Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

TPMS Reset

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #41
Desert Riding Ninja
A.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Graphics Artist
A.D.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by al's toyota View Post
If anyone views this and has come up with the fix to disable the TPMS without tearing into vehicle let US know. I can't see what is so hard about checking air in your tires and being responsible for your own actions. If you can't do that you should be taking the bus or walking!
This is what I did(but don't tell toyota!!), while driving push and hold the sensor for 10 seconds. The very next time i turned the truck on the sensor light was gone, and since then i have tested the sensor at the gas station by deflating a tire enough to ride on around the parking lot without F'n it up, and the light did not come back on, then i refilled the tire and it has not come back on since then.

Now i know alot of you are going to want to start flaming instantly, but i check the tires often enough myself, and do not really care if my damn spare gets a lil low!! I live in the desert where last week the temp was 30 degrees out and this week it has been 70 everyday, so my pressure changes often. I hate the light, and think it is a good option for those men and women out there who do not know they should check their tire pressure often.

Maybe i should have had them replace the valve stem with a plastic one on the spare, or filled the tire with nitrogen so that it would not expand and contract so much, but i went this way instead. And my boy at the local toyota shop says they can reset it easily for me if i want, actually he was the one who told me to hold it while driving(not telling what dealer he works at though).

edit: i do not suggest anyone do this, it may or may not be a good thing, but i have had no problems.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #42
Mustache May
MacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of light

MacTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm. I haven't really scavenged around back there enough to know what the sensor looks like, but I will have to check that out, and see if I can build it.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:29 PM   #43
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.D. View Post
This is what I did(but don't tell toyota!!), while driving push and hold the sensor for 10 seconds. The very next time i turned the truck on the sensor light was gone, and since then i have tested the sensor at the gas station by deflating a tire enough to ride on around the parking lot without F'n it up, and the light did not come back on, then i refilled the tire and it has not come back on since then.

Now i know alot of you are going to want to start flaming instantly, but i check the tires often enough myself, and do not really care if my damn spare gets a lil low!! I live in the desert where last week the temp was 30 degrees out and this week it has been 70 everyday, so my pressure changes often. I hate the light, and think it is a good option for those men and women out there who do not know they should check their tire pressure often.

Maybe i should have had them replace the valve stem with a plastic one on the spare, or filled the tire with nitrogen so that it would not expand and contract so much, but i went this way instead. And my boy at the local toyota shop says they can reset it easily for me if i want, actually he was the one who told me to hold it while driving(not telling what dealer he works at though).

edit: i do not suggest anyone do this, it may or may not be a good thing, but i have had no problems.
Someone else should give this a try. I think this may be the "fix" people have been looking for.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:12 PM   #44
THE RED DRAGON!!
TexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
TexasIslandBoy's Tacoma Gallery
im going to try it right now i hate my light i mean HATE
Old 06-11-2009, 05:25 PM   #45
THE RED DRAGON!!
TexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
TexasIslandBoy's Tacoma Gallery
nope didnt work for me someone find out how its killin me
Old 06-13-2010, 10:50 AM   #46
Sua Sponte! RLTW
75thrangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed75thrangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed75thrangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed75thrangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed75thrangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed75thrangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed75thrangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed75thrangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed75thrangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed75thrangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed75thrangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 101st airborne
Name: charles
75thrangertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
X2! NOW, How o you feel about the Vehicle Data Recorder in your vehicle.

my 08 has a data recorder? if so im selling it
Old 06-13-2010, 04:13 PM   #47
jtaco is on a distinguished road
jtaco's Tacoma Gallery
heres an idea, drive around till u find another tacoma,pull next to it, and press ur tpms button to reset it or get light to go off.it will read the sensors in other truck and should turn ur light off for a while, if u dont have sensors in ur tires. i had my truck in dealership when i didnt have sensors somehow i got light to go off, when i got it back the light was on and i got all the mechanics from back and none of them could get it to go back off , they had no clue what to do.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #48
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thrangertaco View Post
Yep.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #49
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.D. View Post

The bold part is the only thing I take issue with. I do more than the average maintenance on my cars and pay close attention to my tire pressure/wear. However, the day that I drove over a sheetrock blade on the interstate it saved my ass from a catastrophic blow out.

I'd be interested to see if this really works or if it's some sort of oddity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thrangertaco View Post
Better start buying old cars...estimated that like 85% of cars today have them...
Old 06-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #50
Redsoxnation is on a distinguished road

