1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help, I'm having a TPMS nightmare!

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by olgidni04, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Jun 10, 2007 at 6:12 PM
    olgidni04

olgidni04 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Arizona
    I have an '06 Taco that came with the 16' Steel Styled wheels. I bought new Discount Tire chrome rims and tires from the dealer and had them out them on. I was not told at the time that the TPMS light would come on and blink. They just told me that the system would not work because they could not get the sensors to fit the new tires. A month after the tires were put on the light came on and now they are telling me that it can't be turned off. They are now telling me that I'll have to get sensors for the new tires that run $80 a tire. I felt cheated and had it out with the service manager. Long story short I don't feel like I should have to pay for sensors so I asked that they figure out a way to get the light off. Tomorrow I am sending the truck back in so that they can 'try' to cover the light with black paint or tape. They said that the light can't be taken out as its a LED and on a board. Does this sound right? I'm at a loss as to what I should do

2. Jun 11, 2007 at 8:04 AM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    Get the sensors. They are there for a reason. Why have a truck with incomplete safety features? The tire shop told you the system would be messed up. Should have done your homework first.

3. Jun 11, 2007 at 2:39 PM
    Panama Red

Panama Red Well-Known Member

Member:
  4. Jun 11, 2007 at 4:42 PM
    olgidni04

olgidni04 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Arizona
    This is great. My service guy wants to pull out the dash and put black paint or tape on the light. This is something I can do and then change back if needed. Thanks!

5. Jun 11, 2007 at 4:47 PM
    olgidni04

olgidni04 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Arizona
    I agree that the sensors are nice but I wouldn't consider them a safety feature, more like a convenience feature. The dealership should of told me that this was going to happen since I bought the tires from them. They omitted information - but I guarantee that its the last time they'll get me.

6. Jun 12, 2007 at 11:26 AM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    If you don't think this is a safety feature then you've never had my experience.
    Once while on a trip I apparently picked up a nail and had a SLOW leak in my left rear tire. Car was fine going up the freeway and wasn't until I exited briskly on an offramp that my car almost flipped due to a low rear tire.
    A lot of luck and some skill combined with not panicing I managed to keep it upright but could have turned ugly.
    Though taught while taking flying lessons to pre-flight the plane everytime you go up, most of us don't practice this with a car. My tpms on my last car allerted me to a low tire as I started up the car. Inspection revealed a low tire due to a....NAIL. Saved me possibly having another bad experience.

Convenient, yes, Safety feature, ABSOLUTELY!

rmac010 likes this.
  7. Jun 13, 2007 at 11:43 PM
    olgidni04

olgidni04 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Arizona
    I have to agree that I, like many others have never had such a situation like yours. Although I must point out that this is my first car with TPMS and I have never had any Hollywood roll overs due to low tires in the past. I visually inspect my tires on a daily basis. However, none of this has anything to do with my original submission - thanks for the conversation!

8. Mar 27, 2020 at 7:02 AM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    Here is how I deal with it in my winter rims. I live with it and use a gauge weekly. Move on and assume it’s a little amber nightlight.

9. Mar 27, 2020 at 4:19 PM
    01 dhrracer

01 dhrracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palm Desert/Bermuda Dunes
    Vehicle:
    Still Shopping
    I would try a different Discount Tire. If they new that the sensors would not fit and the system would not work they should not have let your vehicle leave. Perhaps the new wheels require a different style of sensor if so they should know that and what are the proper sensors. I am not sure what they could have meant by not fitting. If they don't fit how did they get them to seal and not leak? Just so you know there is a Discount Tire forum.

10. Mar 27, 2020 at 4:44 PM
    Thegenerik1

Thegenerik1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB OR
    You just replied to a post from 13 years ago.

scottalot and RocTaco like this.
  11. Mar 29, 2020 at 3:27 AM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    Time fly’s when you’re having fun.

Products Discussed in

To Top