Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

TPMS Reset

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-26-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
WestTexasTacoma is on a distinguished road
WestTexasTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Question TPMS Reset

I have a question. My TPMS light went off so i checked my tires and one of them was low. I filled the tires with air, two days have gone by and the TPMS light is still on. Is my TPMS system going haywire or what? Any answers will help tremedously thanks!!!!
Old 10-26-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Did you check your spare tire?
Old 10-26-2008, 08:17 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Did you check your spare tire?
yep....gotta check the spare too...it has a sensor also.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:57 PM   #5
WestTexasTacoma is on a distinguished road
WestTexasTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Well i checked the tires and one was a little low. I didnt realize that the spare tire had a sensor also. Thats probably gonna be the culprit. Thanks for the 411!!!
Old 10-26-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
You'll have to take the spare down to check it. I turned mine around so the valve faces down and now I can top it off much easier.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:23 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Mine went off about a week ago...... My spare tire was down to 22psi.

I find it kinda weird that the recommended psi in these tires (stock) is 29psi and the sensor comes on with only a 7psi loss in pressure?

Does anyone know what pressure these things (sensors) are 'learned' from at the factory? What's the TPMS spec supposed to be that they come on at?

I guess that's a good thing they come on earlier (less loss in pressure).
Old 10-27-2008, 04:51 AM   #8
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
You'll have to take the spare down to check it. I turned mine around so the valve faces down and now I can top it off much easier.
I'm gonna do that today, thanks for the tip, my light is on as well!
Old 10-30-2008, 06:38 AM   #9
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
I love this forum... so easy to find great answers!

I have the same problem, except all of my tires are w/in 1 PSI of recommended. I was going to ask if the cold weather could do it b/c the light came on the first 'cold' morning of the season.

Completely forgot about the spare. Will check it tonight.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #10
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
I checked my spare and it's low (24psi). I took the spare completely off the truck during the process. How does the truck monitor the tire pressure in the spare? It was only held on by that metal cord thing. Nothing that I saw was connecting the tire to the truck.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:24 PM   #12
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
That is what i thought: oh my spare must be low.......

truth is there was no spare anymore.....
Old 11-01-2008, 12:36 PM   #13
Taco on 20's
joshryn09 will become famous soon enough
joshryn09's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to joshryn09
my stupid light went off twice in two weeks! spare had a leak! dealer replaced under warranty
Old 11-01-2008, 01:27 PM   #14
Stock Taco For Now
311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
311offroad's Tacoma Gallery
How do you know that you have TPMS (without airing a tire down and waiting for the light) does it only come on certain packages or years?
Old 11-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #15
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery

I'm not sure if it was only available on certain models but when you turn your ignition to the second posistion,all of the idiot lights self test.The TPMS icon is located just below and left of your odometer.To use my wifes description,it looks like a "fluted vase with an exclamation mark inside".

Another indicator is the sensors are incorporated in your valve stems as others have said....Finally,check out this pic lifted from another thread.It's the TPMS button and it's located under your steering wheel.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:29 PM   #16
Taco on 20's
joshryn09 will become famous soon enough
joshryn09's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to joshryn09
if you have metal valve stems on ur tires, then you have a TPMS in your spare and all 4 tires! thats what my dealer told me

plus if you have the reset button!
Old 11-03-2008, 03:21 PM   #17
al's toyota is on a distinguished road
Navy: SeaBee MCB4
al's toyota's Tacoma Gallery
If anyone views this and has come up with the fix to disable the TPMS without tearing into vehicle let US know. I can't see what is so hard about checking air in your tires and being responsible for your own actions. If you can't do that you should be taking the bus or walking!
Old 11-04-2008, 12:47 AM   #18
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
This is what I found.
The TPMS mandated by the US law must warn the driver when a tire is under-inflated by as much as 25% {Ref: US DOT NHTSA Docket No 2005-20586}.
TPMS should be set at the lowest cold inflation pressure recommended by the manufacturer.

So if set by factory specs at 29 psi, it will signal when a tire gets to 22 psi.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:11 AM   #19
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Mine went off about a week ago...... My spare tire was down to 22psi.

I find it kinda weird that the recommended psi in these tires (stock) is 29psi and the sensor comes on with only a 7psi loss in pressure?

Does anyone know what pressure these things (sensors) are 'learned' from at the factory? What's the TPMS spec supposed to be that they come on at?

I guess that's a good thing they come on earlier (less loss in pressure).

When you set the system (holding the SET button) it takes whatever the current pressure reading are as the new normal. It seems that my light goes off whenever they are more that 5 psi out of range.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:24 AM   #20
al's toyota is on a distinguished road
Navy: SeaBee MCB4
al's toyota's Tacoma Gallery
I realize that there are laws that have been imposed once there has been an "improvement and safety" featured added to a vehicle but there should be a reasonable way to deactivate the system similar to airbag deactivation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxySandChick View Post
This is what I found.
The TPMS mandated by the US law must warn the driver when a tire is under-inflated by as much as 25% {Ref: US DOT NHTSA Docket No 2005-20586}.
TPMS should be set at the lowest cold inflation pressure recommended by the manufacturer.

So if set by factory specs at 29 psi, it will signal when a tire gets to 22 psi.