LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

NOOB questions about Nitto Trail Grapplers

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
Claytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud of

Air Force: GREEN LIGHT!
Name: Clayton
Claytor's Tacoma Gallery
NOOB questions about Nitto Trail Grapplers

At the risk of this being a repost of some kind

3" OME lift w/Dakar rear leafs already ordered..I have my eyes on 295/70R17 Nitto Trail Grappler M/Ts

What kind of back spacing and offset issues should i be aware of when selecting wheels to go with? what will reduce the amount of trimming/rubbing?

I like the American Racing Mojave Teflon's. looks like they are 17x8 with 0 offset and i think 4.5 back spacing, will these work? or will i need 17x9s?

your thoughts..
Old 08-22-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytor View Post
At the risk of this being a repost of some kind

3" OME lift w/Dakar rear leafs already ordered..I have my eyes on 295/70R17 Nitto Trail Grappler M/Ts

What kind of back spacing and offset issues should i be aware of when selecting wheels to go with? what will reduce the amount of trimming/rubbing?

I like the American Racing Mojave Teflon's. looks like they are 17x8 with 0 offset and i think 4.5 back spacing, will these work? or will i need 17x9s?

your thoughts..
According to the nitto website, the trail grapplers in 295/70/17 are approved for any rims 7.5-10" in width.

4.5" backspacing will give you the least amount of rub, but with that size being a over 33", you aren't going to have to do a lot of trimming.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
Banned
ruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shedruler is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ruler's Tacoma Gallery
I have the ATX thugs and they have the same specs as the rims you mentioned, I have 295/70/17 Toyo MT's

there is no rubbing except when I go over a really big bump they rub in the back on the bottom of the fender. I still haven't trimmed but I think I will just to be safe. If you still have a stock front bumper then get ready to trim the crap out of it
Old 09-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
Claytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud ofClaytor has much to be proud of

Claytor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
According to the nitto website, the trail grapplers in 295/70/17 are approved for any rims 7.5-10" in width.

4.5" backspacing will give you the least amount of rub, but with that size being a over 33", you aren't going to have to do a lot of trimming.
Mmmm the check the old official website trick well done sir haha

soo i'm on the sticky, in the wheels and tires forum, about back spacing and offset.. and correct me if i'm wrong and i know its a relationship between BS AND offset. But, when it comes to putting bigger tires on a truck would it be safe to say that more BS w/ more Neg offset is....good?

In my mind neg offset would make the tire stick out more from the vehicle, thus reducing rubbing issues in turns

to keep my Q simple, if I stick to wheels with 4.5 BS would it be better to find a set that has maybe 10 -12 Neg offset. Vs 0 offset?
Old 09-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Mmmm the check the old official website trick well done sir haha

soo i'm on the sticky, in the wheels and tires forum, about back spacing and offset.. and correct me if i'm wrong and i know its a relationship between BS AND offset. But, when it comes to putting bigger tires on a truck would it be safe to say that more BS w/ more Neg offset is....good?

In my mind neg offset would make the tire stick out more from the vehicle, thus reducing rubbing issues in turns

to keep my Q simple, if I stick to wheels with 4.5 BS would it be better to find a set that has maybe 10 -12 Neg offset. Vs 0 offset?
Just stick to backspacing. Offset is calculated using backspacing and width.

Less backspacing (sticking out more) isn't always a good thing. If the tires stick out too far, they will rub on the outside edge because of the increased turning arc.

4.5" is ideal for your setup, but you are still going to have to trim a lot to fit those.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:28 PM   #6

Claytor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Fixed
gotcha

Leaning towards getting the relentlessfab front bumper in aluminum...not just for the tire/trim issues. I like the way it looks and its practical use for offroadin...but the looks are what sold me

With this bumper and the 3in OME lift whats the biggest tires I can fit..

This is what I have in mind - 295/70R17 Nitto Trail Grappler M/Ts, which i think would fit. BUTTTTT i'm playing around with going to something like 305/65/17 BFG AT or maybe..mayyyybe a little bigger
Old 09-07-2011, 12:32 AM   #7
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
gotcha

Leaning towards getting the relentlessfab front bumper in aluminum...not just for the tire/trim issues. I like the way it looks and its practical use for offroadin...but the looks are what sold me

With this bumper and the 3in OME lift whats the biggest tires I can fit..

This is what I have in mind - 295/70R17 Nitto Trail Grappler M/Ts, which i think would fit. BUTTTTT i'm playing around with going to something like 305/65/17 BFG AT or maybe..mayyyybe a little bigger
PM OZ-T and ask him about the relentlessfab front bumper in aluminum.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:45 AM   #8
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Fixed
Whoa! I didn't mean to type arent.... Stupid iPad autocorrect... Thanks for setting it straight.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #9

Claytor's Tacoma Gallery
do most guys buy 4 or 5 tires when they increase to a larger tire size?