LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

How do you get a wider stance on a 2nd gen taco?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
veet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the rough

veet skeet's Tacoma Gallery
How do you get a wider stance on a 2nd gen taco?

Just like the title says. How do you get a wider stance on 2nd gen tacomas without the use of wheel spacers?

I want to widen the stance of my truck, but I don't know how. What things do I have to do or get to widen my trucks stance? Thanks!
Old 09-24-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Different backspacing on your wheels or you could go Long travel.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:53 PM   #5
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by veet skeet View Post
What's the most backspacing you can get on your wheels for a tacoma?
Idk. you could start rubbing you cab mount if you go to much, but idk where that point it.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:57 PM   #6
veet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the roughveet skeet is a jewel in the rough

Here's the setup I have right now.

Bilstein 5100's all around. Front at 2.5'
I don't have any lift in the back so the front is a little bit higher than the back, but I plan on getting a dealer TSB soon.

Was thinking about running 285/70/17 but IDK how much it'll rub and how much I'd have to trim on the cab mount.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What's the most backspacing you can get on your wheels for a tacoma?
4.0 is about the limit on 2nd gens. You'll start rubbing on the outside of the tire if you go less than that.

And to clarify, if you want a wider stance, you want less backspacing, not more.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
4.0 is about the limit on 2nd gens. You'll start rubbing on the outside of the tire if you go less than that.

And to clarify, if you want a wider stance, you want less backspacing, not more.
So negative backspacing will give you more of a wider stance?
Old 09-25-2011, 11:29 AM   #9
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So negative backspacing will give you more of a wider stance?
Negative backspacing would mean the rim mounting point is further out than the back of the rim....no such thing, at least on these trucks...some duallies might have that but
Old 09-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #11
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Lemme try to get this straight haha.

So if I wanted to get new wheels and tires for a wider stance, what offset would I have to get? +12? 0? -12?
-12 will stick out the most, but we also need to know the rims width to calculate backspacing, and the tire size, to see if they will fit.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:33 AM   #13
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktacoma23 View Post
^ -12

Edit: damn KPT is fast
I have this little chip in my head that dings when a wheel related question is posted

Old 09-25-2011, 11:51 AM   #14
tacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
I get confused with how backspacing and offset affect the overall wheel fit.

Backspacing (inches) is the measurement from the back of the hub to the inner wheel rim, yes?

Offset (mm) is the measurement of the hub offset from the exact center of the wheel, - or +, yes?

Does the hub thickness play into these numbers for offset and backspacing?
Old 09-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #15
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomtn View Post
I get confused with how backspacing and offset affect the overall wheel fit.

Backspacing (inches) is the measurement from the back of the hub to the inner wheel rim, yes?

Offset (mm) is the measurement of the hub offset from the exact center of the wheel, - or +, yes?

Does the hub thickness play into these numbers for offset and backspacing?
Backspacing is the distance from the wheel mounting point to the back of the rim. Offset is the distance from the center of the rim to the wheel mounting point. So hub thickness affects both equally. One confusing thing is that "width" is not actually the width of the wheel, it's the distance between the bead seats. So the rim is actually about an inch wider than the advertised "width".
Old 09-25-2011, 12:47 PM   #16
tacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking at the Ultra Rouge wheels with these specs.

17x8 4 7/8 BS +10 Offset 108 hub bore.

Will this come too close to the UCAs or present other problems?
Old 09-25-2011, 12:57 PM   #18
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomtn View Post
I'm looking at the Ultra Rouge wheels with these specs.

17x8 4 7/8 BS +10 Offset 108 hub bore.

Will this come too close to the UCAs or present other problems?
What size tires?
Quote:
Oh okay gotcha. I was thinking of running this:

I have 265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers

Either:

17x9 Ballistic Jesters
17x9 Revolvers

Both I believe have rims that come in -12 offset.

Would that make me have a wider stance?
The LT or P- metric terra grapplers? The LTs aren't approved for 9" wide rims in that size.....too wide of a rim.

Anyways, a 9" wide rim with -12 offset (4.5" bs), will stick out 2" more than your stock rims.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:03 PM   #20
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I believe mine are the P-metrics. I am running TRD sport rims on em right now.
So my tires would fit a 17x9 -12 offset rim?
According to the nitto website, yes.