How to paint truck rims?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
THE Gavin Fritz.
Gavinfritz101 is on a distinguished road

Name: Gavin
Gavinfritz101's Tacoma Gallery
How to paint truck rims?

I am wondering on how to paint my stock rims black.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You can have them powder coated or you can just clean them up, tape the tires off and rattle can away.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
THE Gavin Fritz.

What kind of paint?
Old 08-19-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
fishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
fishntaco's Tacoma Gallery
A simple search reveals
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...lkthrough.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...new-tires.html
Old 08-19-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
plasti dip.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Don't tape off the tires... that's a lot of work. Use index cards or playing cards and stick them around the rim between the rim and the tire. Much cleaner and a lot less work.

Like this:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...rims-easy.html
Old 08-19-2011, 10:49 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Don't tape off the tires... that's a lot of work. Use index cards or playing cards and stick them around the rim between the rim and the tire. Much cleaner and a lot less work.

Like this:
Great idea. I never thought about that.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #8
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Great idea. I never thought about that.
I hadn't until I saw that thread but having taped off the tires to paint rims in the past, I can tell you it's a pain in the ass to get it right! So far this is the cleanest wheel painting process job I've seen (besides unmounting the tires).
Old 08-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
Banned
Quote:
I hadn't until I saw that thread but having taped off the tires to paint rims in the past, I can tell you it's a pain in the ass to get it right! So far this is the cleanest wheel painting process job I've seen (besides unmounting the tires).
I might have to do the same soon.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #10
THE Gavin Fritz.

So can y'all explain the whole procedure please sorry I'm new to all this...
Old 08-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #11

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I might have to do the same soon.
Me too... my TRD Sport rims are starting to show some corrosion
Old 08-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #12

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavinfritz101 View Post
OP, that thread I gave you the link to was a step by step process. Basically, clean, prep (sand), mask off tires, paint, let dry and reinstall.
Click here for write-up with pictures:
Old 08-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #13
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavinfritz101 View Post
Click the link there but. He shows you how to do it.

Quote:
Me too... my TRD Sport rims are starting to show some corrosion
Mine are actually chipped in a few spots. I was thinking of having them coated but I don't have spare rims.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #14
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
I have spare trd sport rims no tires though if you ever need to borrow While you get yours sprayed
Old 08-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #15
Banned
Hmmm. Maybe in the future. Thanks for the offer bud.

Edit: My tires are for 16s.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #16
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
Yep that be a prob
Old 08-19-2011, 12:08 PM   #18
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
clean them with urin, thats the best cleaning solvent known to man. try and get tiger urin if you can, that works the best.

once they have been coverd in urin let them sit in the sun for a few hours to "cure".
once cured you get a bucket of this wonderfull stuff called "pasti-dip". it was originaly for dipping tool handles in to make them have more grip. well take the bucket with your favorite color in it and jsut pour it out onto the wheels one at a time. this stuff is so badass that it will self level so dont worry about runs or drips. also dont worry about taping off or using cards, that shit is for noob ricers. plasti dip is so mega-core that any excess will just come off once you start driving.

also if your tires are getting low on tread you can just poor an you have left over onto the treads to add some more rubber to them.
I hope this helps and good luck

EDIT: I am not responsible for any damages to your vehicle resulting from any of the above products listed, this goes to include urine ( any species), plasti dip, fire, hammers, and anything else that you can find in nature or pay for with money.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #19
Failure is the result of letting setbacks stop you
MedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
MedlinAround's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
clean them with urin, thats the best cleaning solvent known to man. try and get tiger urin if you can, that works the best.

once they have been coverd in urin let them sit in the sun for a few hours to "cure".
once cured you get a bucket of this wonderfull stuff called "pasti-dip". it was originaly for dipping tool handles in to make them have more grip. well take the bucket with your favorite color in it and jsut pour it out onto the wheels one at a time. this stuff is so badass that it will self level so dont worry about runs or drips. also dont worry about taping off or using cards, that shit is for noob ricers. plasti dip is so mega-core that any excess will just come off once you start driving.

also if your tires are getting low on tread you can just poor an you have left over onto the treads to add some more rubber to them.
I hope this helps and good luck

EDIT: I am not responsible for any damages to your vehicle resulting from any of the above products listed, this goes to include urine ( any species), plasti dip, fire, hammers, and anything else that you can find in nature or pay for with money.

Couldn't have said it better myself!