Redsoxnation's Tacoma Gallery
no reset button

I have a 2006 TRD Access Cab 4x4... I do not have a reset button as pictured in this topic.. Look all over none to be found... This Fall I'm putting on new tires at my hobby shop my self.. so when I remove the wheels roll them over to the tire rack.. deflate, remove, retire,inflate,balance and roll back over truck mount will the TPMS light up? if so... I assume Ii have to back to my dealer to have it reset correct? Thanks for any info on this confusing topic..
Old 06-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxnation View Post
I have a 2006 TRD Access Cab 4x4... I do not have a reset button as pictured in this topic.. Look all over none to be found... This Fall I'm putting on new tires at my hobby shop my self.. so when I remove the wheels roll them over to the tire rack.. deflate, remove, retire,inflate,balance and roll back over truck mount will the TPMS light up? if so... I assume Ii have to back to my dealer to have it reset correct? Thanks for any info on this confusing topic..
You may not have the TPS on your truck. IIRC, it was an option on the '06's
Old 06-27-2010, 11:09 AM   #52
tonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of light
Air Force: Intel - Retired
tonto340's Tacoma Gallery
There is a device called Quickset made by ATEQ that a person can use to reset the TPMS light. I ordered mine with new tires, sensors and wheels from tirerack.com. You plug the device into your computer via USB, pick your vehicle, go to vehicle, turn key on and read current sensors ID's. Go back to computer and designate whether these sensors are Winter or Summer. Then enter new sensor ID's (mine were provided by Tire Rack), go back to vehicle and new sensor IDs will be programmed to the ECU. The Quickset is capable of managing winter and summer sensor IDs for four vehicles
Old 06-29-2010, 06:16 AM   #53
Redsoxnation is on a distinguished road

Redsoxnation's Tacoma Gallery
checked

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
You may not have the TPS on your truck. IIRC, it was an option on the '06's

I doubled checked I have TPMS ( Toyota Painintheass Maint. Syndrome)

I do have valves... Guess I'll deal with it the Fall when I re tread..
Old 06-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #54
freeskier865 is on a distinguished road
Name: travis bowdle
freeskier865's Tacoma Gallery
Do u need to have 5 tpms for the light to go off i have 4 new ones cause of new wheels and a local shop said my spare was bad and the could not reprogram my new tpms to the truck it there a way to bypass the spare
Old 10-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #55
Brandoaz is on a distinguished road
Brandoaz's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 07 Tacoma with the TPMS that is on and wont reset using the reset button, it just flashes and then goes back to being solid.
BUT, in reading this thread i see people suggest i check the spare.
MY spare is on the truck, the wheel/tire that was on the truck in the bed of the truck with a shredded tire on it after a blow out.
In just a bit i will take the shredded unit out of the truck, will it reset then?
EDit:
No it will not.
Spare is in garage, tried to reset indicator, it starts to flash and continues and then goes solid again.
Is this BECAUSE there is no spare?
How does this system sense the low pressure and where are the sensors?
Old 10-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #56
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandoaz View Post
I have an 07 Tacoma with the TPMS that is on and wont reset using the reset button, it just flashes and then goes back to being solid.
BUT, in reading this thread i see people suggest i check the spare.
MY spare is on the truck, the wheel/tire that was on the truck in the bed of the truck with a shredded tire on it after a blow out.
In just a bit i will take the shredded unit out of the truck, will it reset then?
EDit:
No it will not.
Spare is in garage, tried to reset indicator, it starts to flash and continues and then goes solid again.
Is this BECAUSE there is no spare?
How does this system sense the low pressure and where are the sensors?
You have a issue with a sensor. More than likely the sensor in the shredded tire
Is damaged.
Flashing tpms light means a problem.
There is no need to play with your tpms sensor reset. All you do is change the threshold pressure.

Get the tpms ecu read and make sure it's only a dead sensor.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #57
Brandoaz is on a distinguished road
Brandoaz's Tacoma Gallery
Long story short, i kind of inherited/repossessed /assumed ownership of this truck form my brother in law...long story he is incarcerated now.
This thing has had loads of problems, he beat the crap out of it..sad.

Anyway..the blown wheel/spare does not have the metal stem that the other wheels that are on the truck do have.
ok, so it makes no difference that the spare is 100 feet from the vehicle?
does it "look" for 5 sensor reading so to speak and if it doesnt see one stays lit or flashes?
Whats odd is i dont recall this light being on prior to the blow out...perhaps im wrong, could have been on the list of crap i need to look at, i wasnt driving it much, but now i am and noticing things
Old 10-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #58
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandoaz View Post
Long story short, i kind of inherited/repossessed /assumed ownership of this truck form my brother in law...long story he is incarcerated now.
This thing has had loads of problems, he beat the crap out of it..sad.

Anyway..the blown wheel/spare does not have the metal stem that the other wheels that are on the truck do have.
ok, so it makes no difference that the spare is 100 feet from the vehicle?
does it "look" for 5 sensor reading so to speak and if it doesnt see one stays lit or flashes?
Whats odd is i dont recall this light being on prior to the blow out...perhaps im wrong, could have been on the list of crap i need to look at, i wasnt driving it much, but now i am and noticing things
U have a 5 sensor system.
Looks for 5
See's anything less it flashes. Then stays on steady
Old 10-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #59
The Stig is a name known to allThe Stig is a name known to allThe Stig is a name known to allThe Stig is a name known to allThe Stig is a name known to allThe Stig is a name known to all

The Stig's Tacoma Gallery
My truck came with TPMS sensors in the original wheels but now that I changed the wheels, the light has only come on once and was gone next time I started the truck. I'm not sure what the deal with that is but I'm ok with it.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #60
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Your '07 has 5 (and needs 5 valid transmitters at proper pressure)
'09 or '10, they eliminated the spare sensor.

But if the rims have ever been swapped, the new sensors may not be programmed into the ECU. They not only have to be there, the computer has to recognize the electronic serial number.

Also, since the truck is older, the batteries in the sensors may be dead. They are lithium button cell batteries and life is anywhere from 5-8 years.

Go to a tire shop and ask them to check your TPMS programming. Discount/America's will do it for free.