Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

TPMS question on alloy OEM wheels - 2008 model

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
vinswitch is on a distinguished road
vinswitch's Tacoma Gallery
TPMS question on alloy OEM wheels - 2008 model

I went from 16in factory alloys to the 17in factory alloys. Kept my TPMS sensors. Went without using them for now and the dash throws the idiot light. Can I use the sensors from the 16in to the 17in? They fit flush on the inner portion of the 16in. The things don't lay flush on the 17in. I believe it is a 20 degree vs 40 degree TPMS. Will they still work if not fitting flush against the inner wall?Thank you!
Old 08-28-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinswitch View Post
I went from 16in factory alloys to the 17in factory alloys. Kept my TPMS sensors. Went without using them for now and the dash throws the idiot light. Can I use the sensors from the 16in to the 17in? They fit flush on the inner portion of the 16in. The things don't lay flush on the 17in. I believe it is a 20 degree vs 40 degree TPMS. Will they still work if not fitting flush against the inner wall?Thank you!
All of the alloys should be 20 degrees I believe, with the steels being 40.

I might have that backwards, but if you are going from alloy to alloy they should work fine.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
Figured it out

Ended up going the "pipe bomb" route...was going to cut the blue wire and run it to a hot wire but decided against it. I had done the pipe bomb canister a few days ago, but the darn TPMS light was still on the dash. Come to find out that the spare on my 2008 also had a sensor installed. After lowering the spare to gain access to the valve stem I learned that it was only at 25psi. I filled it up and now the TPMS light is gone! I'm one happy camper...plus I have the canister to keep me company
Old 09-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
picture

Here is my newborn...black as coal and hard as a rock. Quite big too; could be made smaller.
Attached Thumbnails
TPMS question on alloy OEM wheels - 2008 model-2038831650395_orig.jpeg  
Old 09-09-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
All of the alloys should be 20 degrees I believe, with the steels being 40.

I might have that backwards, but if you are going from alloy to alloy they should work fine.
Alloy to alloy works fine, I went from 16" baja alloys to 17" TRD Sport wheels and they swapped over no problem.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
Next time around I will just install them when swapping wheels. I had the Duratracs mounted on the sport alloys before the sensors were removed from the Off Road alloys. Oh well, the light is gone!