1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rotate in the Spare Tire/Wheel?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by tacomtn, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Sep 12, 2011 at 10:16 PM
    tacomtn

tacomtn [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR,OME,Deaver AAL
    I'm thinking of picking up a new set of wheels and heard they're going out of production. If I damage a wheel I won't be able to find a replacement they'll be gone. So, I thought of buying an extra wheel and tire to run in with rotation. I'd rather not buy an extra wheel/tire for "just in case" but it seems necessary since accidents can happen.

Are AT tires okay to rotate to the opposite side?

2. Sep 13, 2011 at 8:12 AM
    rbishopp

rbishopp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Webster, NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD Reg cab Taco. Keepin it simple.
    So far I've added an Advance folding bed cover and since removed it. Gave it to my son in Maine, he has an 05 2wd. GT perfect fit seat covers. Weathertech floor mats and window vent visors. Waag center brush/grill guard. Hose clamp tailgate mod. Turned off the seat belt chime. Added Ultra-Gauge. Trailer hitch. Softopper. Replaced sun visors with slide out style. Toyota bed extender. Had Firestone Destinations and now Michelin LTX AT2 in stock size. More mods to come; Fog lights, locking storage in bed, intermittent wipers. Now looking for Radio/HU upgrade. and maybe a lift way down the road.
    I had a GM truck that I rotated all five. I can't remember the pattern exactly. It was in the manual. Since then I haven't had a truck that recommended rotating all five. Only the four. I always took the rears straight forward and put the fronts on the opposite rear locations. Not sure how my dealer has been doing it for me lately since with age I'm becoming less excited about working on this stuff. Besides the cost for the oil change and routine stuff is worth having them do it.

3. Sep 13, 2011 at 8:25 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    There have been a few threads on why you shouldn't criss cross the tires when you rotate. I always go front to back only. Several tire manufactures still say it's acceptable to criss cross when rotating tires although every shop I've asked says they wouldn't because it wears out the belts faster. Invest in a tire plug kit, you're more apt to use that than replacing the tire unless you tear a sidewall or completely shred the tire.

4. Sep 13, 2011 at 8:27 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Criss-crossing bi-directional tires has no negative effects. Criss-crossing uni-directional tires is bad though.

I criss-cross the tires on my truck...in fact, just did it last night. I have never had any premature tire wear as a result.

5. Nov 7, 2011 at 5:47 AM
    xpert1111

xpert1111 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central NJ
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB Sport
    Manual on 2011 states not to criss cross

6. Nov 7, 2011 at 6:00 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    :confused: My 08 manual has directions and diagrams for rotating and swapping sides, as well as directions for including the spare in the rotation. The tires are normally the deciding factor in the decision. Tires which can only be rotated front to back will have a rotation directional arrow molded into them.

7. Nov 7, 2011 at 6:27 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Mine is the same way. There was a debate on this in a few other threads about whether tires should be criss crossed or not and it ended up most people said you shouldn't regardless of whether the tires are unidirectional or not. My tires can be criss crossed, even says so on the manufacturer's website however I do not because I've been told enough times that it can cause problems with the belts. I just rotate front to back and leave the ugly steel spare under the truck for a rainy day.

8. Nov 7, 2011 at 6:41 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    I bought a set of rims and center caps and put the spare on one. I still have three, two rims are for sale.

Products Discussed in

To Top