1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Upgrading Rim and Tires

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Toycan, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Aug 24, 2011 at 8:12 AM
    Toycan

Toycan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD S DC Grey
    trifecta tonneau, bed mat, husky liners, TRD shift knob, Kenwood NAV DVD Dbl Din syst, TRD wheel centre caps, aux backup lights
    Been searching strings for a few days but basically I'd like to see if I can change my tires and rims without affecting speedo, ABS etc.

A couple of inch lift would be the max, as long above items aren't adversley affected. What does a 2" lift do to ride quality, road noise, handling etc?

I have a 2011 TRD Sport and think the specs on the wheels etc are "TRD Sport Alloy Wheels: 17x7.5, +30 mm offset, 5.5" backspacing, 6x5.5" bolt pattern, 108 mm hub bore" which I got off another string.

I'm looking to get maybe a slightly wider stance, better personalized looks, but need real world driving, I'm 90% pavement and a lot of highway, so rock climbing, dune bashing or full on mudding is not on the meal plan.....tons of snow bombing though, I still love going out in the middle of the night in a huge storm and do 4 wheel drifting when no one is around....childish I know :)

Thanks for any input

2. Aug 24, 2011 at 9:05 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    A lift wouldn't affect any of the electronics, changing tire size might. I don't have the electronic systems in my '07 that you do in your '11 so I'm not going to comment on them. As far as a lift that would keep you under 2", there are several options depending on your price range.
    Option 1 - 5100 series struts set at .85 or 1.75 for the front and re-use your stock coils and get an AAL for the rear.
    Option 2 - 5100 series struts set at 0 and get new lift coils either from eibach or OME and an AAL for the rear.
    Option 3 - Go high end and get a pre-assembled adjustable coil over for the front and either an AAL or brand new leaf pack for the rear.

They're listed in least expensive to most expensive and also by ride quality and capability. If you're not off roading, no real sense in getting a high end coil/shock set-up. Option 2 would give you a nice ride on the road and would still be capable off road if you're ever so inclined. Option 1 works, is cheap and still rides decent.

Pick your poison :D

3. Aug 24, 2011 at 9:14 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    this^^

and if i have read correctly, stock your spedo is actually off, and with a 32 inch tire it makes it just about right. if you go with a 32inch all terrain tire you should be fine with everything, as long as you provide a lift like stated above

4. Aug 25, 2011 at 10:29 AM
    Toycan

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD S DC Grey
    trifecta tonneau, bed mat, husky liners, TRD shift knob, Kenwood NAV DVD Dbl Din syst, TRD wheel centre caps, aux backup lights
    thanks for the valuable input and ideas........certainly all new language to me though, is there a website that brings some of this together, like what the heck is AAL and if ive got P265 tires is that 26.5" vs suggested 32"? wont that affect the speedo ABS etc? sorry stunned questions im sure

thx again and happy thursday

5. Aug 25, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    okboatie1

okboatie1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Chula Vista, CA.
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner TRD SR5 DCSB
    OME 881's w/Dakar's, Deckplate mod, Debadged, door chime mod, 12V outlets always on,
    Your on it!:D

AAL = Add-A-Leaf http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/glossary.php
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/11282-tacoma-lift-faq-guide-read.html

Not quite...the 265 refers to tire width...
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/23715-how-understand-metric-tire-sizes.html

GOOD LUCK!!!

6. Aug 25, 2011 at 2:04 PM
    Toycan

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD S DC Grey
    DOH! :anonymous:

Thanks for that!

Products Discussed in

To Top