Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

how do you put the wheel in the tire?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
dpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant future
dpak's Tacoma Gallery
how do you put the wheel in the tire?

I will be purchasing wheels and tires separately and trying to find ways to save money. Rather than a paying a shop to put the wheel and tire together, is there a safe and easy way to do it yourself? Or is this something that shop should do?
Old 09-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
you need a shop. or a friend that works in a shop
Old 09-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
You can do it yourself but you'll scratch the hell out of your rims and there will be lots of choice 4-letter words. I've done it with ATV tires and that's a hell of a workout, truck tires wouldn't be fun to mount on your own. You're much better off taking it to a shop. Even if you did manage to mount the tires on the rim, you have no way to balance the tires.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
they are actually quite easy to mount but if you have to ask how, you probably should do it yourself my 2 cents
Old 09-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #5
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
me and my brother have done it with a forklift, pry bar, driving another car on top of the tire/wheel with desired tire on it (we were doing a swap). lots of cursing and scratched rims as mentioned before. just take it to a cheap shop that will do it is your best bet. . . . another idea, some high schools (mine did) with auto mechanics class have tire changers. guy that was a grade below me's family owned a tire shop. we'd take our tires in there and he would do it like a pro. so if you got a little brother, cousin, whatever in a high school shop class you could try that. free!!
Old 09-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #6
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post
me and my brother have done it with a forklift, pry bar, driving another car on top of the tire/wheel with desired tire on it (we were doing a swap). lots of cursing and scratched rims as mentioned before. just take it to a cheap shop that will do it is your best bet. . . . another idea, some high schools (mine did) with auto mechanics class have tire changers. guy that was a grade below me's family owned a tire shop. we'd take our tires in there and he would do it like a pro. so if you got a little brother, cousin, whatever in a high school shop class you could try that. free!!
or go to a technical school/city college with auto shop..worth the shot.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
dpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant future
dpak's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for everyone's input and you all have convinced that this is not task to do yourself. I guess I'll be packing PB&J sandwiches to work for the next few months to save money.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #8
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Find a local independent tire shop that has a hydraulic mounting machine..shouldn't cost more than $50 to get all 4 done.

Once they're mounted they will need to be balanced.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #9
Beretta Taco
Mescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant future

Firefighter: Come from a family of Army and Air Force
Name: Matt
Mescalero's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Find a local independent tire shop that has a hydraulic mounting machine..shouldn't cost more than $50 to get all 4 done.

Once they're mounted they will need to be balanced.
Find a walmart. Bastards only charge $5 to mount each tire and $5 each to balance ($7 per for lifetime balancing).

Cheapest option i believe.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
I Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I Liquid I's Tacoma Gallery
Many shops won't charge you for mounting the tire if you do the balancing with them. That's what happened to me. I ended up paying like $20 out the door with tires mounted and balanced.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #11
hetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud of
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Get down to the local Harbor Freight store...I have used one of their cheap machines to mount over a hundred motorcycle tires over the years...

Howard
Old 09-08-2011, 12:34 AM   #12
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mescalero View Post
Find a walmart. Bastards only charge $5 to mount each tire and $5 each to balance ($7 per for lifetime balancing).

Cheapest option i believe.
They will only mount new tires.
So watch what you bring in..

and some are stifflers..will only charge that fee if you buy tires from Walmart. Douches.