Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Poked a hole in my new Duratrac! Right thru the rubber lug! (plugged FTW)

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-09-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Poked a hole in my new Duratrac! Right thru the rubber lug! (plugged FTW)

These are 265/75/16 Load "C" Light Truck Tires. 6-ply. A piece of metal pierced the lug and tire creating a leak.

SITUATION:

• It was the Duratrac's first off-road expedition. I was deep in Saline Valley, CA, it was 30 miles uphill to the nearest pavement and the TPMS light went off. I stopped the truck (engine running) and looked around but everything looked fine. I stopped about a mile further to investigate an area of interest. With the engine off and the puncture at 12 o'clock I heard the hissing sound.
RESOLUTION:
  • I moved the truck around to make some shade for myself (104° in the sun) and went to work. I jacked up the axle a 1/2" to take pressure off the tire. I removed the offending piece of metal, used the rasp tool, applied the rubber cement to the plug, and then plugged the hole. I then aired up the tire.
  • All said and done it took me about 20 minutes. But let me tell you, getting that rasp tool all the way through the rubber lug plus the 6-plys of rubber nearly took the force of Conan! It was no easy task!
AFTER THOUGHTS:
  • I don't know WTF that piece of metal was, as it was sharpend on both ends. It wasn't a nail... Anyways I'm keeping that fugger.
  • Tire plug kits are worth their weight in gold if you don't have to change to a spare tire. Tire plug kits FTMFW!
  • Saline Valley has a long history of disabling vehicles, so I'm not the least bit disappointed at what happened. It goes with the territory.

Close up of the plug before trimming.

Trimmed the plug with a scissors per directions on packaging

Saline Valley, CA
Old 08-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
+2 on the plug kit. I never leave home without one and the air pump. Fuck changing the tire without a reeeaaaalllly good reason. A simple puncture is not a good reason. Now, when back in civilization, pull out the plug a block from whatever place you bought them from and utilize your road hazard warranty.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery

I keep one of those kits under the rear seat just in case. I think you'd be nuts not to have one (and know how to use it!).
Old 08-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I'm going to need to get a plug kit. All I have is the spare right now.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #5
elblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant future

Name: Blake
elblako91's Tacoma Gallery
I have one but don't have anyway of getting air in the tire after the repair. Do yall just carry around a portable tank or have a on board air system?
Old 08-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by elblako91 View Post
I have one but don't have anyway of getting air in the tire after the repair. Do yall just carry around a portable tank or have a on board air system?
I've got a cheapo 12v portable compressor. It'd take about 10 - 15 minutes to completely fill a flat tire but it gets the job done. Only cost about $30. If you air down for a trail, you'd probably want something a little more substantial. You'd be there for an hour if you had to refill 4 tires with my little compressor.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #7
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
+2 on the plug kit. I never leave home without one and the air pump. Fuck changing the tire without a reeeaaaalllly good reason. A simple puncture is not a good reason. Now, when back in civilization, pull out the plug a block from whatever place you bought them from and utilize your road hazard warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post

I keep one of those kits under the rear seat just in case. I think you'd be nuts not to have one (and know how to use it!).
That's where mine had been resting for almost two years along with the viair compressor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I'm going to need to get a plug kit. All I have is the spare right now.
Best $5.00 I've spent on the truck so far.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
puckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

puckstopper55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
you could always get one of those little 12V cig lighter pumps. They take forever, but they do work.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #9

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This is what I have viair 90p portable compressor. Shit works pretty good and fits under the double cab back seat storage area. Clips right on the battery terminals for power.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #10
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
i dont think you can get road hazard warranty on LT tires can you? I ran over a piece of metal recently and flattened my revo 2. Unfortunately it was a 3" gash and i couldn't plug it. I do carry plugs in my truck though. On a side note... those rear rims are a PITA to get off sometimes. Mine was corroded on and i had to beat the hell outta it to get it off.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #11

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSupreem View Post
i dont think you can get road hazard warranty on LT tires can you? I ran over a piece of metal recently and flattened my revo 2. Unfortunately it was a 3" gash and i couldn't plug it. I do carry plugs in my truck though. On a side note... those rear rims are a PITA to get off sometimes. Mine was corroded on and i had to beat the hell outta it to get it off.
When you do get them off, put some never sieze on the back. It helps prevent the rim from corroding onto the hub.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #12
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
I've had 2 holes in my duratracs in 6 months. and never had 1 in 2 years with my bfg's.

definitely going back to bfg's next.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:23 AM   #13

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSupreem View Post
You can at Discount tire. I declined the service though when I bought my tires. I think it was $16.00 or $18.00 for each replacement certificate, and you had to buy four certificates at purchase time with the four new tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
I've had 2 holes in my duratracs in 6 months. and never had 1 in 2 years with my bfg's.

definitely going back to bfg's next.
Funny. I had the OEM BFG Rugged trails for 2 years and wheeled them to hell and back with no problems. I ditched the rugged trails after 22K miles in favor of the new Duratracs because I didn't trust them anymore.

I don't really think it matters though because of the simple fact is that tires are made of rubber and the objects we run over are hard and punctures are going to be inevitable.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #14
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
looks like a mangled fence staple.

any fencing in that area, or is someone deliberately trying to give people flats?
Old 08-09-2011, 12:03 PM   #15
If i asked my dad for money, He'd knock me out
Bfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Bfoster133's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBS View Post

any fencing in that area, or is someone deliberately trying to give people flats?
this. its not really mangled its bent like it should be to hold the fence in place at the top to a wire, cheaper since you dont need a bar and its esier to set up, we have a bunch around here... no fun
Old 08-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #16

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBS View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster133 View Post
this. its not really mangled its bent like it should be to hold the fence in place at the top to a wire, cheaper since you dont need a bar and its esier to set up, we have a bunch around here... no fun
Yes. I am sure that is it. And I am sure that there was some fencing somewhere near the trail. Probably around an old mining site at one point in time. A storm must have washed it onto the trail.

Thanks for alerting me to what it was.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:05 PM   #17
Byte Me
JFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JFKLives's Tacoma Gallery
Wow - in my younger days, I used to plug tires all the time but I haven't carried a kit in years. Think I'll pick up one up again this weekend - thanks for the reminder.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #18
Byte Me
JFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JFKLives's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
This is what I have viair 90p portable compressor. Shit works pretty good and fits under the double cab back seat storage area. Clips right on the battery terminals for power.

I have a similar kit but didn't think of putting it under the back seat - need to do that this week as well .. LoL
Old 08-10-2011, 04:30 PM   #19

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
I had Discount patch the tire today for free. Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #20
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Bummer on the new tire flat Crom!

The TPMS light is way cool alerting you to the flat before the air has totally left the tire... Lets you find the hole fast (by listening... so yes, turn off the engine) and roll the truck so the hole is in the best position to plug it. I didn't need to jack it up, just plug and fill with air... Muy Rapido!

I got my first 2010 Tacoma flat on the Rugged Fails at 13,000 miles (near Laguna Chapala) and the second at 18,000 miles (on the Punta San Carlos road)... Both were plugged on the spot by me. Later that day or the next, I had a patch put in at a llantera (tire shop) in El Rosario.

At 20,000 miles I ditched the worthless BFGs for the Hankook Dynapros.... that was almost 9,000 flat free miles ago.

Again very sorry for the flat, as those tires are beautiful!

Products Discussed in this Thread