LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

steel to alloy swap

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
TheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Seth
TheGloryFades's Tacoma Gallery
steel to alloy swap

I tried searching but couldnt find a definite answer. I have an 09 PreRunner with steel wheels I have an opportunity to pick up trd alloy wheels in 17" size from a 2012 Trd sport dc. I know both trucks use tpms but if we just swapped wheels what is necessary to make the allloy wheels tpms function with my truck? Most post I've found mention swapping the steel tpms to the alloy wheel which we would not be doing
Old 08-22-2011, 05:47 AM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
You would have to take your truck to the dealer and have those particular sensors programmed to your truck.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:51 AM   #3
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGloryFades View Post
swapping the steel tpms to the alloy wheel which we would not be doing
Y knot?
Old 08-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
TheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Awesome thanks for the answers, any idea what reprogramming cost?
Old 08-22-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Can't you just go to tire shop and switch monitors when switching rims? Or is that more expensive than reprogramming?
Old 08-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #6
Law Enforcement:
I dont think the sensors can swap do they? I know steel can go to alloy with a strap kit but can alloy go to steel?
Old 08-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGloryFades View Post
I dont think the sensors can swap do they? I know steel can go to alloy with a strap kit but can alloy go to steel?
Yep, with a strap kit.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #8
Law Enforcement:
May check on that too then, I figured after unmounting, the strap kit, mounting and balancing that the prices would be damn near the same
Old 08-22-2011, 01:35 PM   #9
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Yeah, never messed with that so just asking shit to find out hoping it may help find easier cheaper route. Anything to keep the dealership out of the loop, lol.............
Old 08-22-2011, 01:45 PM   #10
jrider636 is on a distinguished road
Name: justin
jrider636's Tacoma Gallery
personally i wouldnt worry about the sensors. if u get a flat tire, you will know it. or u could always just look at it....
Old 08-22-2011, 02:48 PM   #11
Law Enforcement:
If it wouldnt turn on a light on the dash I wouldn't mind but little things like that bug me
Old 08-22-2011, 02:53 PM   #12
daggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nice
daggertats's Tacoma Gallery
in another post somewhere on here i read it cost like 85 bucks for the sensors to be programed by the dealer.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #13
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggertats View Post
in another post somewhere on here i read it cost like 85 bucks for the sensors to be programed by the dealer.
Yeah I remember reading that too.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:56 PM   #14
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Just get them reprogrammed. Discount Tire did it for me for free after I swapped tires.

The reprogrammer has to be plugged into your OBDII port though, so that it re-writes your ECU for the new sensors...you can't just do a reset, because the ECU will still be looking for the old sensors.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #15
Law Enforcement:
Going to find out what it will cost at discount since we will be swapping and discount really won't be needed for anything else