Notices

Wheel studs too short

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-20-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
muddytaco is on a distinguished road
Marines: Retired
muddytaco's Tacoma Gallery
Wheel studs too short

Howdy, Just put on aftermarket ProComp rims on my 07 Taco and found out that my studs are just a wee bit short. Looking into replacing them. Currently only 4.5 complete turns on each lug nut. Dont think that is going to cut it when I get into the rough stuff. I keep checking them and nothing is loosening up. Anyone run into this problem and what did you do to correct it? I did find a link where somone replaced them with studs for a matrix. Currently looking into that.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:16 PM   #2
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddytaco View Post
Howdy, Just put on aftermarket ProComp rims on my 07 Taco and found out that my studs are just a wee bit short. Looking into replacing them. Currently only 4.5 complete turns on each lug nut. Dont think that is going to cut it when I get into the rough stuff. I keep checking them and nothing is loosening up. Anyone run into this problem and what did you do to correct it? I did find a link where somone replaced them with studs for a matrix. Currently looking into that.
NO! i would not trust that... my best friend owns a tire shop and he hates it when people make mistakes like that.... are the wheels made for your taco or did you just buy them off of somebody???
Old 10-20-2008, 08:34 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Just get some longer studs from an auto parts store.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:38 PM   #4
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yeah because only 4.5 turns is not what i would call safe personally
Old 10-20-2008, 08:39 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TRDMAN- View Post
Ummmmm.....No.
Me either.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:42 PM   #6
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by -TRDMAN- View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Ummmmm.....No.
Me either.
C'mon, where's your sense of adventure?.....................j/k
Old 10-20-2008, 08:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4life View Post
c'mon, where's your sense of adventure?.....................j/k
thats true but that would be a costly adventure!
Old 10-20-2008, 08:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
C'mon, where's your sense of adventure?.....................j/k
LOL, I lost my "wheel stud adventure" when I thought 3 outta 5 aint bad, just before a road trip.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:49 PM   #9
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
lol, i lost my "wheel stud adventure" when i thought 3 outta 5 aint bad, just before a road trip.
lol!
Old 10-24-2008, 03:57 PM   #10
muddytaco is on a distinguished road
Marines: Retired
muddytaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the input, I ordered some wheel studs online, waiting on them to come in. I am driving it only on the road. I wont hit the trails unitl the new studs are installed. Still checking and nothing is working loose. I agree, not the safest thing to do, but you do what you got to do. I ordered the rims and tires from tirepackage.com. I dont recommend anyone using them. It has been somewhat of a pain in the arse. Took a month to get them, lugnuts were the wrong size they actually sent me 25 lugnuts two different sizes both wrong, also they mounted the tires on the wheels and used the old style valve stems, black rubber ones, damn they look realllly nice on my polished rims. They did allow me to buy lugs locally and credit my card for the cost. So if anyone needs ten 7/16 lugs or fifeteen 1.25RH lugs let me know.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #11
When I grow up I want to be just like Me
BRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BRP27's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a different way to solve this issue. use a Lug Nut that reaches further down into the rim face. This will allow better thread engagement because the nut reaches further down into onto the stud. Part number 4138ET Lower right of this page
http://www.gorilla-auto.com/lug.nuts.page_08

Or my personal favorite
http://www.brandsport.com/grla-21138et.html

You would need to make sure you have a 60 degree bolt hole mating surface to use the above lugs, which means these Lug Nuts may not work for your Rims. What I am offering is a solution to the wheel studs being to short. There are lugs that will reach futher down into the rim and engage more of the stud thread. Notice the area below the 60 degree seat on the lug, that is what will be added to the thread engagement

Oh, replacing all the studs with longer ones will cost about what the lugs cost and will be a much bigger pain in the ars.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:18 PM   #12
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
We carry Extended Thread Lug Nuts for those kinds of wheels. They are offered in standard or spline drive. Much easier than getting longer studs.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:19 PM   #13
BRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRP27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BRP27's Tacoma Gallery
Much Much better than changing studs
Old 03-11-2010, 01:33 PM   #14
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
LOL, I lost my "wheel stud adventure" when I thought 3 outta 5 aint bad, just before a road trip.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:05 PM   #15

BRP27's Tacoma Gallery
I replaced my lugs today with EXTENDED LUGs and got 10 turns on each lug.

With the old lugs I was only getting 4 turns I also notiched the back studs were a little longer