Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Can you run front mudflaps with 255/85/16 or 255/80/17 ?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #81
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
I got my new tires for off roading, 255/85/16 BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM2 on TRD Alloys. I can't wait to get them dirty!
Old 01-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #82
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
I got my new tires for off roading, 255/85/16 BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM2 on TRD Alloys. I can't wait to get them dirty!
Did you have to remove the flaps ?
Old 01-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #83
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Did you have to remove the flaps ?
Not yet. I haven't tried them at full stuff yet. If I have to I'll trim the bump.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #84
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
Not yet. I haven't tried them at full stuff yet. If I have to I'll trim the bump.
Cool

Post up your results after you flex it a bit
Old 01-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #85
commando is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
commando's Tacoma Gallery
Subscribed.

I really want a set of these for my 2006 DC, and my 285's are shot so it might be happening soon.

Do these work any better on an aftermarket wheel with a bit less BS?
I have stock 16" alloy's now...
Old 01-17-2012, 12:20 AM   #86
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by commando View Post
Subscribed.

I really want a set of these for my 2006 DC, and my 285's are shot so it might be happening soon.

they work great on stock wheels. Ninorth is running them. no issues and no rubbing.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:08 AM   #87
Longtime Toyman

Quote:
Cool
Post up your results after you flex it a bit
I stuffed them as far as I could with a bottle jack under the LCA and it looks like it wont be a problem. At full lock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando View Post
Mine are on the stock TRD 16" alloys and look like they stick out farther than the stock steelies did. Less BS would make them stick out farther, and you probably don't want to go wider than a 7" wheel. Maybe it's the straighter sidewall, but I think the tread on my 245/75/16s were centered on the mud flap and the 255/85/16s are at the outer edge.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:25 AM   #88
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
i also notice your running 1st gen trd wheels. maybe the backspacing is different?
Old 01-17-2012, 01:34 AM   #89
Longtime Toyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
i also notice your running 1st gen trd wheels. maybe the backspacing is different?
$100 for a set of TRD alloys I couldn't pass up the deal. I didn't know they they were 1st gen, just that they weren't the current ones. I'll measure the BS on the alloys and the steelies when I swap back to my commuting tires later today (280 mile/week).
Old 01-17-2012, 02:02 AM   #90
commando is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
commando's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
they work great on stock wheels. Ninorth is running them. no issues and no rubbing.

That will free up some funds for some other stuff for sure, (I'm thinking...... new gears!) "EXCELLENT!"
Old 01-18-2012, 12:23 AM   #91
Longtime Toyman

Well I had to get them a little dirty today. I went up on the hill north of my house before taking it to the stealership for it's free oil change.

Well I measured them when I did the swap out.
1st Gen TRDs 4.5" BS
Stock Steelies 5" BS
2nd Gen TRDs 5.5" BS (according to the wheel specs thread)
Old 05-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #92
4th MAW
ETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MASS 6 El Toro
ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
So general consensus is these tires do not fit with stock suspension, even with trimming in the wheel wells. Correct?
Old 05-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #93

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETAV8R View Post
So general consensus is these tires do not fit with stock suspension, even with trimming in the wheel wells. Correct?
Correct
Old 04-18-2013, 06:32 AM   #94
Eh?
Dibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
Dibblit's Tacoma Gallery
Had to loose the front mud flaps due to rubbing issues after installing Icon extended travel suspension and UCA. Had my caster set to 3.25* and trimmed a lot. During full compression of the shock the tires will rub on the fender liner, and if you caster is at 4* or more they will hook your front bumper (if you are running a stocker) and try to remove it for you. All my previous posts in this thread were based on a ready lift leveling kit with stock UCA's and caster set at 2.75*.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:01 AM   #95
nelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednelztaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Neil
nelztaco's Tacoma Gallery
It's Alive!
Old 04-18-2013, 07:04 AM   #96
Bogg is on a distinguished road
Bogg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Bogg
I'm running 255s on stock sport rims and 1.25" wheel spacers to clear my UCAs. Stuffed no problems on driver side. Passenger side I rub my flares. Think it's due to my alignment tho. I'm running mud flaps by renotacoma (flexible kind) and tore off passenger side. I was going to regear to 4.56s but after talking with several members my highway mileage is going to suffer with them so still running stock gears for now.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #97

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogg View Post
I'm running 255s on stock sport rims and 1.25" wheel spacers to clear my UCAs. Stuffed no problems on driver side. Passenger side I rub my flares. Think it's due to my alignment tho. I'm running mud flaps by renotacoma (flexible kind) and tore off passenger side. I was going to regear to 4.56s but after talking with several members my highway mileage is going to suffer with them so still running stock gears for now.
Wut

You don't need spacers to clear the UCA's with 255 / Stock Sport Alloys

Old 04-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #98
Last Straw of Brittfartikus
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogg View Post
I believe the 2009 Sport OEM tires were 265/65-17. Maybe the spacers are causing the rubbing.

Or 255 was a typo?
Old 04-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #99

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
I believe the 2009 Sport OEM tires were 265/65-17. Maybe the spacers are causing the rubbing.

Or 255 was a typo?
He is running 255's on stock Sport wheels , much like I'm running 275's on stock Sport wheels
Old 04-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #100
Last Straw of Brittfartikus
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
He is running 255's on stock Sport wheels , much like I'm running 275's on stock Sport wheels
My point was that it appears to be a narrower tire than the Sport wheels came with from the factory. The wider OEM tires shouldn't have rubbed anything, so a narrower tire shouldn't, unless it was considerably taller.