Notices

How do you remove spare tire?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-01-2008, 08:05 PM   #1
Wtf am i suppose to type here?
LazyRyan has a spectacular aura aboutLazyRyan has a spectacular aura about
LazyRyan's Tacoma Gallery
How do you remove spare tire?

i cant see crap down that hole on top of the license plate. whats supposed to go down there and how do u get the tire out?
Old 11-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Put all the extensions on your jack handle. The curved end goes into the hole and you will feel a "notch" that it fits into. Rotate the handle counter clock wise and it will lower the spare.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:08 PM   #3
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
There is a kit in a black bag next to your jack, # long poles you hook the together and sick it in the hole youll need a flashlight to see the cranks and just crank the tire down.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
Rtfm
Old 11-01-2008, 08:16 PM   #5
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
I actually lowered my spare for the first time ever today... Just get a flashlight to look down that hole and it's a LOT easier. You're literally feeling around in the dark if you don't.

Read your owner's manual, too. It has descriptions, drawings, etc. They certainly helped me.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:22 PM   #6
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Wow.. I'll be damned... Some questions are best not asked!

j/k

A little light will help. Not that hard dont give up...
Old 11-01-2008, 11:53 PM   #7
Wtf am i suppose to type here?
LazyRyan has a spectacular aura aboutLazyRyan has a spectacular aura about
LazyRyan's Tacoma Gallery
haha yeah i kno. just felt a bit "lazy" to read the manual. thanks for the help
Old 11-02-2008, 12:20 AM   #8
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyRyan View Post
haha yeah i kno. just felt a bit "lazy" to read the manual. thanks for the help
Thus for your user name, huh? I guess next time some of us will be too "lazy" to give you the answer.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:16 AM   #9
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxspin72 View Post
Wow.. I'll be damned... Some questions are best not asked!

j/k

A little light will help. Not that hard dont give up...
yeah yeah, enough with the sexual innuendos question about the spare though.... is the spare under a truck with alloy different than the ones with steelies? if i recall the lugs are different so thats what made me thing of it. i sold my alloys to my girlfriends dad and bought his steelies for studded tires but i want to make sure we can both use our spares still.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:11 AM   #11
45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45longcolt's Tacoma Gallery
If you ever lower your spare for any reason fresh from the factory flip it over so you can get to the valve stem.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:41 AM   #12
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45longcolt View Post
If you ever lower your spare for any reason fresh from the factory flip it over so you can get to the valve stem.
I flipped mine yesterday while I had it down... The owner's manual says to always keep the front of the tire facing up. Obviously I disobeyed, but anybody know the reason they say to keep it like that?

Also, when I brought it down, I noticed that the front of the tire (which had been facing up) had some pretty deep grooves in it from where it had been held up against the truck. I guess that's normal?
Old 11-02-2008, 03:38 PM   #13
skammer is on a distinguished road
skammer's Tacoma Gallery
I read the manual, and I think it is wrong. Or I am probably wrong. Should I remove the silver piece from around the hook before I stick the hook in? Or does the hook itself latch onto something that lowers the tire?
Old 11-03-2008, 05:47 AM   #14
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I lowered mine too this weekend to get the TPMS light to go out, it musta been lower your spare day.

I don't have a compressor so I stuck it in the bed, drove to a gas station, filled it to spec, drove back home, greased the cable mechanism, and remounted the opposite way with valve down like some have suggested here. Its staying that way.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:56 AM   #15

mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skammer View Post
I read the manual, and I think it is wrong. Or I am probably wrong. Should I remove the silver piece from around the hook before I stick the hook in? Or does the hook itself latch onto something that lowers the tire?
I wish I could see what you're talking about. I don't remember a silver piece around the hooked end of mine. Can you post some pics?
Old 11-03-2008, 06:35 AM   #16
skammer is on a distinguished road
skammer's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah. I will post some pics this evening. What a headache this is though! I am glad I decided to do this at home, and my wife wasn't trying to figure it out on the side of the road somewhere!
Old 04-28-2009, 04:41 PM   #17
rein7543 is on a distinguished road
rein7543's Tacoma Gallery
The lowering screw?

Okay, so I go to lower my spare, and after fumbling in the dark to fit the 'curved end' of the rod in the 'slot', I decide to try the flashlight route. My Tacoma does not have a slot, it has a circular receiver of some kind that would appear to use a driver very much like one used on the anti-theft nuts on my rims. The anti-theft socket it came with does not fit, nor does anything my truck came with. Is the spare just for show? Has anyone heard of this phenomenon?
Old 09-02-2009, 07:26 PM   #18
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rein7543 View Post
Okay, so I go to lower my spare, and after fumbling in the dark to fit the 'curved end' of the rod in the 'slot', I decide to try the flashlight route. My Tacoma does not have a slot, it has a circular receiver of some kind that would appear to use a driver very much like one used on the anti-theft nuts on my rims. The anti-theft socket it came with does not fit, nor does anything my truck came with. Is the spare just for show? Has anyone heard of this phenomenon?
Bump... I just brought my "new" 06 2wd 4cyl Access Cab home last weekend and am going through it to get acquainted. I am also having trouble with the spare lowering mechanism. I used a flashlight to see into that tiny slot and there is nothing for the hook end of the jack/handle to engage - see pics:

What looks like a slot is actually the raised area so it would require some sort of claw device to grab this. Please help. THx in advance

-noob
Old 09-02-2009, 07:36 PM   #19
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The "Hook" part fits into the slot in the thing you are looking at.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #20
Begin With The End In Mind.
carmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KEVIN
carmellocafe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGXR View Post
Bump... I just brought my "new" 06 2wd 4cyl Access Cab home last weekend and am going through it to get acquainted. I am also having trouble with the spare lowering mechanism. I used a flashlight to see into that tiny slot and there is nothing for the hook end of the jack/handle to engage - see pics:

What looks like a slot is actually the raised area so it would require some sort of claw device to grab this. Please help. THx in advance

-noob
That's it--The hook fits into it much like a flathead screwdriver fits into a flathead screw.