Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Installing a Center Cap

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
Day is on a distinguished road
Day's Tacoma Gallery
Installing a Center Cap

I need some help figuring out how to install a center cap on my wheel. Looks like the clips grab the wheel, but without being able to see how do I know all the clips grabbed the wheel. I have already lost 2 center caps and I don't want to lose another. BTW, I did not install the 1st 2. Picture of wheel attached. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing a Center Cap-downsize-3-.jpg  
Old 07-20-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
just put it up there and hit it with your hand
Old 09-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
Switchback is a jewel in the roughSwitchback is a jewel in the roughSwitchback is a jewel in the rough

Switchback's Tacoma Gallery
hey, i have the same question as the OP. just picked up a new cap today, to replace one i lost, and only spent a few minutes with it but i couldn't immediately see how to get the clips to "catch". just placing the cap on the wheel and then trying to push doesn't seem to get them where they need to go. do i have to loosen anything?

thanks.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:18 AM   #4
Day is on a distinguished road
Day's Tacoma Gallery
Installing a center cap

I ended up lining up the metal springs with the holes and whacked it with a rubber mallet a couple times. I did this several weeks ago and it is still secure.
I suggest you put an old towel or cloth over the cap before you hit it with the mallet, so you don't mark the cap.
To me, the design leaves something to be desired.
I'm also disappointed with the mud flaps. They break too easily.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
Switchback is a jewel in the roughSwitchback is a jewel in the roughSwitchback is a jewel in the rough

Switchback's Tacoma Gallery
cool, thanks Day. I'll give it a shot.