Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Rotating Tires

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-24-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
Mz_TazComa is a splendid one to beholdMz_TazComa is a splendid one to beholdMz_TazComa is a splendid one to beholdMz_TazComa is a splendid one to beholdMz_TazComa is a splendid one to beholdMz_TazComa is a splendid one to beholdMz_TazComa is a splendid one to behold

Mz_TazComa's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Mz_TazComa
Rotating Tires

I just rotated the tires on my '06 DC. I have a little under 20k on them. There was some controversy as to whether we should rotate them from front to back or diagonally. I ended up doing them the way I thought, but I won't say which way until I hear some thoughts from you guys.

So which is it....front to back or diagonal?
Old 10-24-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Owners manual says front to back.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Driver side rear to passenger side front. Passenger side rear to driver side front. Driver side front to driver side rear. Passenger side front to passenger side rear.

OR

front to back. I havent seen any advantage to doing it the first way.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:41 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION
AUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant future
AUDITECH's Tacoma Gallery
If you are staring to get feathering a little then diag is the only way to go and i think that is the best way anyways
Old 10-24-2008, 06:47 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i always go front to back, and then every 6k miles, i'll go diagonal. never had a problem doing it either way though.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:50 PM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
i always go front to back, and then every 6k miles, i'll go diagonal. never had a problem doing it either way though.
ditto...plus if a tire is wearing one way and u keep doing the same pattern over and over, its just gonna keep getting worse at that one place
Old 10-24-2008, 06:53 PM   #7
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
ditto...plus if a tire is wearing one way and u keep doing the same pattern over and over, its just gonna keep getting worse at that one place
yep, and thats when you know its probably time for an alignment also.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:55 PM   #8
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
yep, and thats when you know its probably time for an alignment also.
i'm just talkin about tires here, will.i.aint haha
Old 10-24-2008, 06:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
i'm just talkin about tires here, will.i.aint haha
true......but its just good idea to have an alignment check if you are having weird tire wear..........no sense in wearing a tire out if all thats needed is an alignment.

will.i.aint is pretty funny tho.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:57 AM   #10
Drew793 will become famous soon enoughDrew793 will become famous soon enough

Drew793's Tacoma Gallery
I'm gonna add my 2 cents here because this happened to me about a year ago with my wifes 2005 Tucson.

Took it to STS for an oil change and I knew it was about time to have the tires rotated since they hadn't been since the car was new. Odometer approx. 20,000 and the tires all had nice even wear.

Ok, I watched them rotate the tires and they did right passenger rear to front driver side (criss cross). I had aways done front to back. About two weeks later, my wife tells me that she can feel a vibration. Great. I look at the tires and they now have a real weird pattern on them and basically the tires are f'ed up and now need new ones. Ended up getting tires from another place and the guy there told me never to rotate them like that again. $400 for 4 Cooper rain tires. They are working out very nice so far with about 10,000 miles on them.

I don't know who is correct but I never had a problem like this before with any car because I always did front to back.

So, if you do the cris cross thing keep an eye on your tires for something like this.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:03 AM   #11
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
front to back every 5k trust me that is best
Old 10-25-2008, 04:45 AM   #12
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew793 View Post
Ok, I watched them rotate the tires and they did right passenger rear to front driver side (criss cross). I had aways done front to back. About two weeks later, my wife tells me that she can feel a vibration. Great. I look at the tires and they now have a real weird pattern on them and basically the tires are f'ed up and now need new ones. Ended up getting tires from another place and the guy there told me never to rotate them like that again. $400 for 4 Cooper rain tires. They are working out very nice so far with about 10,000 miles on them.

I don't know who is correct but I never had a problem like this before with any car because I always did front to back.

So, if you do the cris cross thing keep an eye on your tires for something like this.
I always do them front to back and the cardinal rule of thumb that I've been told over the years..... is because the tread/tire internals can build up a 'pattern' from traveling in a certain direction. Front to back keeps the tread in that same direction/pattern. When you upset that pattern - you can have problems (like you experienced).
Old 10-25-2008, 12:21 PM   #13
Prayers for Bill and Michelle
trcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant future

trcksr4grls's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to trcksr4grls
I have always done front to back.....
Old 10-25-2008, 05:23 PM   #15
Mz_TazComa is a splendid one to beholdMz_TazComa is a splendid one to beholdMz_TazComa is a splendid one to beholdMz_TazComa is a splendid one to beholdMz_TazComa is a splendid one to beholdMz_TazComa is a splendid one to beholdMz_TazComa is a splendid one to behold

Mz_TazComa's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Mz_TazComa
Thanks guys and gals. I ended up doing them diagonal and so far haven't had a problem, but I will keep an eye (and ear) out for any vibration.

I remember seeing that for front wheel drive toyota recommends moving the back to front and the front to the opposite back. For rear wheel drive it's front to back and back to the opposite front. For non-directional tires, it's diagonal.

I was still curious to see what everyone else was doing and if anyone had any bad experiences a certain way. After reading the responses, I'm sorry I did the diagonal now and just hope my tires are ok.

Thanks again.