Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Predator Rims with 285's

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-23-2008, 05:47 PM   #1
Jay_bruce is on a distinguished road
Jay_bruce's Tacoma Gallery
Predator Rims with 285's

First, Want to say thanks to everyone who posts on TW. This has been a great resource for real world answers. Did a ton of research here before I made the plunge.

Here are my new shoes. 285 Nittos on MB Predator chrome rims. I really didn't think I'd like the chrome, but they seem to work.

I have 5100's set to 1.75" up front and the TSB leaf spring only in back.

Here's what I experienced when installing the new 285's: Had to do a fair amount of trimming to both the inner well and fenders. Also had to remove the front mud flaps. Found that a good utility knife cut through everything easily. I got out the recp. saw, but found it was not needed.

Had a free alignment coming to me from the dealership, so today, I had them do the alignment with the new tires installed.

The Nittos came inflated at 60 psi, but rode real hard and accented the truck's vibrations, I told the tech it was vibrating pretty stong and he lowered the tire pressure to 32 psi (still not sure about that low of pressure). Anyway, the vibs aren't the strong anymore. If any of your are running 285 Nittos please let me know what tire pressure you are running.

Overall, I'm stoked. The visual difference it amazing. Here are some picts-
Attached Thumbnails
Predator Rims with 285's-before_predators.jpg   Predator Rims with 285's-tac04.jpg   Predator Rims with 285's-tac01.jpg   Predator Rims with 285's-tac02.jpg   Predator Rims with 285's-taco3.jpg  

Old 10-23-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
KaliTaco is on a distinguished road
KaliTaco's Tacoma Gallery
i runs mines at 35psi. 265/70/17 nitto tg
Old 10-23-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
Here's some picts of the trimming I had to do to my wheel wells-
Attached Thumbnails
Predator Rims with 285's-triming1.jpg   Predator Rims with 285's-trimimg2.jpg   Predator Rims with 285's-triming3.jpg   Predator Rims with 285's-trimmed1.jpg  
Old 10-23-2008, 06:16 PM   #5
Here's a couple more picts of the wheels. It was raining here today so the close up looks $hitty. Hope this thread helps those of you who are searching for info on new shoes.-

Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Predator Rims with 285's-pred_close.jpg   Predator Rims with 285's-taco6.jpg  
Old 10-23-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliTaco View Post
i runs mines at 35psi. 265/70/17 nitto tg
thanks, thinking about trying 40 psi.... not sure though-
Old 10-23-2008, 06:26 PM   #7
KaliTaco is on a distinguished road
KaliTaco's Tacoma Gallery
looks good. i like.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:32 PM   #8
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
How is your truck sitting? From the second picture, it looks kinda like the front is sitting higher than the back.

I ask only because I'm installing my 3" front coilover lift tomorrow and all I have on the rear is the TSB springs. Right now, the back is exactly 3" higher than the front - so, I was thinking that I SHOULD be level with the 3" coilover up front...

I also got 285/75s (but BFG M/T) so I'm glad that it's gonna look awesome based on your photos!
Old 10-23-2008, 08:03 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Wilkerson View Post
How is your truck sitting? From the second picture, it looks kinda like the front is sitting higher than the back.

I ask only because I'm installing my 3" front coilover lift tomorrow and all I have on the rear is the TSB springs. Right now, the back is exactly 3" higher than the front - so, I was thinking that I SHOULD be level with the 3" coilover up front...

I also got 285/75s (but BFG M/T) so I'm glad that it's gonna look awesome based on your photos!
Since I have 1.75" up front, my back is still 1" higher. (Trust me the front does sit lower). Must just be the photo. I thought about going to the next level up, which is 2.5", but decided against it for now. From what I read, the coil would be pretty compressed and only have about an inch of down travel.

Also, I thought about doing the 3" upfront, but would hate to have the TSB settle, leaving the front higher-

Hope this helps-

Jay
Old 10-23-2008, 08:21 PM   #10
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
That looks clean man!
Old 10-23-2008, 08:31 PM   #11
it's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud of

it's in coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_bruce View Post
First, Want to say thanks to everyone who posts on TW. This has been a great resource for real world answers. Did a ton of research here before I made the plunge.

Here are my new shoes. 285 Nittos on MB Predator chrome rims. I really didn't think I'd like the chrome, but they seem to work.

I have 5100's set to 1.75" up front and the TSB leaf spring only in back.

Here's what I experienced when installing the new 285's: Had to do a fair amount of trimming to both the inner well and fenders. Also had to remove the front mud flaps. Found that a good utility knife cut through everything easily. I got out the recp. saw, but found it was not needed.

Had a free alignment coming to me from the dealership, so today, I had them do the alignment with the new tires installed.

The Nittos came inflated at 60 psi, but rode real hard and accented the truck's vibrations, I told the tech it was vibrating pretty stong and he lowered the tire pressure to 32 psi (still not sure about that low of pressure). Anyway, the vibs aren't the strong anymore. If any of your are running 285 Nittos please let me know what tire pressure you are running.

Overall, I'm stoked. The visual difference it amazing. Here are some picts-
looks awesome...we have the same suspension set up...did you have to get ucas to fit the tires?
Old 10-23-2008, 08:33 PM   #12
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great!
Old 10-24-2008, 09:43 AM   #13
06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of

06Bluez's Tacoma Gallery
I used to have those wheels and i loved them! the backspacing was perfect!! I got rid of them though to get some black Helo's. The Helo's have terrible back spacing and i had to by spacers with them.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:51 AM   #15
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Im running 285-65X18 Nitto dunes. I run them at 45 psi. and I did alot more trimming on the front than that! I cut out that entire vent thingy thats on there and Im thinking about cutting a little more out.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:31 AM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by it's in coma View Post
looks awesome...we have the same suspension set up...did you have to get ucas to fit the tires?
Nope.... using stock UCA's, the rims have great clearance. That's the main reasons I chose the Predators over other brands-
Old 10-24-2008, 10:31 AM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I run my Nitto TG's at 50psi b/c thats what the shop owner told me to run them at. Nearly 30,000 miles later they still have 30% tread left.
That's good to know, How's the ride at 50 psi?
Old 10-24-2008, 11:22 AM   #19
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
here are the pics of how much of the inner fender I had to cut out and I still have rubbing issues when wheelin.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:19 PM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
here are the pics of how much of the inner fender I had to cut out and I still have rubbing issues when wheelin.

WOW, I thought I had to hack away a lot of plastic! you win!!