Notices

After market wheels for TRD Package

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-24-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
MR. GRUMPY is on a distinguished road
Name: MARK
MR. GRUMPY's Tacoma Gallery
After market wheels for TRD Package

Just got my 05 Tacoma Prerunner TRD OFF ROAD SR5 bout a month ago. Went to 4x4 shop here in Phoenix because I wanted to change my wheels to these really sharp PRO COMP Series 1069 wheels, I was told that you can not put after market wheels on a Tacoma with the TRD Package because with the TRD package the break drums are larger and will rub, talked to another tire shop and they said the same thing. You can only put after market 17'' wheels on with the 3'' lift, did not want to lift my truck after all the research shows that you will end up with some type of vibration. really po'd about not getting these new rims. Just vent'n.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. GRUMPY View Post
Just got my 05 Tacoma Prerunner TRD OFF ROAD SR5 bout a month ago. Went to 4x4 shop here in Phoenix because I wanted to change my wheels to these really sharp PRO COMP Series 1069 wheels, I was told that you can not put after market wheels on a Tacoma with the TRD Package because with the TRD package the break drums are larger and will rub, talked to another tire shop and they said the same thing. You can only put after market 17'' wheels on with the 3'' lift, did not want to lift my truck after all the research shows that you will end up with some type of vibration. really po'd about not getting these new rims. Just vent'n.
sounds like 4wheelparts.....

do not go back there as a lift would have nothing to do w/ making the front calipers smaller. my sport came w/ 17" and i'm running 16" w/o changing anything to the brakes...as many others are doing. most all 17" are good as long as you get the right backspacing. some 16" will rub the calipers, but they are hit and miss.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
4 Wheel Parts it was

Yeah it was 4 Wheel Parts, so I JUST TALKED TO MY BUDDY WHO HAS 17'' ON HIS TRD SPORT PACKAGE, So go figure. I think I will talk to another shop and see what I need for the backspacing, I think the 4'' will be the best bet even though it will push the tire out a little it will keep it from hitting the control arms. we'll see
Old 08-24-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Yeah it was 4 Wheel Parts, so I JUST TALKED TO MY BUDDY WHO HAS 17'' ON HIS TRD SPORT PACKAGE, So go figure. I think I will talk to another shop and see what I need for the backspacing, I think the 4'' will be the best bet even though it will push the tire out a little it will keep it from hitting the control arms. we'll see
if you are going to run 285's or below, 4.5"BS would be ideal.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
TRD WHEELS

Thanks for the input Jamie, I'm check out this other 4 wheel place in Phoenix and see what they say.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the input Jamie, I'm check out this other 4 wheel place in Phoenix and see what they say.
np, if you know exactly what you want, then 4wp usually has good prices. their knowledge and customer service both blow.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
The glass is half full my friend, just gotta find the right key for the right dam hole.