Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

what size winter tires to get?

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-16-2011, 07:11 AM   #1
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
TacomaPrime's Tacoma Gallery
what size winter tires to get?

I was planning on getting a set of winter specific tires for my truck. Then getting a new set of rims/tires for summer.
I have always heard/read that you should get skinnier tires for winter. So instead of the 265/70/16 I was going to get 245/75/16

Is that a good idea?
Old 08-16-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
My winter tires are that size 245/75/16, firestone winterforce studded. They have worked great for 3 seasons of hard use towing up in the mountains & going to the ski areas. Four tires shipped in that size from tire rack was $400. Non studded was cheaper obviously.

On truck

Have also used Bridgestone Blizzaks on my tundra, non studded. Very nice tire as well but need more grip on icy hill to camp.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:43 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
If you're going to be on fairly maintained roads, tall and skinny is the way to go. If you're going to be off road in really deep snow, you want lots of floatation so a fat tire aired down would be best.

Judy, that's cheap for a set of studded snows!! I'll be driving a lot more in the winter this year so it might be worth picking up a set of these.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Anyone else have any recommendations for winter tires. I'm getting ready to buy a set and have always used blizzaks, but was reading some other good reviews too.
I have been looking at these in particular.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Old 09-09-2011, 08:32 AM   #5
Cybertronian Tacoma

Also, whats the difference between a passenger and a light truck tire? Can I run a passenger tire on my tacoma?
Old 09-09-2011, 08:35 AM   #6
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
taller skinnier is the way to go for 99% of snow driving, you prob dont need studded

you can put passenger tires on your truck but you lower your carrying/towing capacity
Old 09-24-2011, 09:48 AM   #7
Cybertronian Tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge151 View Post
taller skinnier is the way to go for 99% of snow driving, you prob dont need studded

you can put passenger tires on your truck but you lower your carrying/towing capacity

If I don't tow, is it ok to run passenger tires for the winter?
Old 09-24-2011, 09:54 AM   #8
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by captclueless View Post
If I don't tow, is it ok to run passenger tires for the winter?
Yes, I run P-rated tires year round, even for when I tow and haul.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:53 AM   #9
Cybertronian Tacoma

Ended up with these
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Old 09-26-2011, 10:17 PM   #10
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
those look pretty solid. good luck with them
Old 09-27-2011, 09:18 AM   #11
Cybertronian Tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge151 View Post
those look pretty solid. good luck with them
Thanks. I've only ever used blizzaks before. But these were a good price and rated very well. I'll let you know how they perform.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:26 PM   #12
Cybertronian Tacoma

Damn. that was fast. Tires came in today. Gonna pick em up on my day off on friday. I'll post pics for those that want to see them.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #13
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
I live at on a mountain with the last 1/2 maintained only with a snowblower...I have the Firestone UV Winterforce with studs and the wife has the blizzacks. If you have ICE, then studs ROCK. On the other hand, studded snows do BEST on dedicated rims, and check the laws before ordering. It cost me $15/tire to get them studded by tirerack.

Order in stock sizes for best results.

Howard
Old 09-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #14
TRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to behold

TRDsport253's Tacoma Gallery
So for 17" wheels do you get 245/70R17? Is that equivalent to 245/75R16? I'm getting TRD beadlock wheels and was going to mount winter tires on my 17" TRD sport wheel.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:40 PM   #15
Cybertronian Tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetkind View Post
I live at on a mountain with the last 1/2 maintained only with a snowblower...I have the Firestone UV Winterforce with studs and the wife has the blizzacks. If you have ICE, then studs ROCK. On the other hand, studded snows do BEST on dedicated rims, and check the laws before ordering. It cost me $15/tire to get them studded by tirerack.

Order in stock sizes for best results.

Howard
Yeah, I went with the 245/75/16. I can't have studs here in IL. I wish we could.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:51 PM   #16

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDsport253 View Post
So for 17" wheels do you get 245/70R17? Is that equivalent to 245/75R16? I'm getting TRD beadlock wheels and was going to mount winter tires on my 17" TRD sport wheel.
Yes, 245/70R17 is the same height and width as 245/75R16.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #17
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDsport253 View Post

yes, my winter tires are 245/70R17 on crager rock crawler style rims...had to do just a little light grinding so the stampings would clear the brake.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #18
Cybertronian Tacoma

pics! Not mounted yet. They are going on my factory rims, so I figured I owuld wait till it gets colder.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #19
TRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to behold

TRDsport253's Tacoma Gallery
Does getting winter tires replace the need of using snow chains?
Old 10-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #20
coloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoloradotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
coloradotacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I live in Southeast Denver (Elizabeth, 7000 feet) and commute 35 miles one way to work, tpically whatever Denver gets we get triple. Myself and everyone else here use BFG AT's. I have used them on all my vehicles for the last 10 years and nothing beats them in the snow. Paved, dirt or or off road. I carry chains but have only ever used them for vehicle extraction in extreme situations. If you are looking for a bargain tire look elsewhere but if you want a tire you KNOW you can count on go with these. I pulled teh stock bridgestones off my new Tacoma withinn the first week and put BFG's on.

Products Discussed in this Thread