Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Cooper AT3 Opinions

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #81
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, interesting thread. I was this.,.close to getting AT3s for our Sequoia because I like a neat looking, nonboring tire. However after a few reviews and from my past knowledge of poopers, I decided to go with the boring, expensive best LTX.
This may partly be due to the last 2.5 years of fighting vibes and hums from my Duratracs. Amazing performance and badass looks, but hey the most important element of performance may be smooth and quiet ride.
Mike I wonder if your dramatic negative experience of returning to the AT3 was partially due the inherent contrast between a HT vs AT.?.? Kind of an apples to oranges thing. But true I've ran Revos, BFG A/T ko, Terra Grapplers, generic all terrains, and as mentioned duratracs and they ALL get louder and vibrate and start to chop despite frequent rotation (3k intervals).
Old 01-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #82
beckleyota is just really nicebeckleyota is just really nicebeckleyota is just really nicebeckleyota is just really nice

beckleyota's Tacoma Gallery
i work at a copper dealer and we sell alot of at3 on just about everything and people really like them. i have several friends that run them and they love em. i do recamend regular rotation every 3000 miles also never expect full treadlife on a tire always expect a third what the tire says atleast around here in the mountians. we see verry few people that come into the shop that get full treadlife out of there tires of any brand.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:02 AM   #83
Hunter-Gatherer
DBZ is a name known to allDBZ is a name known to allDBZ is a name known to allDBZ is a name known to allDBZ is a name known to allDBZ is a name known to all
DBZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airun View Post
Wow, interesting thread. I was this.,.close to getting AT3s for our Sequoia because I like a neat looking, nonboring tire. However after a few reviews and from my past knowledge of poopers, I decided to go with the boring, expensive best LTX.
This may partly be due to the last 2.5 years of fighting vibes and hums from my Duratracs. Amazing performance and badass looks, but hey the most important element of performance may be smooth and quiet ride.
Mike I wonder if your dramatic negative experience of returning to the AT3 was partially due the inherent contrast between a HT vs AT.?.? Kind of an apples to oranges thing. But true I've ran Revos, BFG A/T ko, Terra Grapplers, generic all terrains, and as mentioned duratracs and they ALL get louder and vibrate and start to chop despite frequent rotation (3k intervals).
You may look at the Michelin AT2. I've got a buddy who has those on his 4x4 Tundra Crew Cab that likes his. He says there is road noise from them, but they do have 85k miles on them. He says next time he will go with the LTX since he's not off road much. Also, check out the Hankook Dynapro ATM. Those get good reviews on TW from Tacoma owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckleyota View Post
i work at a copper dealer and we sell alot of at3 on just about everything and people really like them. i have several friends that run them and they love em. i do recamend regular rotation every 3000 miles also never expect full treadlife on a tire always expect a third what the tire says atleast around here in the mountians. we see verry few people that come into the shop that get full treadlife out of there tires of any brand.
See the above about the Michelin AT2. Granted he rotates every 5k and we're not in the mountains. I also got 55k out of the BFG Rugged Trails that came on my Tacoma (not sure what is good for those tires). Probably could have gone to 60k, but the Coopers deal come up and couldn't pass. I don't necessarily think they are a bad tire, just aggravating at this point. If I get 50-60k out of mine I will be happy for the price I paid.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:29 AM   #85
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I actually went from the Dunlops to Cooper ATRs (predecessor to the AT3) and really liked them. The sidewalls of the ATRs starting splitting, so Cooper warrantied them for me. Since the ATR was no longer in production, I went with the AT3 so I actually am comparing the AT3 against the very tire it was meant to replace. Since I sold off the AT3s, I went back to a set of Bridgestone Dueler H/Ts and it's night and day difference (they ride and handle better than even the ATRs did but, like you mentioned, that's expected when comparing H/Ts vs. A/Ts.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #86
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
One thing is for sure, I'm never completely happy with any one tire. Is asking too much for a gnarly aggressive looking tread pattern with HT manners on hiway while boosting mpgs 10% and lasting 60k miles???
Old 01-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #87
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
One thing is for sure, I'm never completely happy with any one tire. Is asking too much for a gnarly aggressive looking tread pattern with HT manners on hiway while boosting mpgs 10% and lasting 60k miles???
If only such a tire existed
Old 01-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #88
adrstout is on a distinguished road

Name: Adam
adrstout's Tacoma Gallery
Love mine in 265/75r16. Had then just over 5,000 miles now. More dry traction than I could ever use. Wet traction is also very good. Haven't found mud that gives them a fit though I generally avoid the stuff. Love to explore and haven't found a situation they can't handle. Not saying I couldn't push it and find one.

They are slightly noisy though not too bad. Mine wander a bit at speed. Mileage might have taken a hit compared to my 245 dunflops but winter gas hit at about the same time so it is hard to pin down why my MPGs have dropped slightly.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #89
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
I've had mine for about 8000 miles now. Tire is wearing just fine. For me, it seemed to perform well in the mud but was just OK in the snow. Had a bunch more road noise than my H/Ts, but not an irritating amount. They are fine in the rain. Really no big complaints so far.

