LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

TPMS Reset

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2008, 07:28 AM   #21
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
This what I learned here.

2005 - no TPMS - lucky son of guns!
2006 - 2008 TPMS on all 5 wheels
2009 - TPMS on 4 wheels none on spare
The sensors are different on the oem alloys & steelies.
The sensors have ids on them

On the 2006, there is a disable mod splicing a fuse into wiring behing the glove compartment. I haven't done it to mine even though I bought the stuff (less than $5) deciding not to mess with the system.

Not sure the mod works for 2007+ but there has been documented macgyvery done by some folks as a work around.

My spare threw a light recently which I lowered, added air, flipped around so future checks would be easier to deal with. It made me wonder if the dealer does this when brought in for service? Also I contemplated if it was good for the tire to have the sensor facing down but figured the other sensors are exposed it would be ok.

Thats what I've learned here.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:30 PM   #22
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Quote:
Originally Posted by al's toyota View Post
I realize that there are laws that have been imposed once there has been an "improvement and safety" featured added to a vehicle but there should be a reasonable way to deactivate the system similar to airbag deactivation.
Agreed, this government "holding your hand" crap is getting old. If you're too retarded to realize you have a low tire and don't regularly check them, you shouldn't be on the road anyway. Come to think of it, about 90% of american's shouldn't have a license to start with.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:26 PM   #23
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
Agreed, this government "holding your hand" crap is getting old. If you're too retarded to realize you have a low tire and don't regularly check them, you shouldn't be on the road anyway. Come to think of it, about 90% of american's shouldn't have a license to start with.
X2! NOW, How o you feel about the Vehicle Data Recorder in your vehicle.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:28 PM   #24
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
I wish I could disable the damn data recording too. Tch... I'm usually speeding so it'd go against me even if I did get in a wreck, 98% chance it wouldn't have been my fault even if I *was* doing 10 over (zomg not 75 on a 65mph road better maintained than the 75mph highway!!!)
Old 11-05-2008, 04:52 AM   #25
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
My TPMS let me know when I had a nail in my tire a couple of months ago....I'm not lazy or retarded and take responsibility for my own actions.I regularily check my tire pressures but not EVERY day.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:19 AM   #26
Hey guys watch THIS!
fasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to beholdfasn8dave is a splendid one to behold

fasn8dave's Tacoma Gallery
When I got my wheels / tires the off road shop did not transfer the TPMS valve stems - so after a day or so my light was blinking.

I took the stock wheels / tires back the the shop, and they installed the valve stems onto my new wheels, but the TPMS light would not stop blinking, even after hitting that reset button.

The dealer told me that it would be $100 just to take the tires off and inspect the valve stems... so I said "F" it and I'll let it blink.

That wend on for a while...

I took it in for an oil change and tire rotation and when I picked it up - no light.

I asked about it and they told me that they just reset it while they were rotating the tires...

W..T...F...? They were going to take my tires off and do an inspection when they could have just done a reset?

Grrr.....
Old 11-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #27
jtaco is on a distinguished road
jtaco's Tacoma Gallery
how did they do the reset?i cannot find out how to reset anywhere in the manual.
and if it calculates/detects from where it is when u set it, then just deflate all tires too really really low, then set it from the button. that way it will more then likely never go off again unless u like basically get a flat or get so low to where it was when u deflated it and set it . rt?
Old 11-08-2008, 07:36 PM   #28
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaco View Post
how did they do the reset?i cannot find out how to reset anywhere in the manual.
and if it calculates/detects from where it is when u set it, then just deflate all tires too really really low, then set it from the button. that way it will more then likely never go off again unless u like basically get a flat or get so low to where it was when u deflated it and set it . rt?
Squad posted a pic of the reset button, post number 15. Push and hold it and it will reset. Also, the TPMS monitors if the tires are over inflated, so setting it really low would still trigger the light when you aired up.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:02 AM   #29
jtaco's Tacoma Gallery
sorry i got confused i was meaning the reset for dash lights, which i figured out,seems like easiest solution for this though is nitrogen in the tires, which i use anyways, yea ok , well if we change tires then do we load air pressure psi on the tire or on the label on inside of door panal?
Old 11-09-2008, 11:46 AM   #30

