Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Tire recommendation

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
Covington is on a distinguished road

Covington's Tacoma Gallery
Question Tire recommendation

I'm getting ready to replace the original stock Dunlop AT20 (P245/75-16) on my '08 2wd double cab. Any recommendations? I am considering going to a 70 series.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:02 AM   #3

Thank you.

Keith, Thanks for the info.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Why are you considering a 70 series, do you feel it is underpowered? Are you looking for a fatter tire, taller, taller and fatter?
Old 08-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #5

70 series

I may want something a little wider. When it rains in Florida, we get "Florida ice" on the roads and my Tacoma breaks the rear tires loose on moderate acceleration. Its worse on road markings (cross walks, stop lines, etc.)
Old 08-22-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covington View Post
I may want something a little wider. When it rains in Florida, we get "Florida ice" on the roads and my Tacoma breaks the rear tires loose on moderate acceleration. Its worse on road markings (cross walks, stop lines, etc.)
Wider tires would be worse for this than narrow tires. A wider tire would be more prone to trying to ride on top of the water (hydroplane) than a narrow tire that wants to sink through the sheet of water and set on the pavement. Tread pattern would obviously make a huge difference and the Dunlops really do suck on wet pavement. So far I've been impressed with Cooper tires for wet traction.

Also, going from a 245/75R16 to a 245/70R16 would be the same width, just a shorter tire. That's why I was asking about why you wanted the 70 series.

I hear you on road markings, some of them have glass beads embedded in the epoxy for reflective purposes but they're really slick when they get wet!
Old 08-22-2011, 08:17 AM   #7
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
ditto, those Dunlops sucked ass, I put on Goodyear wrangler mud and snow tires and they grip like crazy