The main reason I got them is because they were one of the few tires available in 275/70R17.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #90
ZoMbiE aLeRt
choppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
choppersx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
OK, here are the pics!
The truck with the old ATR's in 265/65R17

New Cooper AT3's in 265/70R17

Initial review, I only drive about 25 miles home from the tire shop but here it goes: The ATR's I had got louder as they got older. They were never a loud tire but you knew you weren't on a highway touring tire. I can't see these being quieter, they do have a very very low howl from them. It's not bad at all but they won't be quieter than the ATR's as they age. They are very smooth tires and track better than the ATR's. They don't seem to wander like the ATR's did. Overall, I'm very happy so far and will update this once I start really putting some miles on the tires.

I have a question , did you have to purchase new tire pressure sensors with these new set of tires?

Im really liking these tires
Old 02-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #91
kws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkws129 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kws129's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppersx View Post
I have a question , did you have to purchase new tire pressure sensors with these new set of tires?

negatory, you'll probably have to calibrate them once your new tires are on. just follow the steps in the owners manual
Old 02-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #92
JW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: JW
JW87's Tacoma Gallery
i had the at3s on my ranger and loved them. In the year i had them they didnt appear to wear.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #93
ZoMbiE aLeRt
choppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shedchoppersx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
choppersx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kws129 View Post
negatory, you'll probably have to calibrate them once your new tires are on. just follow the steps in the owners manual

Kool! so i dont need new ones since there like $20 a piece at tire shops. yeah going to go from 265/65/17 to 265/70/17 in the future just doing some research before i do go and make that change. Thanks man
Old 02-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #94
Misterclean is on a distinguished road
Army: E5 Meteorological Team Chief; Air Assault, 25th Infantry Division
Misterclean's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I'm in the market for some new Coopers and wanted some opinions on tire selection and size. First, does anyone have the AT3? It seems like a decent enough tire, I had the ATR but it's been discontinued. The AT3 is new and I was hoping one of you had this tire? I'm torn between the AT3 and the H/T at the moment, any suggestions either way? Mostly on pavement, but it has to perform regardless of weather (snow).

Second, I'm debating switching tire size because of the warranty issues I just went through.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...e-dry-rot.html
I'm thinking maybe a 255/70R17 or possibly a 245/75R17. I'm leaning toward the 255 because the 245 seems to force me into a high load rating as far as I can tell. Is anyone running a narrower tire on the TRD Sport rims than stock? If so, what are you running?

Thanks for the help! Based on past poll results, here's to get some interest
SEE MY COMPREHENSIVE REVIEW. GREAT TIRE... Highly recommended!! : http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...t3-review.html
Old 02-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #95

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppersx View Post

Sorry, didn't see your post, kws is correct, no need for new sensors. You'll have to get a TPMS rebuild kit but they're cheap, like a buck/wheel. Otherwise, just reset the system to your new pressure and you're all set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterclean View Post
SEE MY COMPREHENSIVE REVIEW. GREAT TIRE... Highly recommended!! : http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...t3-review.html
Too late, I already got rid of mine. Couldn't stand them but I seem to be the minority. I'm glad Cooper is still making decent tires, just sucks I got a crappy set.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:55 AM   #96
tacomabrb is on a distinguished road
tacomabrb's Tacoma Gallery
I put some 275/70R17 Cooper A/T≥ on my 2009 tacoma in October 2012. Put them through a good test for highway, dry, mud, slush, snow, and ice here in Alberta.

They are a good all purpose tire. Get good mileage on highway and did not notice any noise after a few days of use. They are good in mud and slushy conditions.

They were pretty good in deep soft snow. I pulled out a few 3/4 ton Chevy's while ice fishing this year. Hahaha.

In deep sticky snow or deep hard snow, without the weight, I had some problems..............but without proper weight, that can happen with almost any tire.

As far as driving on hard packed snow and ice, do not mistake these for winter tires like some people do. Of course, cannot compare a winter tire with any kind of all-season or all terrain tire. I found these tires do not have great traction on hard snow or ice. Did a few stopping tests at various speeds and will be getting winter tires for next winter.

With that being said, I am very happy with this tire for spring, summer and fall conditions with any on or off roading I do during those seasons in Alberta and would recommend them for that.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #97
Hart41983 is on a distinguished road
Hart41983's Tacoma Gallery
twenty thousand mile review, tires wore very unevenly likley have half life on them at this point. 95% highway miles. Severely wobbly and very difficult to balance, certainly not very good on snow/ice road conditions comapared to others Ive owned. Definitely not the standard cooper tire. Going with a different tire for sure next
Old 04-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #98
gman eb is on a distinguished road
gman eb's Tacoma Gallery
Iím currently looking around for a new set of tires. Right now I have Duratracs. I have 40k on them now, plus one just went flat, so I definitely need a new set. I loved my Duratracs but have been looking around for a cheaper option. Everyone seems to love these AT3ís until they get passed 20k on them. Hopefully Iíll come across more reviews that state otherwise because the price is pretty decent.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:17 AM   #99
hillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant future

Name: Daniel
hillbillytoyo's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going to go with the AT3's , having them put on Sat. I have the BFG AT K/O's now so we'll see how they measure up
Old 05-29-2013, 06:51 AM   #100

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillytoyo View Post
I'm going to go with the AT3's , having them put on Sat. I have the BFG AT K/O's now so we'll see how they measure up
Good luck and I hope your experience is one of the positive ones!