Quote:
sorry i got confused i was meaning the reset for dash lights, which i figured out,seems like easiest solution for this though is nitrogen in the tires, which i use anyways, yea ok , well if we change tires then do we load air pressure psi on the tire or on the label on inside of door panal?
Good place to start would eb the door pannel, then adjust from there. ALSO, the air we breath is 78% nitrogen. Do you REALLY think you are getting any benafit from 24% more?
Old 11-09-2008, 12:02 PM   #31
RoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
my magnum had them as well...only you could monitor the actual pressure in each tire. that was a nifty feature for road racing- i could air down the tires that ran too cool or vice versa. my vette had them as well, but i didnt put them back in when changing wheels.

i think its a good feature personally....although i wish i could monitor each tire individually like the magnum.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:16 PM   #32
jtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Good place to start would eb the door pannel, then adjust from there. ALSO, the air we breath is 78% nitrogen. Do you REALLY think you are getting any benafit from 24% more?
what do u mean adjust from there? adjust to what ? which is correct, the psi on tire or on the door panal?
well supposedly all nitrogen is less moisture so longer tire life and does not leak like air, i know this cause i used to have to check my tires like once a month now its like once a year.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #33

Quote:
what do u mean adjust from there? adjust to what ? which is correct, the psi on tire or on the door panal?
well supposedly all nitrogen is less moisture so longer tire life and does not leak like air, i know this cause i used to have to check my tires like once a month now its like once a year.
Propper tire pressure is going to vary from one vehicle to the other depemding on the weight of the truck, and to a small degree, the ambient air temp. You want your tires to have an even contact patch with the road, so, by starting at the psi on the door, adjust the psi until you have a propper contact patch of tire touching the road. Put a line of chalk from edge to edge on the tire, and drive 50 to 100 feet. You want all of the line erased except for the last 1/8" along the edges for best contact patch and wear.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:19 AM   #34
lakeside is on a distinguished road
Army:
lakeside's Tacoma Gallery
Although I agree TPMS is a good system there is a major irritant for folks like me who live in places where we need snow tires. I recently bough four rims and four snow tires, Well that set me back over $900. Then I'm asked to install four TPMS on the four rims (@$70 or so each) and another $40 for the dealer to reprogram the TPMS so it can recognize the four new tires. I'd then have to pay the dealer another $40 in the spring to reprogram the system to the summer tires.

Why couldn't Toyota allow the system to recognize a total of eight TPMS sensor instead of just the four or five??

I just bough an aftermarket TPMS kit for $45 (on special) at Canadian Tire. It's isn't as neat as the OEM but is a lot cheaper and less of a pain than going through the dance with my dealer every six months. Here's the link to the aftermarket TPMS.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true
Old 11-13-2008, 07:10 AM   #35
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
the air we breath is 78% nitrogen. Do you REALLY think you are getting any benafit from 24% more?
Math FAIL.

(Sorry Chris... I had to do it. Made me laugh.)
Old 11-13-2008, 03:03 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws4ua View Post
Math FAIL.

(Sorry Chris... I had to do it. Made me laugh.)
LMAO!!!
And to think I took accounting in College.

I blame my speeling and poor math skills on BUSH!
Old 11-13-2008, 10:43 PM   #37
jtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
Although I agree TPMS is a good system there is a major irritant for folks like me who live in places where we need snow tires. I recently bough four rims and four snow tires, Well that set me back over $900. Then I'm asked to install four TPMS on the four rims (@$70 or so each) and another $40 for the dealer to reprogram the TPMS so it can recognize the four new tires. I'd then have to pay the dealer another $40 in the spring to reprogram the system to the summer tires.

Why couldn't Toyota allow the system to recognize a total of eight TPMS sensor instead of just the four or five??

I just bough an aftermarket TPMS kit for $45 (on special) at Canadian Tire. It's isn't as neat as the OEM but is a lot cheaper and less of a pain than going through the dance with my dealer every six months. Here's the link to the aftermarket TPMS.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true
i enter my zip and it keeps tellin me this,
The postal code entered has an invalid format. An example of the correct format would be: M4P 1V8.
so i entered that one, and i found it but how does that repace the toyota one and how does that keep the light from goin off?

Old 01-07-2009, 02:39 PM   #38
Mustache May
MacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of light

MacTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone have any information on disabling the spare tire sensor?

There's no reason for me to carry a smaller sized spare anymore, and I just really don't want to pay the stealership $150 to take 10 minutes and reprogram it.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:27 PM   #40
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTaco View Post
Does anyone have any information on disabling the spare tire sensor?

There's no reason for me to carry a smaller sized spare anymore, and I just really don't want to pay the stealership $150 to take 10 minutes and reprogram it.
some people have put the sensor inside a sealed PVC tube with a valve to inflate.....