Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

What psi should i run

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #1
Madams is a splendid one to beholdMadams is a splendid one to beholdMadams is a splendid one to beholdMadams is a splendid one to beholdMadams is a splendid one to beholdMadams is a splendid one to beholdMadams is a splendid one to beholdMadams is a splendid one to behold
Madams's Tacoma Gallery
What psi should i run

What Psi should run in 33x12.50 duratracs mounted on 15x8 rims. On the outside of the tire has go a line about 1/4 or 1/2 an inch, where part of it dont touch the ground.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Do the chaulk test
Old 08-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
i would run about 32psi.

whats currently in them?
Old 08-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #4
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
What is the max recommended PSI on the sidewalls of your tires?
Old 08-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
What is the max recommended PSI on the sidewalls of your tires?

they are probably 50.

but that doesnt matter, OP dont run over 38.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #6
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
they are probably 50.

but that doesnt matter, OP dont run over 38.
Right I was going to suggest that because OP's truck is not that heavy. If max is 35, run 30-32psi. If max is 44, run 35-38psi and so on. Don't forget you need to put enough air in them to fully construct the tire.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The only way to accurately determine the correct PSI is to use the chalk method.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #8
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Right I was going to suggest that because OP's truck is not that heavy. If max is 35, run 30-32psi. If max is 44, run 35-38psi and so on. Don't forget you need to put enough air in them to fully construct the tire.
Max pressure for any given tire has nothing to do with what you should be running in them. Max pressure for an E rated tire is probably triple what you would need in a Tacoma (some members are running E rated tires).

Do the chaulk test, it's the best way to determine if you have the correct amount of pressure in your tires.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:39 AM   #9
Madams is a splendid one to beholdMadams is a splendid one to beholdMadams is a splendid one to beholdMadams is a splendid one to beholdMadams is a splendid one to beholdMadams is a splendid one to beholdMadams is a splendid one to beholdMadams is a splendid one to behold
Madams's Tacoma Gallery
how do you do the chalk test.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:39 AM   #10
Banned
chalk test is ultimatly the best way to find out what PSI you should be running. but if your like me.. im too dam lazy. lol
Old 08-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #11
Madams's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
chalk test is ultimatly the best way to find out what PSI you should be running. but if your like me.. im too dam lazy. lol
Im asking how do you do the test? Never heard of it before
Old 08-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #12
Madams's Tacoma Gallery
OK just looked on side wall and the recommended psi was 35. Hadnt checked it with the pressure gauge cause I had one then one day i was using it, it broke on me. Going to go over to my buds house and check it over there.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:49 AM   #13
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Well google is your friend.

Ok get chalk and make a line across the tire. Make sure you can see it. I also marked a bit of the sidewall. Then drive on a flat, clean street. All you need is a few tire rotations then check the line. If the center part of the line is worn or missing you have too much air. If the sides are worn you don't have enough air. Repeat as many times to get an even wear pattern.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:52 AM   #14
Madams's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Well google is your friend.

Ok get chalk and make a line across the tire. Make sure you can see it. I also marked a bit of the sidewall. Then drive on a flat, clean street. All you need is a few tire rotations then check the line. If the center part of the line is worn or missing you have too much air. If the sides are worn you don't have enough air. Repeat as many times to get an even wear pattern.
thanks dude
Old 08-25-2011, 12:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madams View Post
OK just looked on side wall and the recommended psi was 35. Hadnt checked it with the pressure gauge cause I had one then one day i was using it, it broke on me. Going to go over to my buds house and check it over there.
FWIW Op my truck is pretty much the same as yours in weight. I have Michelin X's with a max sidewall recommendation of 35psi. I always run mine at 32 all around. You can do what you like-if you want better mileage, run 32-33psi. If you want a softer ride, 26-28psi is fine. At 32psi, my experience with these tires has been a nice mix of longevity mileage and ride. Just one man's method.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #17
Sport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Sport11's Tacoma Gallery
x2 on the 32 psi
Old 08-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Max pressure for any given tire has nothing to do with what you should be running in them. Max pressure for an E rated tire is probably triple what you would need in a Tacoma (some members are running E rated tires).

Do the chaulk test, it's the best way to determine if you have the correct amount of pressure in your tires.
Where in my post did I say to use max pressure?????
Old 08-25-2011, 12:47 PM   #19

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Where in my post did I say to use max pressure?????
Where in my post did I accuse of saying that? Your posts keep relating the max pressure to what should be run in the tires and you simply can not relate the two:

"Right I was going to suggest that because OP's truck is not that heavy. If max is 35, run 30-32psi. If max is 44, run 35-38psi and so on. Don't forget you need to put enough air in them to fully construct the tire."

The max pressure as indicated on the sidewall of the tire is simply how high you can inflate them to carry their max loading, it has nothing to to do with what you should run in the tires when unloaded for optimal tire wear.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post

What do you call this spunky? My posts suggest to NOT run max. I only refer to max as a guidline. Got it? Probably not. Have your toy kid.