1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alternate aplications for the TPMS

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by maverick491, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Jun 9, 2007 at 4:59 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 [OP] Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    I posted this question at the end of another TPMS thread over on the wheel and tire board, but figured I'd try my luck over here since this board seems to get a little more traffic and since my question isn't really relevant to the original thread.

I am curious if anyone knows what the range of the TPMS transmitters are, and if the system in the truck is capable of tracking 8 sensors instead of just the five?

Here's the reasoning.

I pull a travel trailer and would like to have a monitor in each tire on the trailer without having to buy a stand alone system and having to sintall some other kind of monitor in the cab. The trailer axle is roughly 17 feet behind the rear axle of the truck. and then the spare on the trailer is about 10 feet beyond that.

I guess, if the spare was too far away I could do without that. Then also would the truck light up at me when I was running without the trailer? That would of-course only matter if the system in the truck can monitor additional sensors, and they would still be in range?

While I'm asking questions, what is the expected life of the batteries in the sensors, and are they user replacable, or is that one of those things that I would get raped by the dealer for?

Thanks for any input

Adam

2. Jan 2, 2008 at 3:35 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Another old thread... lol I'm bored and browsing the backlog. :laugh:

I don't know if the TPMS can support more than 5. I have heard, however, that it's very expensive to replace sensors and requires a trip to the dealer to install and program them.

The TPMS light would come on if you were away from the sensor. Maybe a day or so? I know one person put them all in a tire or other pressurized container and left it in his garage. Parking next to it at night was enough to reset the light, but it would come back on during the day. That was with all the factory sensors off the truck, so I'm not sure if you had 4 on the truck and 4 off if it would be the same thing.

3. Jan 2, 2008 at 5:09 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    I am under the impression that's it's 5, 'cause I asked if I could do the winters and summers at the same time and he said no can do. Also my price in the city is $114.00 each sensor, so I live with the light.

Products Discussed in

To Top