Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Rim Painting Products

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
watch the meat
cleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedcleanTRDmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
cleanTRDmachine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cleanTRDmachine
Rim Painting Products

First off, yes, I used the search button VERY much before creating this thread.

I'm looking to paint the rims satin black.

1. What rattle can paint to use?

2. What primer to use?

3. What grit sand paper to use?

4. Any other products to use?

...is there a best practice for prep to follow?

Thanks
Kyle
Old 08-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
tacoriffic has a spectacular aura abouttacoriffic has a spectacular aura about

Name: Greg
tacoriffic's Tacoma Gallery
I can see the PlastiDip posts rolling in now
Old 08-18-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Tons of ideas here

You can use pretty much any decent paint and primer-Duplicolor makes some rim specific stuff. Rustoleum is good too. Sand paper all depends on how smooth and glossy you want the finish. You might want to think about paint sealer but that's all up to you.
Does the rattle can paint hold up well when breaking the wheel/tire down? Like Cleantrd I would like satin black wheels as well but was always afraid of the durability.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotacrawler View Post
Does the rattle can paint hold up well when breaking the wheel/tire down? Like Cleantrd I would like satin black wheels as well but was always afraid of the durability.
1) I haven't had any issues and I've moved tires twice since I painted the rims. Gotta be careful-but that's the case with any rim really.
2) It's EASY to patch little bits of damage and what not too. I've been driving and wheeling with them painted for a couple years now and haven't had to touch up much of anything.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #8
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
I used rustoleum, cleaned and sanded with 800 grit I believe... no primer, holding up pretty well so far.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #9
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
If you plasti-dip, you could always sand and prep for paint but just use Plasti-Dip. That way if you wanted a sanded surface on your wheels you could just peel it off.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:11 AM   #11
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
1) I haven't had any issues and I've moved tires twice since I painted the rims. Gotta be careful-but that's the case with any rim really.
2) It's EASY to patch little bits of damage and what not too. I've been driving and wheeling with them painted for a couple years now and haven't had to touch up much of anything.
Cool! Good to know thanks!