Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

TOYOmud Terrains 285/85/17

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
rsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Rob
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
TOYOmud Terrains 285/85/17

EDIT***** 285/75/17*******I have not found many people running this size I assume because of cost? It just seems like such a perfect size.

Anyone looked at them and decided against them for anything other than cost?

I think the 12+ wide tires are just too wide for the tacoma, thats only my opinion I'm not looking to debate it and these seem to be a perfect compromise between a 33x10 and a 35x12.5. 34x11.5 is their approximate size.

Anyway just thought I would toss it out there for comments.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:46 AM   #3
BRT
BigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
BigRedToy's Tacoma Gallery
I don't see a 285/85 offered. 285/75 17 is listed. The only problem I have ever heard of is that the Toyos weigh a ton. With a 34" tire and a 17" wheel, you are looking at 100lbs (or more) per corner.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
rsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
Yes your correct 285/75/17 typo sorry. as for lift I will have a 3'' lift. I understand all that is involved with running that size tire on a 3'' lift Im just hear looking for any input from those that may have run them or those that decided not to for any specific reasons.

I saw they weigh quite a bit and that is whats steering me away from them. I was pretty set on 255/85/16's but saw this size and thought I would at least explore it a bit but I still keep coming back to the 255's it just seems to make the most since to me.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
Manoah is on a distinguished road
Navy: MA2
Name: Manoah
Manoah's Tacoma Gallery
im running 285/75's Procomp extreme M/T's with only a 2 inch front spacer lift. zero rub.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoah View Post
im running 285/75's Procomp extreme M/T's with only a 2 inch front spacer lift. zero rub.
You are running 34s with a 2" lift
Old 07-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #7

Army:
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
Lift isnt really a factor in running large tires although I assume with just a 2'' spacer lift with "0" rub there is some other work that was done at least to stuff them while cranked offroad and not rub. Also I assume you have 16'' rims not 17''. So a little different animal.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #8
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbmg View Post
Lift isnt really a factor in running large tires although I assume with just a 2'' spacer lift with "0" rub there is some other work that was done at least to stuff them while cranked offroad and not rub. Also I assume you have 16'' rims not 17''. So a little different animal.
Yeah 285/75/16s would be a 33 rather than a 34
Old 07-22-2011, 05:52 AM   #9
Manoah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
You are running 34s with a 2" lift
2.5 whatever lift. i thought 285's were closer to 33's? and they are def 17's. i'll have to go in and take a closer look, but other than taking the front mud flaps off, im pretty sure no other trimming was needed. also, might be worthy to note that im a 4x2, so no serious rock crawling is in its future.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:56 AM   #10
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoah View Post
2.5 whatever lift. i thought 285's were closer to 33's? and they are def 17's. i'll have to go in and take a closer look, but other than taking the front mud flaps off, im pretty sure no other trimming was needed. also, might be worthy to note that im a 4x2, so no serious rock crawling is in its future.
285/70/17 would be a 33, 285/75/17 would be a 34.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:21 AM   #11
Manoah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
285/70/17 would be a 33, 285/75/17 would be a 34.
interesting, my math skills are non existent. also, i was wrong, they are 285/70/17.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #12
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
imho if you want a slightly larger tire that you will be able to stuff and that do not weigh a ton look into the nitto trail grapplers m/t i have a 295-70-17 and it measures out to be a 33.8 inch tire it looks perfect and i can mush them into the wheel wells.

also there is no fugging way that the guy who claims to be running a 34 inch tire on a 2 inch lift has no rubbing at all! sorry not trying to be a jerk just setting the record straight. i have a 4.75 in back space on a 17 inch wheel and just over 4 inches of lift and i had to chop the cab mount and trim the flares to stuff my 295's?

either that or he never off roads at all, or simply never turns the wheel
Old 07-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #14
Manoah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
imho if you want a slightly larger tire that you will be able to stuff and that do not weigh a ton look into the nitto trail grapplers m/t i have a 295-70-17 and it measures out to be a 33.8 inch tire it looks perfect and i can mush them into the wheel wells.

also there is no fugging way that the guy who claims to be running a 34 inch tire on a 2 inch lift has no rubbing at all! sorry not trying to be a jerk just setting the record straight. i have a 4.75 in back space on a 17 inch wheel and just over 4 inches of lift and i had to chop the cab mount and trim the flares to stuff my 295's?

either that or he never off roads at all, or simply never turns the wheel
lol, cant finish reading the thread before commenting huh? i has that problem sometimes. we already resolved the fact that im running a 285/70/17 or 33" tires, on 2.5 inches of lift.

the more you know.....
Old 07-25-2011, 10:14 AM   #16
Manoah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
take it easy suzy lol. i saw what kpt wrote and commented i should have caught the 285 size my bad. that still has to be a tight fit i would think. did you trim much or do the cab chop?
lol, yeah its pretty tight, and no, other than removing the front mud flaps no other mods were necessary.