Help: KM2 vs Goodyear MTR vs TOYO MT?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
SeaPig173 is on a distinguished road

Army: De Oppresso Liber
SeaPig173's Tacoma Gallery
Help: KM2 vs Goodyear MTR vs TOYO MT?

I need some expert tire help:

Trying to replace my tires. Currently have the Procomp Xterrains; they lasted just about 30K miles which is ass! They are louder than I expected as well. The tread was great, and they worked well on the trail which compensates for the loud tires. They are 35 x 12.5 and they are rubbing. I have to drop a size to stop the rub (I think). Looking at:
  • LT295/70R-17 (33X11.50R-17LT) TOYO tire which is an E rated tire.
  • LT285/70R17, BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2, D rated tire.
  • LT285/70R-17, Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar Tire by Goodyear, D rated tire.
Trying to maintain the heavy load capacity, get a slightly quieter tire (if possible), get maximum mileage with an aggressive tread. I think slightly narrower will be better as well.

BTW I have an unused (only mounted, never used) Procomp Xterrain (35 x 12.5 x 17) that is for sale. Anyone looking for a full size spare may consider (I'll sell the tire for $200, PM me for details).

Cheers,
SP
Old 08-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
the three that you picked are probably equally awesome from everything i have read... the KM2 or MTR get my vote because toyos are stupid expensive

have you looked at cooper stt
Old 08-30-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
SeaPig173 is on a distinguished road

Army: De Oppresso Liber
SeaPig173's Tacoma Gallery
Doesn't the Toyo last longer, therefore offsetting the up front price? I have to replace my Procomp Xterrains after 30k miles...talk about expensive!

I have read good things about the coopers from one guy, but haven't seen them out and about. What do you know about them?

Thanks...SP
Old 08-30-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
k2rider is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
k2rider's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Toyo MT's on my current 2005 GMC 2500HD diesel. That truck is used essentially to pull my toy hauler to the desert and mountains. Other than that, it sits in the driveway. They have lasted maybe 30K miles and if I was keeping the truck, they would need to be replaced before this desert season.

Best tires I ever had were a set of Bridgestone REVO AT's on a 2001 Ford Supercrew 4x4. Lasted me 60K miles and rode like a dream with minimal noise. I also like the Toyo AT's alot. Probably what I'll go with on the new Prerunner I'm picking up this weekend.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
TiMe is a jewel in the roughTiMe is a jewel in the roughTiMe is a jewel in the rough
TiMe's Tacoma Gallery
I know someone with a 2nd gen Tacoma that got 85k out of a set of the Toyo M/T's
Old 01-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #7
rawdog has a spectacular aura aboutrawdog has a spectacular aura about

Name: Steve
rawdog's Tacoma Gallery
85k.......

I feel as thought i get 20-30k out of most of my tire sets..

duratracs mostly
Old 01-07-2014, 12:07 PM   #8
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
I'd look at the Nitto Trail Grappler as well.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:12 PM   #9
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
I ran 35x12.5R17 KM2s on my Dodge 2500 diesel. Got 52k out of them. At first they were smooth and quiet, but about 30k they got sort of rough and a little loud. I did have one tire that was slightly out of round, and because of that I couldnt put it on the front, so I actually only rotated these tires once at about 5k.
I currently have 285/75R16 Toyo MTs on my Ford F250 diesel. They have about 40k on them. I could probably get another 10k out of them. They still ride pretty smooth and are quiet. At least I cannot hear them over the 7.3, which isnt saying much.
I am debating which of these tires is next for my truck as well.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:49 PM   #10
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I just went through this same decision and ended up with the Hankooks MTs, they were way cheaper than everything else and got good reviews. Regardless, here is a site with good prices, I got the local Discount Tire to match their pricing, the Toyos are $50 less than retail for the 295s - http://www.onlinetires.com/products/...p+bsw+10p.html