Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

255's and 8" wide rims?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
255's and 8" wide rims?

I would like to get new mud tires soon and i'm on the fence about whether to get 255's or 285's. Since i'm running an 8" wide rim i'm concerned about the 255's. Is this rim a little to wide for it? Will it cause me to blow a bead more easily if aired down? Where i live, i'm mostly on the trails and there's quite a bit of rock so airing down is a must. I've talked to a couple of tire shops and they both wouldn't recommend it. Any thoughts?
Old 08-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
The Goodyear Kevlar 255/75-17 is approved for an 8" rim.

255/85-16 KM2's are also approved for an 8" rim.

Bottom line is that it depends on the manufacturer's specs.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
I got the Cooper ST on a 8" wide rim, no issues
Old 08-07-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
The Goodyear Kevlar 255/75-17 is approved for an 8" rim.

255/85-16 KM2's are also approved for an 8" rim.

Bottom line is that it depends on the manufacturer's specs.
I know the KM2's are approved for an 8" wide rim but recommended width is 7.5" I was just wondering in the real world (with airing down to 10 psi or so) if i would have any problems blowing beads while in the rocks and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
I got the Cooper ST on a 8" wide rim, no issues
Good to know and thanks for the response! Do you air down much? If so, how much do you air down?
Old 08-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iv gone down to about 15 maybe, no issues thus far!
Old 08-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
iv gone down to about 15 maybe, no issues thus far!
Nice! Do you notice the tires bulging more near the rims than the actual tread width?
Old 08-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #7
Almost there

seems pretty centered on the tire to me, to be perfectly honest never really noticed though. Maybe I will air it down and shoot a pic for you to see.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #8

I would really appreciate that. Anywhere from 10 to 15 psi would be perfect. I'm really curious to see that.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #9
Almost there

It might not be till tomorrow though idk where my air compressor is lol