Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Upgrading Rim and Tires

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-24-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
Toycan is on a distinguished road

Toycan's Tacoma Gallery
Upgrading Rim and Tires

Been searching strings for a few days but basically I'd like to see if I can change my tires and rims without affecting speedo, ABS etc.

A couple of inch lift would be the max, as long above items aren't adversley affected. What does a 2" lift do to ride quality, road noise, handling etc?

I have a 2011 TRD Sport and think the specs on the wheels etc are "TRD Sport Alloy Wheels: 17x7.5, +30 mm offset, 5.5" backspacing, 6x5.5" bolt pattern, 108 mm hub bore" which I got off another string.

I'm looking to get maybe a slightly wider stance, better personalized looks, but need real world driving, I'm 90% pavement and a lot of highway, so rock climbing, dune bashing or full on mudding is not on the meal plan.....tons of snow bombing though, I still love going out in the middle of the night in a huge storm and do 4 wheel drifting when no one is around....childish I know :-)

Thanks for any input
Old 08-24-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
A lift wouldn't affect any of the electronics, changing tire size might. I don't have the electronic systems in my '07 that you do in your '11 so I'm not going to comment on them. As far as a lift that would keep you under 2", there are several options depending on your price range.
Option 1 - 5100 series struts set at .85 or 1.75 for the front and re-use your stock coils and get an AAL for the rear.
Option 2 - 5100 series struts set at 0 and get new lift coils either from eibach or OME and an AAL for the rear.
Option 3 - Go high end and get a pre-assembled adjustable coil over for the front and either an AAL or brand new leaf pack for the rear.

They're listed in least expensive to most expensive and also by ride quality and capability. If you're not off roading, no real sense in getting a high end coil/shock set-up. Option 2 would give you a nice ride on the road and would still be capable off road if you're ever so inclined. Option 1 works, is cheap and still rides decent.

Pick your poison
Old 08-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
A lift wouldn't affect any of the electronics, changing tire size might. I don't have the electronic systems in my '07 that you do in your '11 so I'm not going to comment on them. As far as a lift that would keep you under 2", there are several options depending on your price range.
Option 1 - 5100 series struts set at .85 or 1.75 for the front and re-use your stock coils and get an AAL for the rear.
Option 2 - 5100 series struts set at 0 and get new lift coils either from eibach or OME and an AAL for the rear.
Option 3 - Go high end and get a pre-assembled adjustable coil over for the front and either an AAL or brand new leaf pack for the rear.

They're listed in least expensive to most expensive and also by ride quality and capability. If you're not off roading, no real sense in getting a high end coil/shock set-up. Option 2 would give you a nice ride on the road and would still be capable off road if you're ever so inclined. Option 1 works, is cheap and still rides decent.

Pick your poison
this^^

and if i have read correctly, stock your spedo is actually off, and with a 32 inch tire it makes it just about right. if you go with a 32inch all terrain tire you should be fine with everything, as long as you provide a lift like stated above
Old 08-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #4

Toycan's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the valuable input and ideas........certainly all new language to me though, is there a website that brings some of this together, like what the heck is AAL and if ive got P265 tires is that 26.5" vs suggested 32"? wont that affect the speedo ABS etc? sorry stunned questions im sure

thx again and happy thursday
Old 08-25-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
okboatie1 is a jewel in the roughokboatie1 is a jewel in the roughokboatie1 is a jewel in the rough

Navy:
Name: Darrell
okboatie1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toycan View Post
...is there a website that brings some of this together..."
Your on it!

Quote:
...like what the heck is AAL..."
AAL = Add-A-Leaf http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/glossary.php
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...uide-read.html

Quote:
...if ive got P265 tires is that 26.5" vs suggested 32"?...
Not quite...the 265 refers to tire width...
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...ire-sizes.html

GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 08-25-2011, 02:04 PM   #6

Toycan's Tacoma Gallery
DOH!

Thanks for that!