3" lift is probably gonna put me close to the limit (depending on their definition of bumper and if it's 25" to the bottom, middle or top of the bumper) but the taller tires will definately put me over.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:48 AM   #7
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
move to sc
Old 10-19-2008, 09:56 AM   #8
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
aux lights in Minn
https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/...#stat.169.56.0

bumpers
https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/...#stat.169.73.0

fenders
https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/...stat.169.734.0

as far as i can tell...you'd only need to make your rear fenders as wide as the tires