Notices

2011 TRD Sport owners ?? Tires

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
cms is on a distinguished road
cms's Tacoma Gallery
2011 TRD Sport owners ?? Tires

Guys,
I just bought a new 2011 DC TRD Sport long bed. The stock tires I think are 265/65R17 (30"). I'm thinking about putting on some Michelin LTX 265/70R17 (31" tire). Have any of you guys done this? Did it effect your MPG's? Did you have to recalibrate your speed odometer?

Thanks
Old 09-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms View Post
Guys,
I just bought a new 2011 DC TRD Sport long bed. The stock tires I think are 265/65R17 (30"). I'm thinking about putting on some Michelin LTX 265/70R17 (31" tire). Have any of you guys done this? Did it effect your MPG's? Did you have to recalibrate your speed odometer?

Thanks
Yes, Many people run that setup. You will find the speedometer is actually closer to right with the bigger tires than with the stockers.

Wait was I not supposed to answer because I don't have a trd sport?
Old 09-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
And if they are a bigger tire you get worse mpg...I get 16-17 in town and 14 on the highway.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
cms's Tacoma Gallery
No problem with me bud, I'm just looking for folks to chime in.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaTaco View Post
And if they are a bigger tire you get worse mpg...I get 16-17 in town and 14 on the highway.
You get worse mileage on the highway than in the city?
Old 09-06-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Yeah doesn't make sense to me either but thats what I get.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:32 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
I do worse on the highway vs the city also. Going from 265/65R17 to 265/70R17 didn't affect my city MPG's but helped my highway mileage. I firmly believe the RPM's are running too high on the highway and it's killing my mileage. Commuting for me is mixed backroads and then stop and go getting in and out of Boston and I'll consistantly get mid 19 MPG, on the highway with cruise set at around 75 I drop to mid 16's. If I slow down to 70 I'll come back to low 18's.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I do worse on the highway vs the city also. Going from 265/65R17 to 265/70R17 didn't affect my city MPG's but helped my highway mileage. I firmly believe the RPM's are running too high on the highway and it's killing my mileage. Commuting for me is mixed backroads and then stop and go getting in and out of Boston and I'll consistantly get mid 19 MPG, on the highway with cruise set at around 75 I drop to mid 16's. If I slow down to 70 I'll come back to low 18's.
Yeah I run around 80 on the highway which is only 5 over and my truck has to run at like 3000 rpms to keep it there, and when I go 75 the same thing happens...these trucks need a v8, but saying that on this site seems like is a sin....
Old 09-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms View Post
Guys,

Thanks

IMO ... Michelin LTX-AT2s & LTX-MS2s are the best tires out there (unless you are into extreme off roading).

I will put one of those on my 2011 soon. COSTCO or Discount Tire have some good prices and Discount will match COSTCO in my area too.

FWIW ... The tire guys at COSTCO expect a "$70.00 Michelin Rebate" at the end of this month and Discount Tire just had a good Labor Day Michelin sale.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:54 AM   #10
cms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSHeloPilot View Post

IMO ... Michelin LTX-AT2s & LTX-MS2s are the best tires out there (unless you are into extreme off roading).

I will put one of those on my 2011 soon. COSTCO or Discount Tire have some good prices and Discount will match COSTCO in my area too.

FWIW ... The tire guys at COSTCO expect a "$70.00 Michelin Rebate" at the end of this month and Discount Tire just had a good Labor Day Michelin sale.

Hey bud, what size Michelin are you going with?

Thanks