Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

how much tire pressure

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-01-2008, 09:40 AM   #1
ilovemytaco is on a distinguished road
ilovemytaco's Tacoma Gallery
how much tire pressure

i have a 08 tacoma 4dr 2wd with the stock rims and tires and i was wondering how much should my tire pressure be...i checked them and they all have about 28psi but when i look at the tire it says 50 psi max. so i was wondering how much is a good pressure to give a smoth ride and good gas mileage or is 28 enough?
thanx
Old 11-01-2008, 10:11 AM   #2
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
I would say 32 or 34 PSI. 50 PSI is the absolute max tire pressure that the tire can sustain safely, so I wouldn't go that high. I'd say 32 or 34 would be a good balance for comfort and MPG. What does the little sticker say on the driver's side door jamb?
Old 11-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
The sticker says
29 PSI front
32 PSI back (I think)

It's really all about personal preference.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:45 AM   #4
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoNut View Post
The sticker says
29 PSI front
32 PSI back
You are correct.

Open your driver's door and look at the sticker on the frame of the truck. 29/32 front/back is what it recommends. I run mine at 30-32 all the way around.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:59 PM   #6
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
In general...Lower pressure is softer ride with lower gas mileage. High you get...harder ride with better mpg response.
Using the stock recommendations is a good place to start.
Not really. Under-inflated tires can impact mileage because you're increasing the contact patch (more friction) but going over the recommended pressure doesn't do much to increase mileage because beyond the recommended pressure; you're not really reducing the contact patch size, just making the tire harder.

Even at 10psi lower than recommended, you might only see a 0.5 mpg drop.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:05 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrjohnson View Post
This is true. The best way I have found to determine the propper psi for your tires, as everyones are different, is to make a chalk line across your tread, from the out side of the tire, inward. Then drive it 100 feet or so, and see how much of the line is left. Idealy, you want to have the chalk completely removed except the last 1/8".
Old 11-01-2008, 04:08 PM   #8
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Not really. Under-inflated tires can impact mileage because you're increasing the contact patch (more friction) but going over the recommended pressure doesn't do much to increase mileage because beyond the recommended pressure; you're not really reducing the contact patch size, just making the tire harder.

For the stock tires you get a recommended pressure-I haven't seen many swapped tires that come with a recco'd psi. They have a max..but that's the only number I remember seeing on the spec sheets.

I'm all for the "You gotta try it out for yourself and find out what you like for a ride" method. After you like how the tires feel for your normal application-Make sure the pressure is still within specs for the tire.

For this one- my last comment is most important- Use the stock recommendations for a starting point and then adjust from there.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:10 PM   #9
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
This is true. The best way I have found to determine the propper psi for your tires, as everyones are different, is to make a chalk line across your tread, from the out side of the tire, inward. Then drive it 100 feet or so, and see how much of the line is left. Idealy, you want to have the chalk completely removed except the last 1/8".
Good method for finding the right pressure. You're so gall durn smart.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:13 PM   #10
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
For the stock tires you get a recommended pressure-
Original post:
Quote:
2wd with the stock rims and tires
Good point though.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:15 PM   #11
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah...I know...I read it.

If you read my post you'd see that the last line says

Quote:
Using the stock recommendations is a good place to start.
That's a starting place. The in general stuff can help the OP tailor his truck to his liking. so can chris's method. so can alot of other things....That's why the forum is here...to discuss.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:18 PM   #12
cmytacoma is a splendid one to beholdcmytacoma is a splendid one to beholdcmytacoma is a splendid one to beholdcmytacoma is a splendid one to beholdcmytacoma is a splendid one to beholdcmytacoma is a splendid one to beholdcmytacoma is a splendid one to beholdcmytacoma is a splendid one to behold

cmytacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I would have to agree with Brunes Here! He didn't say fill to 50 and you'll get 30 mpgs, he said running them softer the less mileage and harder=more which is a prety basic rule of thumb. I'm NOT saying that what you stated was incorrect but i think you're getting too technical on a pretty basic question.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:24 PM   #13
Ken Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point

Ken Dawg's Tacoma Gallery
its a truck...not a mercedes

i run them at max...do that with harley etc. also

now a 3/4 ton 4x4 i will back off 5-8 lbs from max.

this all said its really personal preference.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmytacoma View Post
I would have to agree with Brunes Here! He didn't say fill to 50 and you'll get 30 mpgs, he said running them softer the less mileage and harder=more which is a prety basic rule of thumb.
It's not correct though, so it's not a basic rule of thumb. Underinflating will impact mileage, inflating beyond the recommended pressure won't increase mileage. It may affect ride quality, but you won't boost mpg. And for the record, I said he did have a good point.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Dawg View Post
its a truck...not a mercedes

i run them at max...do that with harley etc. also

now a 3/4 ton 4x4 i will back off 5-8 lbs from max.

this all said its really personal preference.
Motorcyles are different because they have a rounded tire. Inflating a motorcycle tire beyond the recommended pressure reduces the contact patch, and traction.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:34 PM   #16
Ken Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point

Ken Dawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Motorcyles are different because they have a rounded tire. Inflating a motorcycle tire beyond the recommended pressure reduces the contact patch, and traction.

who is past the recommended tire pressure??
Old 11-01-2008, 04:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Dawg View Post
who is past the recommended tire pressure??
Didn't say you were. I said overinflating a mc tire does reduce the contact patch, as opposed to car/truck tires.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:17 PM   #19
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
Just a note for those running much more pressure than the manual/door jam says. Besides the lesser contact patch, a few years ago I found running too high of pressure caused the middle of the tire to wear much quicker than the outsides. Keeping around the recommended psi, tire wears even, good traction, mpg is where it should be. Heavy loads I'll add a few more.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:23 PM   #20
futile will become famous soon enoughfutile will become famous soon enough
Marines:
futile's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Excellent idea. I've never heard of it before...