Notices

16 steel wheels to oem alloy

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
Retiredron is on a distinguished road
Name: Ron
Retiredron's Tacoma Gallery
16 steel wheels to oem alloy

Change 16 steel wheels on 2008 base tacoma to oem alloy wheels. Which one will work and what needs to be be done to do it?
Old 08-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
Just gotta get ur hands on alloys and do tire swap
Old 08-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
and make sure their the same lug pattern
Old 08-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: FC1(SW)
Name: Beau
2kool4school's Tacoma Gallery
depending on where you are, what alloys your looking for and what your steels look like someone might be willing to trade you
Old 08-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
The Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
The Yellow Dart's Tacoma Gallery
I've actually heard that the TPMS are different sizes for the steelies than the alloys, and that you either need new sensors or some kind of restraint for the ones that come with the steels.

But I could also be completely wrong on this.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:46 AM   #6
daggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nice
daggertats's Tacoma Gallery
the angle of the tpms is different for the steel versus the alloys although i got aftermarket alloys and my sensors off my steel wheels worked in them. i guess its just a try it and see thing.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
I did it, it was a subtle change but I think the truck looks way more balanced and I was glad to have some bigger tires that are better able to handle the snows around here. I went from the 245mm Dunlops to the 265mm Hankook Dynapros. Prepare to take a loss though - I sold my steelies with the Dunlops with 5,000 miles on them for a whopping $200. I just built a pressure chamber for the TPMS sensors.

After:
Old 08-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, to answer your question - nothing needs to be done. You can even use your factory tires ont eh new wheels if you want. The TPMS is the only thing you have to mess with, either by trying to flip them and make them fit, build a pressure chamber to bypass the light, tape off the light on your dash or just live with it. Oh, or you can pay $125/pc for new sensors at the dealer.

Those steel wheels are kind of a sore spot for me. I understand them on the base Tacos, but my SR5 had all the towing options, backup camera, color matched fenders, etc. but it still came with some pretty lame looking steel wheels that look like they belong on a fleet vehicle. For a compact truck that stickered at $29,900 you would expect some decent looking wheels. They really use them as a selling point for the OR or Sport packages.